Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Cameron and the EU speech

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : going nowhere because of FM

strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2013 1:35PM
Some more reactions

Quote:Well-known venture capitalist, Jon Moulton, founder of Better Capital, also welcomed David Cameron's speech.

"It was definitely in the direction we'd favour," he told the BBC. "It's about getting the EU to be less bureaucratic, and to stop them shoving some legislation down out throats."
But Mr Moulton said he was concerned about the uncertain environment for business over the next five years.

"The timescale will be protracted, and the only certainty is that we'll now have five years of uncertainty. It's pretty adverse for people investing in the UK that there's not going to be a decision for five years." There was also reaction from business and political leaders at the World Economic Forum, currently taking place in Davos, Switzerland. David Sproul, the UK boss of accountancy firm Deloitte was also critical, citing the years of uncertainty that now lie ahead for foreign investors in the UK.
"The Europe debate does not help to create certainty," he said. "When I talk to US clients who have not been immersed in the European debate as we have, they say that what they need is clarity. There is no question it will impact business - it will hit investment into the UK," he told BBC News at the gathering held annually at the Swiss ski resort.

Not suprisingly many people will agree it is time to balance out the bureaucratic tendencies of the EU and to focus on efficiency. It is the manner of this delivery/stance that is stupid.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

23 Jan 2013 1:55PM
we get wat we deserve at the end of the day mostly liars criminals with there own rules Smile
Focus_Man 4 481 631 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2013 1:57PM

Quote:It has started already . Do not think for a moment big business will be worried about our country. It is our choice after all. There will be French politicians doing cartwheels over how stupid the referendum is.

Rubbish, the French entrepreneurs are leaving France to come and start businesses here because of the 75% top rate of tax in France.

People like Branson have said it will be bad for the UK but most large and meduium sized business want to get out and almost all small businesses, fed up of over regulation, just can't wait for us to get out.

Just don't preempt the situation, however I agree it will be bad having specualtion etc and worry about what will happen before the referendum arrives, which is why I said it needs to be now that we hold it. I just hope Cameron and the 'airy-fairy' Lib Dems honour the outcome. Although at this point I want us to leave, I will agree with the majority eventually as that is what is alien to our past and present governments, it is called democracy!
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2013 2:32PM

Quote:So what ca nhe offer

Possibly the fact that the UK is a net importer of EU goods and consistently runs a negative trade balance with them

Quote:The Senior Minister of State, Department for Communities and Local Government & Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Baroness Warsi): My Lords, in 2011 the UK's trade in goods with the EU was in deficit by around £43 billion, while in relation to services UK trade was in surplus by around £16 billion, so the overall deficit was around £28 billion

Then again, maybe the EU is just stupid enough to damage its positive trade with us out of spite because we refuse to become part of the Federal States of Europe, which is where they are currently heading with their policies
23 Jan 2013 3:36PM
For those who earlier stated that business didn't like this idea that we could possibly quit the EU, it is just strange that today the FTSE is up by 18 points and might soon just hit 6200 by the close.

Or for those of you who keep saying 'don't believe all you read' are those figures just unleashed by the press to fool us? I have to say that because living in Wirral, I can't always be at the Stock Exchange. lol
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2013 4:19PM
You are mixing a couple of issues. Has Cameron strengthened any negotiation position in this move, no he has weakened it. Please tell me of any advantage of this indecision and threat of a referendum. Note Cameron states we have to stay in the single market. What reason has Eurpoe to make any concession? And on investment from a multi-national company why would this dragging out o fthe issue and reduction in negotating ability make you want to invest in UK.

18 points up wow that is big. You need to look longer term at investment into the UK.
23 Jan 2013 4:48PM

Quote:18 points up wow that is big. You need to look longer term at investment into the UK.

So you don't think that an increase of 18pts is good? Well it equates to 3% per day and 112.5% increase in a year. I would say that is better than any bank will give you so yes WoW! it is good. Where do you invest your "hard earned" then? I know where I keep 50% of mine. Incidentally I don't look long term any more at 72 I temper long term with spending money to provide a healthy balance.

No, like you, I can't see any advantages of this delaying tactic as I mentioned earlier, however as the FTSE has fininshed up by 18.8 pts 'business' has given his speech a degree of acceptance which earlier posts said would not happen.

I am for a referendum now to save the £90 billion that the EU will cost us whilst we are waiting for the promised referendum. That figure is only our budget contribution, it does not include all the other add-ons that we have to pay.
collywobles e2
10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2013 5:15PM
The rants on here are typical of the stuff we see from the politicians. Instead of getting on a high horse why dont you put your reasons for and against the EU. From my point of view its not perfect but I believe its better we are within than out. If we stay in there maybe a chance of changing it, if we are out there's nothing we can do. I dont know too much about the EU but my experiences in the motor industry has confirmed that the EU has been good for the industry and population of the EU. On the other hand my trips to Brussels to discuss motor industry issues with EU Politicians was so frustrating, its a wonder they could even organise a cup of tea into the meetings....

So lets see your arguments about the good and bad of it then and only then after proper discussion will people be able to make a rational decision rather than base it on some fake rule about straight cucumbers........
23 Jan 2013 5:21PM

Quote:So you don't think that an increase of 18pts is good? Well it equates to 3% per day and 112.5% increase in a year.

Your sums are off by an order of magnitude.

Even it had increased by 3 % (itís actually 0.3 %, and thereís no way to know if Cameronís speech affected it positively or negatively), kowtowing to big business is hardly the only thing a government should do to preserve the welfare of a nation, or for that matter an economy.

There might be some unexpected benefits of a referendum on EU membership (though why so far in the future?) but at the moment I can only think it will cause the entire UK press to degenerate into a food fight, exposing the bigotry and xenophobia of large sections of the press. Not really looking forward to the equally closed-minded French side of proceedings either (though do note the Ďred carpetí nonsense was started by Cameron).
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2013 5:21PM

Quote:Well it equates to 3% per day

18 points = 0.3 % not 3%.
If, as you claim, the shift is due to market confidence from Cameron's statement, it is hardly a ringing endorsement. And to equate that to an annual APR is ridiculous, especially as the rise is also seen a involving positive results fron Unilever and other companies. I will not be switching my ISAs on that assessment, thank you very much.
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
23 Jan 2013 5:35PM

Quote:I don't look long term any more at 72

That's obvious by your support for UKIP.

Quote:it will cause the entire UK press to degenerate into a food fight, exposing the bigotry and xenophobia of large sections of the press

and the right-wingers who want to turn the country back 50 years.
Snapster e2
2 133 England
23 Jan 2013 6:49PM
Any significant relationship change with Europe will, without doubt change the economic outlook for the UK.
I've witnessed a multi million pound investment go on hold as a direct result of Cameroon's speech today.
That said, economists seem to be split over what would happen.
Economic models point towards higher inflation and wage demands as cheap labour goes home.
I'm sure the tabloids will have a frenzy and The Mail will be throwing a party.
But don't moan when prices go up, as a result of brits getting paid more to do a job that they see is beneath them or is initially low paid.
Maybe The Mail will start a campaign to bring back the cheap Polish cleaners.
cambirder e2
10 7.2k England
23 Jan 2013 7:53PM

Quote:So you don't think that an increase of 18pts is good? Well it equates to 3% per day and 112.5% increase in a year.

This is what I hate about referenda, you get millions of people who don't have a basic grasp of maths to make decisions on matters of great complexity.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2013 9:09PM
Brings to mind Churchill's aphorism....
23 Jan 2013 9:24PM

Quote:18 points up wow that is big. You need to look longer term at investment into the UK.

So you don't think that an increase of 18pts is good? Well it equates to 3% per day and 112.5% increase in a year. I would say that is better than any bank will give you so yes WoW! it is good.

Yes it is very good - it'd be even better of it proves to be sustained, which I doubt.

Extrapolating one day's move on the FTSE, or anything similar, out over a year is plain ridiculous, it could easily go down tomorrow - more than wiping out the gain, would it be correct to then extrapolate that and panic at the impending crash?