Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Can anyone recommend a budget lens for Canon 400D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
wattley
wattley  4 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2010 - 8:46 PM

I have just got my first DSLR.A Canon 400D.I am interested in photographing butterflies ,dragonflies and insects closeup,aswell as shooting landscapes.Can anyone suggest which lens I should be using,can one do both or do I need a macro lens and a zom lens.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Feb 2010 - 8:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Warriorpoet
5 Feb 2010 - 8:56 PM

Hi and welcome to EPZ.

I think you will need two separate lenses. Ideally a dedicated macro and a mid to wide angled zoom. If you give an idea of your budget then it is easier to make sensible recommendations. I suspect though I don't do macro myself that you will probably need a reasonably long zoom for butterflies and dragonflies and they tend not to be cheap.

Dave

Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Feb 2010 - 8:57 PM

Well I use the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5. (approx 27-112mm 35mm eqivalent). I shoot a lot of landscapes, and find the range pretty good for most of my shots - wide enough for those sweeping landscape shots, and long enough to focus in on detail.

It also performs pretty well as a macro - giving a respectable 1:2.1 at 70mm. I was actually suprised how close you can get with the lens - and that may be a problem for your insects etc - to get that 1;2.1 you have to ve very close to your subject!!!

I got mine second hand from Misfuds for about 160.00 last May, and can't fault it.

wattley
5 Feb 2010 - 9:28 PM

Thanks for your help,Dave and Nigeboy.I`ve had to get preety close to my subjects so to speak with my compact digital so this lens shouldn`t be a problem.!! Bring on the sunny weather.

cheers
Kath

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 10:41 PM

Hi Kath,

What lens do you have at present?

Tricky, as warrierpoet says 2 lenses is ideal.
For Macro (true macro lens have a 1:1 measure sensor size = image size)
The best seems to be a Tamron 90mm listening to the last 2 years of reviews but i think its about 300, i've got a Sigma 70mm but would like a longer lens maybe the Tamron for even a sigma 105mm (all f2.8).
Some lenses say macro, and do an OK job for larger subjects - such as many of the 70-300mm from sigma or canon for about 150.

Hopefully you have the 17-55mm kit lens typically sold with the 400D, this will be fine for landscapes at the 17mm end. Often you want a smaller aperture for greater depth of field so no need for an expensive F2.8 version of this lens.

Echo - roll on the summer, summer = more light and more interest.

Warriorpoet
5 Feb 2010 - 10:52 PM

If you getting really close to your macro subjects then the extension tubes as Chris suggests and the 50mm 1.8 would be a good combination. The 50mm is a fantastic lens for the price, actually a fantastic lens for at least twice the price.

Toonman
Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2010 - 8:28 AM

I also had the Sigma 17-70 a cracking all rounder to get you going but, no image stabilazation as you may have had in your compact camera.

Adam

Last Modified By Toonman at 6 Feb 2010 - 8:29 AM
wattley
6 Feb 2010 - 8:58 AM

Thankyou everyone for all your help,very much appreciated.Time to go shopping I think.Really pleased I came accross this site.

Kath

cheddar-caveman

Funnily enough most of my butterfrly/bird and other wildlife shots are taken with my Canon300mm f4 IS USB lense. That way you don't have to get too close and risk scaring them off! I doubt you'd get close enough to most butterflies with a macro lens!
There are a few of my pics here:

link

Last Modified By cheddar-caveman at 7 Feb 2010 - 7:05 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2010 - 7:28 PM

Quote: Canon300mm f4 IS USB lense.

did you stick that on your computer?

Sorry, couldn't resist...Smile

cheddar-caveman

Errrrr - a senior moment! Obviously should read USM! Well spotted coleslaw (Had some for lunch today!) At least it shows people actually take the rouble to read these posts!
Thanks

steve_p
steve_p  81096 forum posts England
8 Feb 2010 - 8:36 PM

Quote: people actually take the rouble to read these posts!

Michael, couldn't resist this either- are you Russian "rouble"!!
Wink
best wishes, I am glad someone else has trouble withe keyboard!
Steve

cheddar-caveman
11 Feb 2010 - 7:42 AM

You have trouble "withe" keyboard?? You'd better believe that I am typing this VERY carefully!!Wink

While on here, back to the original post, obviiously the Canon 300mm f4 that I said I use hardly qualifies as a "budget" lens but it does do a brilliant job of close-ups! (again typing very carefully in case steve is watching).

Last Modified By cheddar-caveman at 11 Feb 2010 - 7:45 AM
psiman
psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
11 Feb 2010 - 12:26 PM

Quote: obviiously

obviously not that carefully Wink

On a slightly more helpful note if you use something like Google toolbar in your web browser it comes with a spellchecker which I find is useful for checking thread postings (if I remember to use it!). Bugger got me at it now having to check for any typo's to avoid "people who live in glass houses" syndrome!

Another vote for the Sigma 17-70mm Macro as a walk around lens and good for landscape work and I believe there's an IS version out now. You could look at the Sigma 70-300mm Macro lenses, again I think the latest version has IS and they are good value but having upgraded to a Canon 70-200mm f4L a few years ago its a far better lens with much better image quality.

Simon

Last Modified By psiman at 11 Feb 2010 - 12:36 PM
JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2010 - 12:34 PM

And google chrome as a browser has a built in spell checker for all text entry. but i still prefere too youse IE.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.