Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exciting Updates to Free & Paid Memberships! Read More

Camera Repair Shop Edinburgh

B_Real 9 126 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2011 11:06AM
Hi, dropped my Canon S90 from about 4ft onto wood decking with the lens extended. Lens is now misaligned and permanently extended.

Can anyone recommend a good camera repair shop in the Edinburgh region?

Insurance excess is 150, so not overly keen on replacing it.

Brad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kaybee 10 4.0k 25 Scotland
19 Jul 2011 11:19AM
Cameratics at Churchill
danbrann Plus
10 505 15
19 Jul 2011 11:51AM
A.J. Johnstone, 395/399Central Chambers, 93 Hope Street, Glasgow, G2 6Ld. Telephone 0141-2219166.

I have had very good service from this company.
Danbrann
McBrian Plus
10 101 Scotland
19 Jul 2011 12:36PM
+1 for Cameratics, I've read and heard a few horror stories regarding A.J. Johnstone.
Consulo Plus
10 820 10 Scotland
19 Jul 2011 1:20PM
Cameratics are very good, but I sometimes feel like the customer is a bit of an annoyance for the staff, and I'm not the first amongst my friends to make that observation. Otherwise, they know their stuff.
B_Real 9 126 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2011 3:52PM

Quote:I sometimes feel like the customer is a bit of an annoyance for the staff

I can sympathise with them, customers are generally annoying, particularly if its the Saturday shift and you're trying to read the paper in the back with a hangover.

But damn I could cook a baked potato!
19 Jul 2011 6:54PM
not sure about them i find them a bit strange, i bought a sigma 70=200mm 2.8 of them , lens is great
but i just cant explain there attitude
its like i went back in time or went into a time warp
Tongue
17 Apr 2012 3:22PM
Re Cameratics, Pat who works upstairs, is a great guy....his repairs/servicing of equipment has always been top notch....and his prices are very reasonable.
However, the staff downstairs.....well, they can sometimes come across as grumpy....but in all fairness, they do have to put up with silly [to us ] questions about why a DSLR can cost 1000s and a wee compact can cost only 30 and yet both take 6x4 holiday snaps.....Sad
Railcam 8 491 Scotland
17 Apr 2012 3:56PM
I have used JP Camera repair at Abbeyhill in Edinburgh. Joe is a "one man band" but you get to speak to the man who does the job. Here is his website http://www.jpcameras.co.uk/ I speak as a satisfied customer over 20+ years.
mdpontin Plus
10 6.0k Scotland
17 Apr 2012 4:52PM
I've used JP Camera Repairs over many years and have no hesitation in recommending him too.

Doug
17 Apr 2012 4:54PM
A straight repair is OK,but if a new part is required its no go. It seems that if a camera body requires a part there is none to be had. A certain repair company has gobbled them all up. No names no pack drill.
17 Apr 2012 6:44PM
JP Cameras..Abbeyhill.
Been at least 19-20 years since I last entered his shop.....
Back then, I was not impressed on his workmanship....3 cameras in for repair, and each repair lasted less than a week !
The good news though, things must of improved, for people to recommend him.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.