Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Camo Cloth

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Peter_West
    21 Jun 2012 - 9:13 PM

Hi all. Not sure if this is in right section, Tongue, what i am after is a piece of camo cloth say about 2 or 3mtr square, to put over me and camera, be better if it was waterproof, anybody use something like this, and which supplier they used, Thanks Pete

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Jun 2012 - 9:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jun 2012 - 9:28 PM

It's generally referred to as a bag hide. You can probably buy one from Wildlife Watching Supplies. If you just want the fabric to make your own, try any decent fabric shop. You can usually buy it by the meter. If you don't have a fabric retailer in your local town just have a look online for camouflage material and buy it that way.
    If you can't find that particular pattern, just get some plain green fabric. The pattern, or non-patterned, as the case may be, won't make the slightest difference to the wildlife, it's concealing the human shape that is key.

Last Modified By justin c at 21 Jun 2012 - 9:32 PM
    User_Removed
    21 Jun 2012 - 9:34 PM

Don't where you are located geographically Pete but I live near a place called Camberley in Surry. Camberley home the to the Royal Military Academy and the town itself has a fabulous military outfitters - not from an Officers Dress uniform perspective - but from 'the lads' perspective! Wink The place is 'knee-deep' in 'camo' of all kinds.

So - sus out where you live for military outfitters (you'd be surprised! Wink) and see what they have to offer. Otherwise - let google be your friend here....

Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 21 Jun 2012 - 9:34 PM
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314952 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jun 2012 - 9:49 PM

What you need is a "Basher" this is where I go

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/ishop/1069/shopscr5.html

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 21 Jun 2012 - 9:52 PM
    Steve_S
    Steve_S e2 Member 8176 forum postsSteve_S vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jun 2012 - 10:12 PM

Camo netting though not waterproof, may be useful too. It will give you better visibility but will keep you hidden. Ebay is as good a place as any.

ourdayphotos
    21 Jun 2012 - 10:22 PM

A basha or military cape (same thing) costs about 19 quid from ebay. I recently got one & it's fantastic. If you can get one of those small tripod seats then tripod mount your camera at eye height stick your lens through the hood part with you behind, works a treat.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314952 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jun 2012 - 10:40 PM

Quote: A basha or military cape (same thing)

No not really, no hood in a basher, its just a water proof camo sheet used for quick shelters.

ourdayphotos
    21 Jun 2012 - 11:12 PM

They sell them with hoods too & you can join 2 together to make a bed, shelter etc, you also get them without a hood as you describe. The ones with the hoods also have metal rings around the edges as do the others to enable tying etc. The ones with the hoods are better as I've said because you can put your zoom lens through the hood with the rest of the garment over you front & back. You can also pull the neck down to look through the hole rather than constantly looking through the viewfinder, this gives you a wider view of what's around. I also found that the insects & flies don't come inside for some reason. The downside is that on summer days it does get rather warm inside & that's even without the side press studs fastened.

keith selmes
    21 Jun 2012 - 11:47 PM

Cape is a groundsheet with a collar on one side so you can wrap it round you, do up the press studs and wear it like a cape. You can clip 2 or 3 together and make a shelter. More of a collector item I would think.

Basha is a larger sheet rather like a tarpaulin and sometimes called a tarp, with eyelets for cords and used as a shelter. Typically rather large to wear as a cape.

A poncho is like a small basha with hole in the middle for your head, and a hood.
    Typically with eyelets at the corners so you can use it like a basha, and press studs on the edges so as with the cape, that can be your fastening when wearing it, or you can clip them together and make a bigger shelter.
    I suppose you could call it a cape but it isn't really. I think my poncho, pretty cheap from ebay, might do the job required in this thread.

Anyhow, I think that's right. There is room for overlap in the definitions.

Cammo net is interesting stuff too, I got some realtree and cut down to different size pieces. Not very expensive.

keith selmes
    21 Jun 2012 - 11:54 PM

Oh, I see some confusion would arise from ebay dealers using all possible descriptive words in the style of keywording so they get maximum search hits. So they're selling a poncho bivvy basha rainproof cape sort of thing.

Peter_West
    22 Jun 2012 - 7:54 AM

Hi all. Thanks everyone will check these different variations out, been keeping am eye on a barn owls nest for the last few weeks, which canít believe every time I have been nobody else there, so possibly only me knows about it, and best part I can get pretty close to it without spooking them, went last night and thought one of these camo things would be ideal, also might protect me a bit the midges where out in force last night. Thanks Pete

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
    22 Jun 2012 - 10:04 AM

If you just want camo material and can hem it yourself (or dare I say it, get 'er indoors to do it Smile ) you can probably pick it up for a couple of quid a metre from a fabric shop (not waterproof). I have some I use as a backdrop sometimes. (Although the camo gear I actually wear is slightly more expensive Wink English oak pattern stuff....)

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.