Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Camouflage scrim

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Graywolf
    Graywolf  7964 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Apr 2011 - 7:06 AM

I have a small hide which I never use. What I need is something which can be quickly deployed ar simply draped around myself and have decided that either a bag hide or some scrim netting might the most feasible. I have looked at the items on offer from wildlife watching supplies. Having no practical experience of such items I wanted to try and benefit from other people's experience as to type (scrim or bag hide) size (for scrim) and pattern, (real leaf, AP green etc).

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Apr 2011 - 7:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

f8
    f8  109169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Apr 2011 - 9:16 AM

Get down your local ex Gov surplus store and buy some scrim and make yourself a custom hide.I did.

User_Removed
    20 Apr 2011 - 10:56 AM

Or wear a Ghillie Suit (which is, essentially a hide in the form of a jacket/trousers combo that both breaks up the outline and blends into the background.)

I'll not incur the wrath of the moderators by posting a link but if you Google for it you'll find dozens of examples and suppliers.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 20 Apr 2011 - 10:56 AM
    Graywolf
    20 Apr 2011 - 11:13 AM

Yes I had considered a ghillie suit but then I couldn't use it as a blind and I would like it to be a bit more versatile.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72142 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Apr 2011 - 4:55 PM

I used to use Camo net from ebay, which acted as excellent camouflage.
    I used 2 pieces that covered me, my camera/lens, and tripod set-up. It worked better in some situations that using a 1-man-chair-hide.
    On one occasion, a buzzard landed on the branch of a tree, 4-5m above where I was camouflaged beneath.

geoffash26
    geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Apr 2011 - 7:13 PM

Have a poncho that I won in a competition from wildlife watching supplies, (they don't seem to list one any more) I've not used it so can't comment, make me an offer if your interested.
    Geoff

meercat
    meercat  5278 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Apr 2011 - 7:30 PM

I have one of wildlife watching supplies bag hides (review on my site) I find it is great as you can wear it as a poncho so no need to pack it up each time you want to move, it works well too, I've had barnowl within a few feet (unfortunately behind me and I didn't see it till too late) and short eared owl coming within metres as well. I haven't used scrim or a popup hide (yet) so can't compare, but I would imagine the mobility of the bag hides makes them useful in some circumstances that the popup types would not be so great and vica verse.

aftertherain
    20 Apr 2011 - 9:43 PM

How about a Camo Poncho.
    It's cheap, it's waterproof, it can be tied to a tree and with a bit of modification it can cover you and your tripod.
    They're so cheap I have a couple of different pattern.I have a couple of different patterns

Kris_Dutson
    21 Apr 2011 - 4:47 PM

What Merl said - except I only have a couple of different patterns once. Wink

aftertherain
    21 Apr 2011 - 7:13 PM

LOL, now how did that happen.

Graywolf
    21 Apr 2011 - 9:35 PM

Ahh, the phantom copier strikes again! strikes again!
    Thanks for the info and suggestions guys. Thik I'm going with some 10' 4' scrim.

aftertherain
    22 Apr 2011 - 8:36 AM

Just a quick note, the poncho has poppers down either side so you can open it up to a flat sheet ( with a hood in the middle obviously, useful for poking a camera lens through)
    The ones I bought have ties on the bottom corners so you can use it as a blind if there are handy trees around.
    The material is quiet and it folds up into a small bag so it's easy to carry.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.