Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Camera settings

mark2uk e2
8 739 8 England
8 Sep 2008 4:52PM
Managed to sneak out at lunchtime to a little site near where I work that I've just discovered.
In a bit of a rush as I don't get long for lunch, and this was just a recce trip really.

Took loads of pictures before I realised I still had the ISO set very high from doing night shots a week ago.

Does anyone have any special methods for remembering to check settings before taking pictures?

I'm a bit of a numpty anyway Smile

Mark

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
8 Sep 2008 5:23PM
Custom settings ?
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
8 Sep 2008 5:55PM

Quote:Took loads of pictures before I realised I still had the ISO set very high from doing night shots a week ago.

Just keep shooting Wink
Especially for those of us without custom settings buttons, its just a case of shooting more - making mistakes, kicking yourself for making them and then remembering not to make that mistake again next time!
Most annoying thing for me is that (least on my 400D) my ISO stays fixed even when I change modes on the dail - a real pain when you setup two or more modes for different shooting (like wildlife in aperture priority mode and shutter priority for some frozen action shots) only to find that after turning the dial you also have to adjust ISO! Sad
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2008 7:18PM

Quote:loads of pictures before I realised I still had the ISO set very high
You are not the first person to do that. There was at least one person before you, but I expect we're members of a very big club.
I expect a simple check list or mnemonic would do, but as it sounds like you remembered both the camera and the lens, and had a battery and a ram card, you're doing pretty well already.
mark2uk e2
8 739 8 England
8 Sep 2008 7:21PM
I did forget the tripod though Smile
Sometimes it's the ones taken when you've not checked, that turn out best Wink
csurry
12 9.2k 92
8 Sep 2008 7:25PM
Best idea is to reset the camera to some standard settings at the end of a session. That way it is "ready" for the next session Smile

Well maybe.
dan45 e2
6 42 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2008 7:27PM
I always have a quick look at the ones i have taken before carrying on - i try to use manual settings as much as possible, and so always check to see if i've got the settings right, and adjust accordingly. Maybe use the image review function (if your camera has it) so the image automatically is displayed after shooting Smile
mark2uk e2
8 739 8 England
8 Sep 2008 8:13PM
I like the idea of a mnemonic. Does anyone use one for their camera settings?

Been trying to come up with one - not doing very well. This is the best I can do.......

WIFE

White balance
ISO
File format
Exposure

Feel like I'm being nagged already Smile
Can you do better?
JJGEE
10 6.4k 18 England
8 Sep 2008 8:34PM
Use the same ISO for every frame Wink

With one or two exceptions I've used the same ISO for the last 20 years so using the wrong one is not an issue for me.

What I have done, occasionally, is to forget to check the aperture when changing the lens Sad and end up with an over / under exposed frame.
But I may only waste one / two frames at most as I check the meter reading / aperture / shutter speed regularly.
samfurlong e2
8 2.5k United Kingdom
8 Sep 2008 9:42PM
I generally reset my camera to the same settings immediately after use when I have finished work for the day.

ISO 800, evaluative metering, aperture priority, f4, cloudy WB, exposure compensation off, fine jpeg quality mode, AF on AI servo mode.

Then you know where you are when you pick it up.
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
8 Sep 2008 9:46PM
ISO 800? Bit high for general use?
I would have thought 200 or 400 for a high setting rather than 800
samfurlong e2
8 2.5k United Kingdom
8 Sep 2008 9:51PM
I'm a press photographer so I don't really consider ISO 800 to be high, plus on the MKIII 800 is like 400 on the old MKII ( it used to be ISO 400 but in the British climate I find these settings to be quite good to just grab the camera out of the bag and shoot).
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2008 11:45PM
I just realised the mnemonic depends on individual work style, I suppose with a DSLR we all need to remember the camera body, the (right) lens, the battery and the ram, but then I often use the mirror lock and timer delay together - if they're still on when you try an action snap, dismay and swearing ensue.

Thus far all my personal mnemonic attempts have been very rude.

Yes, I have gone out with lenses and no body.
I never went with no lens, but I did go with the wrong lens.
Thankfully the camera tells me if the battery is no good or the card is missing - but I have to remember to carry the spares.
jondf e2
8 2.7k
8 Sep 2008 11:47PM

Quote:Does anyone have any special methods for remembering to check settings before taking pictures?

I'm a bit of a numpty anyway

Mark

Easy answer....shoot everything on auto Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.