Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Camera settings

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

gameon
gameon  1 United States
2 Dec 2012 - 8:46 PM

Thinking action photos in a stadium at night. I'm using Canon 7D. my photos are blurry, need help!

Using a Canon 7D. Canon zoom lens EF 70-200 mm 1:2.8 L IS USM

What would be the best settings for this condition?Sad

Charlie

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Dec 2012 - 8:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

urdygurdy
urdygurdy  5136 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
2 Dec 2012 - 8:53 PM

Biggest aperture you have, Shutter priority, Maybe 800 or more ISO & fastest shutter speed you can muster, which obviously is dependent on lighting conditions.

Hope that helps

Daz

PS
what are you photographing & what setting have you been using to achieve these blurry photos

KNS
KNS  4106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Dec 2012 - 9:00 PM

With respect you cannot actually answer that question accurately without being there.....that said the reciprocal rule - shutter speed matching focal length - helps.....as does the use of wider apertures, higher ISO, stabilised lenses and so on.

Aperture/ISO will get you shutter speed, and stabilised lenses will remove some of the user invoked movement blur associated with lower light shooting. You will have to experiment - there is no magic set of settings Smile best of luck.....

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41173 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
2 Dec 2012 - 9:06 PM

Biggest aperture you have, aperture priority and as high an ISO as you need to get a high enough shutter speed. Maybe use manual if need be.

If you use shutter priority, the camera will struggle to shoot if it wants more light than the shutter speed can provide at max aperture.

No one can really tell you what exact settings to use without knowing the exact light readings, so that bit's up to you...but get as high a shutter speed as you can at max aperture commensurate with the amount of noise you can deal with. Better a noisy sharp image than a blurred one for sport.

Nick

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82255 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom120 Constructive Critique Points
2 Dec 2012 - 9:14 PM

Quote: stabilised lenses and so on

IS is likely to make bugger all difference in action photography. IS stabilises the camera not the subject - and in action photography its the subject that is moving fast.

The problem is likely to be one of an insufficient shutter speed to freeze the subjects movement. Therefore you need to crank up the shutter speed. As others have rightly pointed out - you can do this by increasing the ISO sensitivity and shooting at f2.8. I'm assuming as its a sport that flash is a complete no go. What settings were you using?

A.

Last Modified By sherlob at 2 Dec 2012 - 9:14 PM
KNS
KNS  4106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Dec 2012 - 9:28 PM

Active stabilisation allows for panning, by stabilising in the vertical plane, whilst recognising horizontal movement, but it's a side issue to the OP question and not worth the effort of typing more.

gameon
gameon  1 United States
2 Dec 2012 - 10:08 PM

I was in the Tv mode, shutter speed set in high, Aperture 12,ISO @64
I am taking football action shots. I really appreciate all the help!

thanks,
CharlieWink

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41173 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
2 Dec 2012 - 10:18 PM

For those settings, I would suggest first off, pushing your ISO up to, say 400 for a start. That will give you well over 2 stops more speed. Set the aperture to f/2.8. That will give you another 4 stops to play with, so say 6 total.
Don't know what your shutter speed was, but assuming 1/60 sec, those extra 6 stops will allow you to push it up to 1/4000 which should be plenty fast enough to freeze motion. It all depends what your starting point was really.

Nick

Sooty_1
2 Dec 2012 - 10:21 PM

Try setting ISO 400, AV mode (aperture priority) and set the aperture to f/2.8, then ensure the shutter speed is high enough. If not high enough to freeze motion, then up the ISO a bit until it is fast enough.

gameon
gameon  1 United States
2 Dec 2012 - 10:34 PM

Thank, you guys are awesome! I'll try those settings at my next game. thank you,Grin

BlueInfinity
3 Dec 2012 - 12:06 AM

I shoot football under the floodlights and using the 70-200 2.8 wide open, to get anything like the shutter speed you need to get the players sharp (1/500 minimum) you'd be looking at an ISO of at least 1600. (And turn off the IS - it won't help you with action shots). Smile

cheddar-caveman

"Tv mode, shutter speed set in high, Aperture 12,ISO @64". Your problem appears to be in your statement. You need the highest shutter speed you can get so - you need a much higher ISO - up to 800 I have used with acceptable noise - as has been said, aperture priority and set the aperture to wide open - you're not two feet away from the action so your DOF should be OK - then the camera will select the highest shutter speed to give you correct exposure at those settings.

You can even put the ISO up further - experiment but not at ISO 64!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314806 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Dec 2012 - 7:49 PM

Is there an Auto ISO setting in M mode with that camera, if there is you could always try it.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314806 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Dec 2012 - 8:36 PM

You might find this a good read.

I`ve never ever used auto ISO in the past, but I have since discovered that it can really be useful at times with the OMD in M mode.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0206161199/an-in-depth-discussion-of-m-auto-iso...

matthecat48
5 Dec 2012 - 2:09 PM

hi just happened to glance through problems. a monopod or tripod come to mind. beanbag if you are at the front. anything to ease your shakes.
matthecat

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.