Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Camera recommedations

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    julesm
    julesm  101698 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    31 May 2004 - 8:22 PM

Has anyone got any recomendations for a digi for my daughter?

Were thinging of something that has at least 3mil pixels, some zoom range, and the usual assortment of options, together with an lcd that can also be used to preview the shot before taking it.

I have had a quick look at the Minolta Dimage F100, but dont really know what would be a good buy.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks
    Jules.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 May 2004 - 8:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sean
    sean  11169 forum posts
    31 May 2004 - 9:27 PM

Canon A70.

Good value. Good quality images. Lots of manual controls as well as usual auto mode.

cheers
    Sean

mipettin
    mipettin  10884 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    31 May 2004 - 10:38 PM

I can recommend my camera - Olympus Camedia C-740 UZ. Depends on how old you daughter is though and whether she wants something small and pocketable or something SLR like that allows lots of creativity. The camera is light though and will fit in a large pocket. I am sure my camera can be picked up for 200 or less now. It is 3.2 megapixel, full range of manual controls, simple Auto function and great zoom range - 38mm - 380mm equivalent. Too see some sample pics from the camera please see my portfolio.

julesm
    1 Jun 2004 - 12:27 PM

Cheers both.

I'm erring towards toe A70 perhaps, but that zoom on the 740 looks impressive.

Martin, what sort of control does the Olympus give over sa Aperture or Shutter Priority if any?
    Can the LCD be used to preview the image before the button is pressed?

What are the prices like for these cameras?

Cheers
    Jules

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2004 - 12:32 PM

Have you looked at the Canon S1 IS. It offers full aperture and shutter priority as well as manual controls etc, 38 to 380mm zoom and image stabalisation. My son is franticaly saving his paper round money up for one. You can get it for 350 but it contains a lot and will allow for plenty of development.

julesm
    1 Jun 2004 - 12:34 PM

In fact the same question to Sean about control of Aperture and Shutter?

Do you have full control of these settings?

Many thanks
    Jules

mipettin
    mipettin  10884 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2004 - 12:43 PM

-
    Jules

The Olympus can be used in Aperture priority in which case moving the arrow keys up and down change the aperture up and down. On telephoto - F ranges from 2.8 to 8.0, on full zoom 3.7 to 8.0. I use Aperture Priority for my landscapes. Shutter priority gives you 1/1000s down to 1s. Often use shutter priority for wildlife. Sometimes I use manual in which case you can manually set either aperture or shutter. In Aperture or Shutter mode pressing right or left keys changes exposure variance - i.e. stops of light. I should have also mentioned the camera can display a live histogram to help you with exposure and offers spot metering and exposure lock. And yes there is an LCD screen - here is a detailed review to show you more of camera - the same site probably has reviews of other cameras you are interested in.. phew - if you have chance comment on one of my pictures here. Links to reviews are best found at my web page under the news section - more early photos from my camera here too - but early stuff - think I am improving as a photographer. My site

Cheers

Martin

julesm
    1 Jun 2004 - 12:56 PM

Hi John,

That Canon S1 IS looks a little too feature packed for my daughter, and perhaps too SLR like.

Thanks anyway.

Jules

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2004 - 9:33 PM

Jules

Yes it is tricky knowing where to cut and run on spec's etc. My son loves the wildlife photography etc and steals my 300D, but wants his own camera. So what he wanted was as close to an SLR as possible with a long lens. It is pretty well feature packed but offers lots of auto modes so you can take control bit by bit. Also IS is pretty useful when using a long lens. He is currently saving his paper round money. There is a Kodak DX6490 for slightly less but it did not feel robust. There was an older version of the Olympus on sale at Warehouse Express for about 200 last time I looked

Anyway good luck.

lordposh
    lordposh  1045 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 Jun 2004 - 9:57 PM

Jules have you looked at the Minolta A1, now that the A2 is out, this camera has proved well worth the features for somethin in between a compact and a DSLR.
    You will have a 7x opictal zoom, LCD, Manual controls. I have used one for about 3 months now and no problems.

Roger

mdpontin
    mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
    1 Jun 2004 - 10:13 PM

Just got an A1 myself. Haven't had much chance to play with it yet, but it's a well-specified camera with good handling. Good reviews too. There's some decent deals around too if you search on the internet. Jessops have (had?) an offer where they promised to match any UK-based website's price. I saved over 100 on their list price.
    Doug

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.