Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 1

Camera RAW

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 4:27 PM

Maybe Adobe add a little insider knowledge of their own to the manufacturers' spec! Wink

I have given DPP a try with Canon RAW files recently. Maybe just a question of getting used to it, but I decided not to persevere.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Oct 2012 - 4:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mlewis
mlewis  91475 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 - 4:30 PM

Quote: The reason Adobe can't read Foveon sensors has nothing to do with talking to Sigma. Adobe has big trouble with raw files from Fuji Foveon sensors, is that because they don't talk to Sigma or they aren't as good at writing software for Foveon sensors. Sigma's boss said on Twitter they send Adobe loads of info. Adobe can't do the job properly.

Fuji don't do Foveon sensors. Only Sigma cameras have them. Sigma owns the technology and they are the only user.

Quote:
Most camera manufacturers do talk with Adobe

How do you know this?

Why is it when a new camera comes out it's not already supported by Adobe? Because they don't talk is why.

Luminous Landscape's interview with Adobe's Eric Chan is how I know.

mlewis
mlewis  91475 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 - 4:33 PM

Quote:
Canon use insider knowledge for their software and support Canon cameras before anyone else does. End result is what matters and I prefer the output from DPP to that of ACR.

Because Adobe produce such excellent software there's a misconception they are going to be better at every aspect. I don't think they are better with Canon raw than Canon are.

There is nothing wrong with preferring to use Canon's DPP. Personally I prefer what I can do with Lightroom.

If camera makers had a DNG option it would help consumers though. Nearly every time a new camera is released people complain they have to wait for software other than the manufacturer (which can be not very good) supplies to support it.

User_Removed
8 Oct 2012 - 4:40 PM

Fuji do a knock off of Foveon. They can't call it Foveon as it is a brand name - like Sellotape, Biro, Jacuzzi, Portakabin, Dictaphone etc.

Quote: Nearly every time a new camera is released people complain they have to wait for software other than the manufacturer

I thought you said they talk, must be talking about the weather Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Oct 2012 - 4:42 PM
Fencer
Fencer  8
27 Oct 2012 - 1:39 PM

Check out Qimage. Steep, (very), learning curve but leaves you feeling like a genius when mastered. Technically very advanced and how many programmes do you have where you can e-mail the designer for a personal answer to a problem. Superb results and very fairly priced. I think a free trial is still available.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.