Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Camera Warranties

User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
24 Jan 2013 8:49AM
I have been "watching" a Nikon D800E on eBay (8 months old, 56 shutter actuations, bought new in UK from WEX).

The seller initially posted that there was still part of the warranty to run but has now added, in large red print, that bidders should be aware that, as the camera has been registered with Nikon, the warranty is not transferable to a new owner.

Is this a general condition of camera warranties from other manufacturers?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

johnriley1uk e2
10 26 4 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2013 9:55AM
I believe that it is a normal condition that warranty does not extend to a subsequent owner. Sometimes though dealers will stretch a point and allow it provided the original receipt is produced. The best course is to phone WEX and ask what their policy would be.
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2013 10:36AM
I thought the warranty was issued by Nikon, not WEX and any if any repair is needed udner warranty, Nikon effectively indemnifies Wex and Wex act as the middle man to get the camera to Nikon. So the warranty conditions need to be agreed with Nikon.
The 'fit for purpose' rule that relates to sale of goods is different and those rights are between the buyer and Wex and the question of transferrability is decades old: the old and trusted remedy was that a seller can transfer those rights in writing to the new owner.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.