Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Camera RAW updates

Rende e2
7 37 4 Netherlands
12 Nov 2008 11:38AM
In September I bought Photoshop CS3.3 and I'm particularly pleased with the Camera RAW in Bridge. I'm now contemplating buying the new Canon G10 as a carry around next to my 40D, mainly for its capacity to shoot in RAW.
Can anyone tell me if Adobe will update the Camera RAW software in PS 3.3 to handle the RAW files from the G10, or do they reserve those updates for the latest CS4 only.? In that case the G10 would be useless to me.
Thanks for any info or suggestions.
Rende

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2008 11:56AM
The good news is it is a chance for you to find out the much better RAW converters out there. If its like Canon's 50D as reported, and also my experience with the 40D, DPP will produce a sharper output with less noise if it does the RAW conversion. As does C1.

So my view is if you like the G10 get it an try DPP out. No doubt Adobe will not give you access to a revised RAW converter, but that is another example of their poor customer support and another reason to not support them.

The sooner we all act together and stop giving into Adobe's unreasonable support policy the better.

Just a view Smile
Henchard e2
9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2008 11:57AM
According to Adobe the G10 is not yet supported in Camera RAW 5.1 .

ACR 5.0 and above is only supported in CS4, Lightroom 2.0 (not sure about the latest version of PS Elements but think it is Elements 6.0).

It's presumably part of Adobe's strategy to milk the consumer of as much money as possible.
Rende e2
7 37 4 Netherlands
12 Nov 2008 12:05PM
Thanks John, I have been using DPP for years with my 400D and 40D and find Camera RAW much more versatile in toning, colouring and sharpening. I do agree with you about the support policy though; it's a major undertaking to get a question to them, and until now they haven't answered yet. For their software prices, the least they can do is to be customer friendly!
Rende
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2008 12:22PM
Yes its why I ended up with C1, as it gives me the subtle control and the better output. And the support is for a longer time period.
Rende e2
7 37 4 Netherlands
12 Nov 2008 1:11PM
Looks good, but I've just invested in the PScs3.3 after many years of trying to avoid the inflated price and at the moment I'm not keen to invest in yet more software.( I teamed up with my wife who's a graphic designer, and bought the whole creative suite on Ebay)
Rende e2
7 37 4 Netherlands
12 Nov 2008 1:16PM
Thank you Henchard; I was hoping that Adobe would update their software like Microsoft does. They still update Windows XP even though Vista is now the recent version (for however long that may be Wink )
Henchard e2
9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2008 1:16PM
Once the free Adobe DNG converter is updated you could probably work around by converting G10 RAW into DNG then use CS3
Rende e2
7 37 4 Netherlands
12 Nov 2008 1:18PM
Ah, that's a good idea; thank you!
mdpontin e2
10 6.0k Scotland
12 Nov 2008 1:19PM
Well according to this page on Adobe's website...

Quote:Camera Raw 5 and later is not compatible with Photoshop CS3

So I guess that already presents a problem for us CS3 users, assuming we were depending on Adobe Camera Raw. There's always the workaround of using the Adobe DNG Converter, as that's a free stand-alone app. which comes with the latest version of ACR. It's hardly ideal though, in terms of an efficient workflow.

Given how much it cost to upgrade from CS to CS3, I've no intention of upgrading again any time soon. At the moment, ACR isn't a problem as both of my cameras are supported by the version I have, but I'm sure there are other solutions out there which are at least as good, and probably less expensive over time.
Little Jo e2
13 2.3k United Kingdom
12 Nov 2008 5:36PM
There is no Adobe raw support for the G10 yet. V4.6 (for CS3) and 5.1 for CS4 don't support the camera. I'm not sure what you mean by Adobe CS3.3.............Adobe CS3 has updates, but in terms of version, it's v10.xx.

If you purchased CS3 after CS4 was announced, you should get a free upgrade to CS4. That depends when in September you bought CS3. Why not have a word with Adobe Customer Services.

CS4 is having one or two teething problems with some of the advanced features, but it's good if your computer can support it.

Jo
Rende e2
7 37 4 Netherlands
12 Nov 2008 6:13PM
Thank you Jo; CS3.3 is the latest version of CS3 with some interesting upgrades, notably in Camera RAW. I am aware that the G10 is not supported in any Camera RAW version yet, but my question referred more to the update policy of Adobe i.e. whether the RAW codes of newer cameras are also updated to the less than latest versions of their software.
The possible upgrade to CS4 is a good tip; I'm in the process of trying to get that, but since I bought it on September 4th it's a border line case. If they do o.k. the upgrade, then my potential problem is solved. I'll keep you posted.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.