Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Can anyone help?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

aftertherain
21 Apr 2009 - 9:23 AM

I've posted a picture in the gallery here's the pic .
It has radiating lines in the sky and I've noticed the same effect in other people's pictures on EPZ.
Can anyone tell me what's causing this and how do I stop it happening, please?
Picture details 1/10 sec@ f22 ISO 200, lens 18mm, 0.6 Lee ND soft.
Mirror up, tripod, remote release.
Thanks
Merl

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Apr 2009 - 9:23 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StuartAt
StuartAt e2 Member 91031 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2009 - 9:59 AM

I think what you are seeing is a product of the compression used to get it to EPZ size. I'm guessing you don't see this in the original?

User_Removed
21 Apr 2009 - 10:03 AM

Fine on my work screen Merl - I'll double-check on my home screen this evening.

jken
jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2009 - 10:05 AM

Think Stuarts right, have you got a uv filter on to? just wondering if it's got a slight colour cast.

jk

BEVZED
BEVZED e2 Member 71139 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
21 Apr 2009 - 10:22 AM

Not sure it is the compression for epz. Working on pics in CS2 I'd found the same effect when I used 'highlight/shadow', in particular on cropped pictures, it really emphasised it.
Be very interested in finding the real cause and a cure. Always worse too when you tip the screen a fraction ...

aftertherain
21 Apr 2009 - 2:03 PM

Quote: I think what you are seeing is a product of the compression used to get it to EPZ size. I'm guessing you don't see this in the original?

Can't be that as it shows up in the RAW files too.

I use Photoshop Elements 6 so I have a very limited Raw palette and all I really use in that is exposure tweak and maybe a little saturation.
In PSE6 I use just Levels and brightness/contrast so I'm not tweaking things much at all.
I've never worked out how the highlights/shadows layer improves anything for me, so I don't use that.

Last Modified By aftertherain at 21 Apr 2009 - 2:07 PM
Phil_Restan
21 Apr 2009 - 2:36 PM

Merl, fine on my monitor, the sky is clear with no lines at all. Is it posible that it's your monitor that is at fault not the image. As I say fine on my monitor so can't help otherwise. Phil

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Apr 2009 - 2:41 PM

Top right banding. well thats what it looks like.

Last Modified By andytvcams at 21 Apr 2009 - 2:43 PM
Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2009 - 2:46 PM

OK on my laptop, even when I waggle the screen about!

JohnParminter
21 Apr 2009 - 2:57 PM

It could be slight colour banding or equally you are resolving very subtle bands of cloud in the sky. It looks like the latter to me.
john

User_Removed
21 Apr 2009 - 3:07 PM

I downloaded the large image and had to zoom to 200% before I noticed anything. I guess on a high res version it will be more obvious.

Did you take more than 1 picture, if so are the others the same. Do you shoot jpg at the same time, same question. Have you seen this before on any picture not taken with a long exposure or not using the ND filter.

aftertherain
21 Apr 2009 - 5:03 PM

Thankyou - I have several shots and I'll upload them as variations later tonight.
As I said I have noticed that other people here on EPZ get the same effect, no one seems to comment on it but I'd hate to have it printed up for show like that.
Merl

Bellie
Bellie  7507 forum posts
21 Apr 2009 - 5:15 PM

I have noticed the same effect on some of my shots too. I found it happened when I was using a ND grad and the sky was graduating too. More noticeable when I try to convert them to IR mono - makes them look quite poor.

aftertherain
21 Apr 2009 - 5:33 PM

I've uploaded two more shots as variations.
On reflection it might be the monitor as this has only become apparent since I had everything re-installed after the HD was wiped.
I have a second monitor/computer I'll try the images on that and see how it looks there.
Merl

mohikan22
mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2009 - 5:37 PM

i see them on mine. mainly the lighter colours. not so noticeable on the darker blue(v2) : Dell SP2309W(Digital) : working on 2048x1152 32bit 60Hz
Not sure what it is though sorry Sad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.