Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 1

Camera RAW

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

davsamp
davsamp e2 Member 10davsamp vcard United Kingdom
22 Aug 2012 - 5:20 PM

I have recently bought a Canon EOS 650D (upgraded from the 550D) and take all my pictures in the RAW (CR2) format. Unfortunately, although I have installed the latest upgrades for Photoshop Elements 10 my new 650D photos are apparently not supported - or when I attempt to open I get a message to the effect that they are the wrong format.

I have attempted to install camera RAW 7 and 7.1 (which I understand includes new cameras such as the EOS 650D) but this does not appear to be compatible with Elements 10. So, at the moment I have no way to process my RAW files. Has anyone else come across this problem and can assist in finding a solution.

I have tried to contact Adobe UK about this but so far they're shown no interest.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 22 Aug 2012 - 5:40 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Aug 2012 - 5:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
strawman  1021999 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 5:36 PM

Yes with your camera you should have received a copy of DPP on a CD, install it and use it. you will find its a more flexible, and I would say better, RAW converter than the one that ships with Elements. It just has a different user interface. You can set it up such that you browse and view the RAW files in DPP and when you are ready to convert it can open Elements 10 with the converted image ready to edit.

Its a common issue with new cameras.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
mikehit
mikehit  46148 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 5:49 PM

PLEASE DON'T SHOUT!

I think Elements 10 only supports RAW 6.x which may explain why you cannot open images from CameraRAW 7. When you have done the work in CRAW7, are you converting to JPEG for further processing?

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 6:21 PM

you should do your raw images in canon's DPP ! much more better than photoshop !

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
22 Aug 2012 - 10:23 PM

You could use Adobe's DNG Convertor utility to convert your CR2 files to DNG, which Elements should be quite happy to read.

User_Removed
23 Aug 2012 - 12:25 AM

I also recommend that you try DPP. Here's some fabulous Canon DPP tutorials to get you started:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCD7AA7E58615DDBB&feature=plcp

Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4513 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2012 - 3:43 PM

I use Adobe DNG converter (free from their website) for incompatible files in PSE 8......works every time !!

I've tried Canon's DPP, but I just don't like it ??????

ckristoff
ckristoff  9936 forum posts Wales
25 Aug 2012 - 6:41 PM

Hello Niknut,

why don't you like DPP? For starters it is designed for EOS cameras.

Frank.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54203 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2012 - 9:30 AM

I tried to use DPP too when I bought the S100 as E9 didn't support the RAW files but it seemed so clunky compared with ACR that I had to give in and upgrade to E10. I vowed it was the last time I'd do that a I don't like the idea of being locked in to Adobe so if I ever get another camera I'll try DPP again. Not my converter of choice though.

User_Removed
26 Aug 2012 - 3:46 PM

You've got to learn the workflow (the videos help). I hated DPP when I first used it. Actually I hated Photoshop when I first used that, found it really confusing compared to PSP and DPaint, not now though.

Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4513 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2012 - 4:11 PM

Hi Frank......I had Canon's DPP on disc with my D50, installed it & used it a few times, but it doesn't have the slick layout & logical
workflow of Adobe Camera RAW, which I've always used.......

DPP just doesn't seem to have the level of control finesse ??.....so I uninstalled it !....no point in having two RAW processors !!

It's just personal preference.......

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43600 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2012 - 5:46 PM

Quote: Hi Frank......I had Canon's DPP on disc with my D50, installed it & used it a few times, but it doesn't have the slick layout & logical
workflow of Adobe Camera RAW, which I've always used.......

DPP just doesn't seem to have the level of control finesse ??.....so I uninstalled it !....no point in having two RAW processors !!

It's just personal preference.......

Agree with Keith on this. Have tried DPP and ACR and found I got on better with ACR and that it suited my preferences better.

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 26 Aug 2012 - 5:46 PM
strawman
strawman  1021999 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2012 - 9:09 PM

It has a logical layout, just not the Adobe one. If you give it a try you will find it has features that Adobe do not offer on the ACR that comes with elements plus I think it provides a better balance of detail v's noise reduction. add in the handy lens correction features for the lower costs lenses or compacts and its far better. But it does take some time to get used to. Its not as good as capture 1 but ahead of the elements version of Camera RAW.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2012 - 9:17 PM

Take a look at RawTherapee Here you will find a program that will read and extract RAW files in a similar way to LightRoom, DPP and Capture1, only much cheaper!!!........FREE!!!

It's not for everyone, but it does the job well with most camera RAW formats....

Ade

rickie
rickie e2 Member 998 forum postsrickie vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2012 - 9:11 PM

I use dpp every day,Love it
Do most adjustments on it and then transfer to photoshop for finishing.
Try it,its for canon cameras
SIMPLE AS THAT.....................................

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.