Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Camera settings

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mark2uk
mark2uk  8739 forum posts England8 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2008 - 4:52 PM

Managed to sneak out at lunchtime to a little site near where I work that I've just discovered.
In a bit of a rush as I don't get long for lunch, and this was just a recce trip really.

Took loads of pictures before I realised I still had the ISO set very high from doing night shots a week ago.

Does anyone have any special methods for remembering to check settings before taking pictures?

I'm a bit of a numpty anyway Smile

Mark

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Sep 2008 - 4:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315487 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2008 - 5:23 PM

Custom settings ?

Overread
Overread  63770 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2008 - 5:55 PM

Quote: Took loads of pictures before I realised I still had the ISO set very high from doing night shots a week ago.

Just keep shooting Wink
Especially for those of us without custom settings buttons, its just a case of shooting more - making mistakes, kicking yourself for making them and then remembering not to make that mistake again next time!
Most annoying thing for me is that (least on my 400D) my ISO stays fixed even when I change modes on the dail - a real pain when you setup two or more modes for different shooting (like wildlife in aperture priority mode and shutter priority for some frozen action shots) only to find that after turning the dial you also have to adjust ISO! Sad

keith selmes
8 Sep 2008 - 7:18 PM

Quote: loads of pictures before I realised I still had the ISO set very high

You are not the first person to do that. There was at least one person before you, but I expect we're members of a very big club.
I expect a simple check list or mnemonic would do, but as it sounds like you remembered both the camera and the lens, and had a battery and a ram card, you're doing pretty well already.

Last Modified By keith selmes at 8 Sep 2008 - 7:20 PM
mark2uk
8 Sep 2008 - 7:21 PM

I did forget the tripod though Smile

aftertherain
8 Sep 2008 - 7:23 PM

Sometimes it's the ones taken when you've not checked, that turn out best Wink

Last Modified By aftertherain at 8 Sep 2008 - 7:23 PM
csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2008 - 7:25 PM

Best idea is to reset the camera to some standard settings at the end of a session. That way it is "ready" for the next session Smile

Well maybe.

dan45
dan45  642 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Sep 2008 - 7:27 PM

I always have a quick look at the ones i have taken before carrying on - i try to use manual settings as much as possible, and so always check to see if i've got the settings right, and adjust accordingly. Maybe use the image review function (if your camera has it) so the image automatically is displayed after shooting Smile

mark2uk
8 Sep 2008 - 8:13 PM

I like the idea of a mnemonic. Does anyone use one for their camera settings?

Been trying to come up with one - not doing very well. This is the best I can do.......

WIFE

White balance
ISO
File format
Exposure

Feel like I'm being nagged already Smile
Can you do better?

JJGEE
JJGEE  96319 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2008 - 8:34 PM

Use the same ISO for every frame Wink

With one or two exceptions I've used the same ISO for the last 20 years so using the wrong one is not an issue for me.

What I have done, occasionally, is to forget to check the aperture when changing the lens Sad and end up with an over / under exposed frame.
But I may only waste one / two frames at most as I check the meter reading / aperture / shutter speed regularly.

samfurlong
8 Sep 2008 - 9:42 PM

I generally reset my camera to the same settings immediately after use when I have finished work for the day.

ISO 800, evaluative metering, aperture priority, f4, cloudy WB, exposure compensation off, fine jpeg quality mode, AF on AI servo mode.

Then you know where you are when you pick it up.

Overread
Overread  63770 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2008 - 9:46 PM

ISO 800? Bit high for general use?
I would have thought 200 or 400 for a high setting rather than 800

samfurlong
8 Sep 2008 - 9:51 PM

I'm a press photographer so I don't really consider ISO 800 to be high, plus on the MKIII 800 is like 400 on the old MKII ( it used to be ISO 400 but in the British climate I find these settings to be quite good to just grab the camera out of the bag and shoot).

Last Modified By samfurlong at 8 Sep 2008 - 9:52 PM
keith selmes
8 Sep 2008 - 11:45 PM

I just realised the mnemonic depends on individual work style, I suppose with a DSLR we all need to remember the camera body, the (right) lens, the battery and the ram, but then I often use the mirror lock and timer delay together - if they're still on when you try an action snap, dismay and swearing ensue.

Thus far all my personal mnemonic attempts have been very rude.

Yes, I have gone out with lenses and no body.
I never went with no lens, but I did go with the wrong lens.
Thankfully the camera tells me if the battery is no good or the card is missing - but I have to remember to carry the spares.

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
8 Sep 2008 - 11:47 PM

Quote: Does anyone have any special methods for remembering to check settings before taking pictures?

I'm a bit of a numpty anyway

Mark

Easy answer....shoot everything on auto Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.