Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cameras and filters

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    fredthetortoise

I am thinking of buying a Mamiya 7II rangefinder camera. I have never used a rangefinder before. When using graduated filters is it possible to align them as you would with a 35mm TTL camera.Or is it hit and miss.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Jul 2002 - 3:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jul 2002 - 6:33 PM

As you are not looking through the lens you cannot use the viewfinder to align the filters. The best way is to slide the filter into the holder and view the camera from the front as you move it up or down to the desired position. After a few attempts you'll start to know when it's in the right place.

J-P
    J-P  11396 forum posts
    8 Jul 2002 - 2:33 AM

Try also the Mamiya UK forum at www.mamiya.co.uk. Lots of 7 II users there.

mad-dogs
    mad-dogs  122201 forum posts England
    15 Jul 2002 - 2:30 PM

With a bit of inginuity you can modify a filter / filter holder with calibrations to enable relative accuracy when placing graduate filters in front of rangefinder cameras.

Set up a white or light target and focus.

Open up the back of the camera and place some diffusing material across the throat of the camera. ie. the square film frame.

When you insert the filter in the holder, you can see its effect on the diffusing material ie. tracing paper, soft-frost or the diffusing material which holds film strips.

You can mark off the edge of the filter with a felt tip pen to align with a mark on the filter holder.

If this is not a clear enough explanation, please contact me off-list.

cheers

Dave
    ====

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.