Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Camera wouldnt fire!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    cheddar-caveman

I trecked to a bleak headland this afternoon where the Bristol Channel comes against the western edge of the Mendips hoping to take some lone exposure pictures of the sea etc. Camera in AV on tripod, I attached ND filters to the lens then set smallest aperture, f32, set ISO to 100 and shutter indicated 2sec - a good start I thought but when I pressed the release it wouldn't fire - the little green light (bottom right in viewfinder) blinked which prevents the shutter activation.
    I took ND's off, hand held in AV and everything was fine. So what's happening when I attach the ND's? It seems to be confusing the camera so it won't activate.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Feb 2013 - 6:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023175 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2013 - 6:31 PM

Is it on auto focus?

ikett
    ikett  4352 forum posts England
    5 Feb 2013 - 6:43 PM

Quote: Camera in AV on tripod, I attached ND filters to the lens then set smallest aperture, f32, set ISO to 100 and shutter indicated 2sec

Not sure but suspect manual exposure could work.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2013 - 6:46 PM

What strength ND filter?

Hali
    Hali  344 forum posts Scotland
    5 Feb 2013 - 6:47 PM

How were you focusing - manual or automatic? If automatic, is it possible that there wasn't enough light for the camera to focus?

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73903 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2013 - 6:51 PM

What MrH said

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111072 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2013 - 6:55 PM

when you use a ND filter you have to go manual mode , you take a reading without the filter ,then you set the camera to manual then take of the 10 stops exposure. the shutter would not work because it was longer than 30secs , when you go beyond that you need to set bulb. 2secs would give you 32mins !! read here about settings might be of help .

mikehit
    mikehit  56687 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2013 - 6:56 PM

If you are in single shot mode and on AF it has to be infocus before the shutter will fire and the filters may have made it too dark to focus. Switch to MF as suggested and you should be OK

puertouk
    puertouk  31080 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2013 - 7:29 PM

Why not go and spend that money you won on new kit! Tongue

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73903 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2013 - 7:36 PM

Quote: When you use a ND filter you have to go manual mode , you take a reading without the filter ,then you set the camera to manual then take of the 10 stops exposure. the shutter would not work because it was longer than 30secs , when you go beyond that you need to set bulb. 2secs would give you 32mins !! read here about settings might be of help .

This would be true for a big stopper, but not standard NDs (typically 3-4 stops not 10).

For 3-4 stop the camera will probably meter OK, maybe a touch under exposed, but the AF that's different, focus on what you want minus filters (or do it manually) then lock the focus.

cheddar-caveman

Quote: When you use a ND filter you have to go manual mode , you take a reading without the filter ,then you set the camera to manual then take of the 10 stops exposure. the shutter would not work because it was longer than 30secs , when you go beyond that you need to set bulb. 2secs would give you 32mins !! read here about settings might be of help .

Many thanks Nick_w - just what I needed! Never tried this before so a steep learning curve!

keithh - yes I was using AF. Ah, very dim picture so probably couldn't lock on!

Thanks everybody = I'll go try again!Wink

cheddar-caveman

Just one point I can't seem to find on the web (must be there somewhere!) If I use more than one ND filter at the same time, do you add the exposure correction or multiply it ie a 2X ND + a 4X ND, does that equal 2 X 4 = 8 or 2 + 4 = 6 ?

As I said, first time trying this!

mikehit
    mikehit  56687 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Feb 2013 - 8:33 AM

Each stop filter is already x2 on the exposure.

cheddar-caveman
    6 Feb 2013 - 12:43 PM

Cheers!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.