Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Camera RAW

StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
27 Aug 2012 9:15PM
I agree, when I was using Canon, I wouldn't use anything else but DPP. I think it's the cat's ass.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ckristoff 10 942 Wales
30 Aug 2012 9:14PM
Niknut,

thanks for your reply.

In my own scheme of things, I've never looked at ACR. Since I have the original edition of CS, there's no way it would cope with my 7D.

I've since bought paintshop pro X4, which I'm in the middle of experimenting with. I'm still trying to understand DPP. I'm starting to use the video tutorials for DPP. Just need to get my head engaged with the project in hand. I've also purchased an e-book for DPP, so I may yet get to grips with the wonderful world of photo processing!

Frank.
colin beeley e2
11 1.1k 10 England
31 Aug 2012 6:38AM
just try DPP !
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
31 Aug 2012 11:04AM
I wouldn't mind giving DPP another run, but as I have a motley collection of lenses it seems I may be better off sticking to LR. In particular, a fast third-party 50mm that is very prone to axial CA - which I can't fix in DPP but which can be addressed in v4.2 Lightroom.

Don't know if Canon intend ever including third-party lens profiles in their Digital Lens Optimizer, but being proprietary software it'd be optimistic to expect it I suppose.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
31 Aug 2012 11:07AM

Quote:Don't know if Canon intend ever including third-party lens profiles in their Digital Lens Optimizer

Highly unlikely!

I use ACR for both Olympus and Canon RAW files. I have tried DPP, but found it a bit clunky. To some extent it's a question of what you become used to, though.
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
31 Aug 2012 11:36AM

Quote:I use ACR for both Olympus and Canon RAW files. I have tried DPP, but found it a bit clunky. To some extent it's a question of what you become used to, though.

I have become used to various raw convertors, but DPP always did a great job with colour, in particular. It's very easy to get files looking good with minimal effort, despite a UI that's often seen as clunky.

Lightroom/ACR just looks like a fuller box of tricks for Canon unfaithfuls like me (seems a strange way to label myself having spent many thousands on their camera bodies and 'some' of their lenses).
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
31 Aug 2012 11:42AM
I might give DPP another go for Canon RAWs. As I understand it, the software has been improved over the years.

I don't mind what I use for RAWs so long as it's effortless! Wink
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
31 Aug 2012 11:46AM
As I pointed out earlier in the thread before getting slated for it, there are other 'FREE' alternatives, personally myself I've never had any bother with DDP, especially the latest version which has some clever little tricks up it's sleeve.

Ade
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
31 Aug 2012 3:32PM

Quote:clever little tricks up it's sleeve

Quote:ahead of the elements version of Camera RAW.
It's all very well you saying that but what are the advantages over ACR? I could never find any. Is there an equivalent of the Clarity slider?
colin beeley e2
11 1.1k 10 England
31 Aug 2012 4:25PM
canon's DPP used to be not very good so i thought , but i went back for a look & have stuck with it this last year & it is so much better now Wink
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2012 5:10PM

Quote: It's all very well you saying that but what are the advantages over ACR? I could never find any. Is there an equivalent of the Clarity slider?

I have not noticed any substantial benefit of DPP over Lightroom/ACR but some experienced photographers prefer the way DPP renders colours. I think my technical ability (or lack of!) is a far more limiting factor than the veracity of DPP ! Tongue
colin beeley e2
11 1.1k 10 England
31 Aug 2012 5:42PM
i can tell you one big thing of DPP over lightroom , its free with your camera !!
31 Aug 2012 9:42PM
Biggest benefit of Lightroom over DPP, it works better.
Give DPP a folder of 1000 images and I might was well kiss my computer goodbye for a day.
In that time I can get Lightroom to process every image I took in 2010, 2011 and 2012 - on any camera (not just Canon).
I am not sure that for me DPP is even worth what I paid for it.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2012 9:54PM
You're mixing up faster with better.

I think DPP is definitely a bit slow at the batch processing I'll give you that. doesn't mean LR does a better job. At least DPP does batch processing. There's no way I'd do em one at a time in ACR and Elements if the OP was to upgrade that.

DPP is the only one that saves your adjustments to your actual raw file. I too love the way it handles colour (no wonder as it's the same software routines that are used in camera Canon's fab jpegs)

A lot of people who criticise DPP probably haven't updated the version they got with their camera to the latest version.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
1 Sep 2012 12:34AM
What is the very latest version of DPP?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.