Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cameravests - what do you use and why?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Feb 2012 - 10:33 PM

So I've been looking around at possibly getting a camera vest - something suitable for hiking/travel/wildlife and also being slightly less outlandish than my camo jacket, whilst having a good number of pockets for putting things into (as opposed to the rest of modern fashion which appears to loath the idea of pockets).

So I've been looking and thus far the following three appear to be sitting at the top of the list:
    The Vest Guy - photo vest
    Stealth gear rural
    although I must admit I don't like that single fat front pocket design and much prefer the look of their
    Stealth Gear urban even though the colours are rather wrong Wink
    Domoke Jacket/vest

Far as I can tell, esp from reviews like Video review the domoke might be slightly less high profile and the pockets a little less bulky, but it also appears to be slightly lighter in the build quality area - suitable for town/urban, but maybe not quite as good for out-doors type affairs.

So I'd be interested to hears peoples views on these or any other kinds of photo vests being used. I'll admit that, at the moment, the Vest Guy vest is probably my top choice, but I'm open to other suggestions

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Feb 2012 - 10:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    14 Feb 2012 - 10:51 PM

Hello, when I go abroad I take my green multi purpose waist coat, had it for years, great for hot weather climates there is a similar one Here

Last Modified By User_Removed at 14 Feb 2012 - 10:53 PM
    lawbert
    lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Feb 2012 - 10:52 PM

I personally use a string vest with a knotted hanky for coastal landscapesTongue

Seriously tho...Ive got an orvis fly fishing vest Ive had for years....Purpose built for photography I reckonWink

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman  114484 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Feb 2012 - 4:37 AM

Fishing/Shooting type vest here too, carries a whole load of bits and bobs and not too hot either as it's all vented.....Has a large pocket on the rear which I can even fit my 500mm bigma lens into......Plus a helluva lot cheaper than a specifically designed Tog vest....

WhiteRose1
    WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41025 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England132 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Feb 2012 - 8:57 AM

I tried a vest a while back (can't remember the make though) but much prefer cargo trousers (zip-offs preferably for versatility). Lots of pockets and I found them more easily accessible.

KevSB
    KevSB  101403 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Feb 2012 - 9:14 AM

Had 2 of these for meny years black and Khaki Cheap and efective, Dont use them anymore sinse the street and field system from lowepro does the same job and more for me now but still have them, after 2 years all the pockets are intact and the black is fading a little but for twenty quid a bargain.

Canon vest here for 25 quid

The links are for example only, not recommendation of any seller

Last Modified By KevSB at 15 Feb 2012 - 9:19 AM
    User_Removed
    15 Feb 2012 - 10:48 AM

You can usually pick up Regatta travel vests in a variety of configurations for around 15 in outlet malls. I have blue one I use about town and a khaki one that I use in the countryside. I like then to have zipped inside pockets for carrying things like wallet and passports out of the immediate reach of amateur pickpockets.

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Feb 2012 - 3:12 PM

I never like having heavy things in trouser pockets, I spend the entire time going around worrying that they are going to end up round my ankles unless they are super tight around my waist (at which point they become really annoying to wear - esp if you want to suddenly crouch down).
    I do have trousers with good pockets, but I'll keep the content in them as light as I can.

Vest wise I think I'm warming toward a 2 vest approach;
    1) A lighter standard vest - cheap fishing/Domke (ok I know that one isn't cheap...)/etc.. something alone those lines which is lighter and thinner and can be used outdoors and around town in general.

2) A heavier duty one that is more a bag replacement than just a vest - eyes on that Vest Guy one, granted its more bulky on the pockets, but I can see it replacing a regular backpack - esp with things like the hydration unit in the back. Less well suited to hotter times, but more suited to letting me carry heavier gear (I could see me using that backpocket section to hold a 120-300mm and pockets around the front for a 70mm/65mm macro and flash - letting me carry both and switch between the two without problems)

As for fashion - I think the only thing I own that counts as fashion is my thick fleecy top (apparently its fashion according to them that gave it to me) and honestly 100% of the reason I wear it is because its super warm Labels be darned its warm

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314813 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Feb 2012 - 3:59 PM

I`ve often thought of getting a chest rig, but I`m not going to last long on the streets of London, army surplus stores are the way to go Sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpnM5zPl36k&feature=related

I found these versipacks good, I opted for the smaller fatboy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So5iQoQQswg&feature=related

User_Removed
    15 Feb 2012 - 4:04 PM

Just a thought, I use the Stealth Gear Photographers Extreme jacket and trousers ( green ones ) the sleeves of the jacket unzip, turning it into a waist coat, there are loads of pockets for everything including padded ones for lenses, and special pockets for spare batteries & CF Cards, it has padded shoulders, which helps when carrying tripod mounted with gear etc. Saves using a backpack. It's not cheap but like anything, you need to look around for the best price.
    Good luck with your choice.

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85836 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Feb 2012 - 7:06 PM

I have one of these, or at least very similar.

As soon as the weather warms up a tad, then I am never without itSmile

Even during really hot days, it is quite comfortable to wear over a T-shirt, while out chasing butterflies and the like

Enough pockets to ensure everything is kept secure, while crawling about in undergrowth etc;

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.