Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

camera video 1d mark4 or any other canon camera vsus camcorder

suejoh e2
10 235 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2013 8:20PM
How do people find the video on the canon cameras.
I have a 1d mark 4 and have not used the video but I need to film something and I wondered how good the video on my camera is / the drawbacks etc.
dont want to get a camcorder if I dont have to.
Thx Sue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
25 Jul 2013 8:45PM
iv canon 7d not used video Smile
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
25 Jul 2013 8:50PM
Quality is quite a subjective thing and what may be excellent to one person, may well be barely acceptable to someone else. So, with that in mind, why not take a few clips and see what you think. Just plug the camera straight into an HD TV with an HDMI lead and review the clips that way to give you some idea on quality.

I've not used a 1DIV, but I use the video on the 5D Mk II quite a lot. I find the video image quality to be excellent on the whole, but moire can be an issue in certain situations. Be prepared to edit and sharpen your clips, as you would do with still images. The reason being, that any in-camera sharpening, contrast and saturation is best set to the lowest values in order to capture as much info/dynamic range as possible. Having in-camera sharpening completely turned off is particularly important for the best results.
The sound quality from the camera's built in mic isn't great, so budget for a decent external microphone. With video, the sound quality is paramount and often more important than the image quality. The Rode VideoMic is a very popular choice and relatively inexpensive.

Canon DSLR's have been used extensively to film all manner of things from music video's, feature films, advertisements, television series, etc. etc and by some very well known and respected film makers.
patters 10 1.8k 1 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2013 9:11PM
if you havent got some kind of rig you will run out of hands to hold the camera, zoom and focus, standard video camera would certainly be easier
redsnappa 12 2.0k United Kingdom
26 Jul 2013 7:56AM
I've been playing with the video on my eos 600d and the video quality is surprisingly good. I wanted to learn how to use it not because I'll be videoing all the time but to cover make sure I can use it competently for the odd occasion when I might need to use it.

Ease of use wise not as easy to use as a dedicated video camera and focussing is manual which is a bit of a pain but image quality wise it is far better than the standard 150 dedicated video camera.
suejoh e2
10 235 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2013 5:19PM
Thanks alll for comments and advice. I have had a go but just at home in the garden. Def needs a tripod and as redsnappa said a bit of a pain to refocus. Sue
suejoh e2
10 235 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2013 7:48PM
Took this video of my horse with the camera as she was for sale. I was really pleased as I could not take a tripod to the show and it was very difficult to see what was going on in the screen due to the bright light. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlvNm8mTgBs
Used windows movie maker to edit which I thought was great.
However it is not much fun to hold the camera for 4 minutes out in front of you and was getting the shakes by the end.
Now definitely looking at a camcorder.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.