Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Camera Raw Update

camay 7 132 3 Scotland
28 Sep 2013 12:08PM
I run Lightroom 4 and Elements 11 on my computer. I have ordered the Olympus OMD EM1 which should arrive in November. Adobe have brought out an updated version of Camera Raw which supports the new camera, great that they are ahead of the game, but I can't find any way to upgrade the camera raw in the programs. Yes I can download the Raw Converter but I would rather do it in the programs. I am not prepared to spend any more money on photography at the moment, I will have spent enough! I have upgraded Lightroom to the latest version, not Elements though.
Can anyone help me, is there a way to upgrade raw without buying Lightroom 5 or Elements 12?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redhed17 9 680 England
28 Sep 2013 12:43PM
Not as far as I know.

I can't find anywhere it says that Elements 11 is compatible with the Camera Raw 5.2 update. The Camera Raw plugin in Elements is a cut down version of the Plugin in Photoshop though.

Once Lightroom 5 came out support for new camera RAW files stopped.

If the Elements 11 update didn't work, the options are to pay the money to get Lightroom updated to v5, convert your RAW files to DNG files, or find another RAW processor.

The Olympus may come with RAW software too, which may be another option.
camay 7 132 3 Scotland
28 Sep 2013 1:33PM
The Olympus will certainly have some way of dealing with the RAW files, if all they did was to convert them to dng I would be happy, but I'm sure that won't happen. Their program will be an editing program and convert them to jpg probably. I shall download the free Raw Converter that Adobe has and use it, it just means several extra steps in processing.
Thanks anyway.
Lynne
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
28 Sep 2013 3:31PM
I assume that you've manually updated Elements 11 by clicking on updates that's on the help tab?

Ken
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
28 Sep 2013 4:43PM
E11 will only update so far. Now that E12's out I don't expect the new cameras will be covered by the E11 converter.
Dave_Canon 8 940 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2013 4:58PM
I do not wish to be unsympathetic but when investing in a new camera, it is important to look at the total cost of the upgrade. Upgrading a camera may require a new lens, accessories and a software update. It looks as if your new camera costs about 1300 so an additional 53 to upgrade to LR5 would not be a huge increase.

I have not upgraded LR4 to LR5 myself as there seems to be little difference but clearly I would if I bought a new camera as Raw processing in LR would be essential for me. As a temporary measure (assuming that you process Raw files in LR), a good solution would be to use the free Adobe DNG converter. This potentially adds another step in the process but I believe that LR could produce the DNG versions as part of the import process. Updating Elements would not be the best option in my view as it does not have many of the editing features found in LR and will cost about the same. If you did most your editing in LR, you will probably only need Element for working on Layers and cloning and an earlier version will be fine.

Dave
camay 7 132 3 Scotland
28 Sep 2013 6:59PM
Dave, that's exactly what I do, work mainly in Lightroom then use Elements for any cloning and small changes that are needed. Like you I am not sure it's worth upgrading LR just now, perhaps on Black Friday I will do so, (I love a bargain and the camera is anything but that so I have to let the bank balance recover!) until then I will use the raw converter, which is what I did before I had LR and was still working with Elements 5.
Ken I managed to upgrade LR4 but the PE11 eluded me, I have now done so and thank you, however the raw converter is newer than the upgrade (v8.** rather than 7.4), so at the beginning it will be raw converter, LR then PE11. An extra step but hey ho that's life. At least I am all up to date, and I don't have to use only JPG's for the first few months as Adobe is ahead of the camera.
Lynne
Gundog 1 624 Scotland
28 Sep 2013 9:03PM
Lynne,

Look at an upgrade to LR5 as being an investment of 10 per week from now until your new camera arrives.

Apart from dealing with your new Raw files, LR5 has many great enhancements over LR4 that really make it a worthwhile upgrade anyway.

LR5 will still give you the "Edit in Elements 11" option and, when it cribs at not having the latest ACR installed, you simply click on the "Render in Lightroom" option for perfect results.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
29 Sep 2013 9:56AM

Quote:LR5 has many great enhancements over LR4

I am beginning to like the automatic area sampling of the spot / heal feature, especially now it has been improved in LR 5.2.
But, I found the best new feature and the one I use on practically every image is the Upright feature that makes a great job of levelling horizontals and correcting verticals.
camay 7 132 3 Scotland
29 Sep 2013 11:09AM
Jeff, the last sounds great as I seem to be incapable of taking a photo with a level horizon, especially in portrait mode!
Gundog, I have thought of your reasoning and am going along with it, I have just ordered the upgrade to LR5, but I will leave PS11 for the moment, so I should be able to skip a step in LR. Thanks all for your help.
Lynne
redhed17 9 680 England
29 Sep 2013 12:35PM

Quote:I found the best new feature and the one I use on practically every image is the Upright feature that makes a great job of levelling horizontals and correcting verticals.

The straightening in L4 and earlier is one of the main reasons I use Camera Raw in CS6. In Camera Raw I can zoom into the image to use the straightening tool on a small part of the image, which as far as I know you can't do in LR, even in LR5. The Upright feature has been betting good reports, but I can envisage the odd scene where it may not work.

If they just made the straightening work the same in LR as in Camera Raw, I would probably use it all the time.

Glad the OP has sorted out their problem. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.