Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Camera sales staff's lack of knowledge.

frenchie44 8 293 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2011 6:47PM
I went into a Jessops store a month ago to look at the Fuji X100, a very smartly dressed lady asked if she could help, whilst examining the camera i said "its a shame its an effective 35mm lens, as i would prefer a wider angle" rather forcefully she told me its a 23mm lens, after a lot arguing about the effective length of the lens she looked it up on a computer, even after that she said its still a 23mm lens, to prove my point i grabbed a compact camera on display that had a 35mm wide angle on it, the view was the same as the X100.
Today i went into the same shop to look at a mirrorless compact system cam, with the Apc size sensor, the salesman from panasonic said " dont go for that size sensor, this one has a sensor thats 9 times the size of any of the DSLR's" i explained that the 4/3 type is smaller than a DSLR's, i said it might be 9 times the sensor in a compact camera Oh no, they have 2/3rds sensor, i think he has been reading about 2.3 sensors etc.
It given me so little confidence in Jessops, but they are there to shift boxes, so they dont bother with learning about the products they sell.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
9 Jul 2011 6:59PM

Quote:I went into a Jessops store a month ago to look at the Fuji X100, a very smartly dressed lady asked if she could help, whilst examining the camera i said "its a shame its an effective 35mm lens, as i would prefer a wider angle" rather forcefully she told me its a 23mm lens

That`s no different to the EPZ forums, all I`m interested in is the effective crop yet some will argue that a 50mm lens is still a 50mm lens no mater what the crop Sad

Jessops, I`ve had both good and bad experiences, the worst was probably the time an assistant swore blind that the Canon 20D had spot metering, after explaining I was`nt interested he blew into the mirror box before placing the camera back on display Smile
frenchie44 8 293 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2011 7:45PM
Hi Paul
a 50mm lens is still a 50mm lens whatever camera its on, but its the effective length of the lens when it is on a camera with a sensor less than the size of a full frame sensor on the average DSLr a 50mm turns into an 80mm lens (effectively)
the way i explain it is to imagine a circle of 42mm dia, thats the coverage of a 35mm frame, now use the centre point and make a circle about 28 mm dia inside the other circle. inside that put a 2p piece, you will now see that it fills the frame of the DSLR sensor, the smaller one, but in the 35mm frame it needs to be enlarged to fit. both are using the 35mm lens but the smaller sensor only uses the centre part of it. the smaller sensor is closer to the rear of the lens than a 35mm sensor would be, so the light rays have not spread out the same.thats a rough guide.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
9 Jul 2011 7:46PM

Quote:Camera sales staff's lack of knowledge.

Quote:I went into a Jessops store a month ago

Enough said.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
9 Jul 2011 7:52PM

Quote:a 50mm lens is still a 50mm lens whatever camera its on

There we go, I really can`t be bothered Sad
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
9 Jul 2011 7:55PM
We should talk in terms of Angle of View but nobody ever does! Wink
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
9 Jul 2011 8:45PM

Quote:There we go, I really can`t be bothered

My thoughts exactly Paul... Sad
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2011 9:07PM
Paul - you believe that putting a 50mm EF lens on and EF-S body changes its focal length ....Tongue
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
9 Jul 2011 9:57PM

Quote:Paul - you believe that putting a 50mm EF lens on and EF-S body changes its focal length ....

I`m only interested in the final crop, nothing else matters, I`m not interested in the nerdy gobbledygook.
CaptivePhotons 11 1.6k 2 England
9 Jul 2011 10:07PM

Quote:I`m only interested in the final crop, nothing else matters, I`m not interested in the nerdy gobbledygook.

Bingo
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2011 10:57PM

Quote:I`m only interested in the final crop, nothing else matters

Depth of field?
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2011 11:01PM
People who grew up with film cameras who instinctively know what an 80mm lens will allow them to see can do that math and get some meaning out of the 1.3, 1.6 etc calculations when talking about 50mm lenses on crop cameras,

To someone who has only ever used a DSLR crop camera it's meaningless.

If I look through a 50mm lens I see the same magnification as I see with the naked eye (none). I see that whether looking through the viewfinder of my 10D or my 5D. I know than a 100 will be more magnified and a 17 less magnified than reality.

This is pretty off-topic though aren't we meant to be slagging off sales staff?
9 Jul 2011 11:02PM
On the subject of sales staff, I'd much prefer they said they didn't know, that they weren't sure instead of trying to bluff their way through everything. I've heard some appalling rubbish in Comet, PC World, Dixons over the years. Jessop's didn't used to be so bad
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
9 Jul 2011 11:24PM
I walked into Jessops a few days ago, the staff were all over me like flies on a turd, I left pretty sharpish.
9 Jul 2011 11:36PM
In the Dublin branch they talk about Four Turds and Micro Four Turds Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.