Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Can anyone tell me

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    phantomsailer

Is it possible to fit a eos ef-s lens to a D1 mk iv or is there an adaptor that allows an EF-S lens to be fitted to a EF Body ie 5D Mkii etc.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Aug 2014 - 7:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56690 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Aug 2014 - 8:36 AM

No and no.
    The rear elements of the EF-S lenses are closer to the mount than in EF-lenses which means that the mirror will hit the lens. And any adapter would change the distance from the rear lens element to the sensor and you would lose infinity focus (it would effectively be a short macro extension tube).

phantomsailer

Thanks Mikehit question answered many thanksGrin

Dave_Canon
    27 Aug 2014 - 11:07 AM

At a photo shoot I was swapping between and APS-c camera 20D and a full frame 5D mkii and changing lenses. I have only one EF-S lens (10-20mm) and unintentionally tried to put it on the 5D Mkii (probably just to park it). It touched the clip at the top of the camera which released the focus screen. I realised straightaway so no further damage was done. It was surprising that dropping the focus screen into mud resulted in fine scratches after careful cleaning so it was useless. I had been considering buying a different focus screen anyway so it was not so bad. Keep EF-S lenses well away from full frame Canon DSLR's. Even if you could connect it safely, the image from the EF-S lens would not cover the sensor anyway.

Dave

Chris_L
    Chris_L e2 Member 1255 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
    27 Aug 2014 - 11:34 AM

There's no worry about hitting the mirror because you can't attach the lens in the first place.

A Canon EF-S lens has something different about the mount that physically stops you fitting it to cameras which aren't compatible. EF-S lenses won't even fit some Canon APS-C bodies (those made before 2003) even though the image circle would cover the sensor.

I think Dave is talking about the Sigma 10-20 - strictly speaking that's not actually an EF-S lens. It's got an EF mount and you simply aren't supposed to use it on none APS-C bodies; but unlike a true EF-S lens, you physically can but you run a risk of damage.

I used to use a Sigma 10-20 on a 1D Mk II then crop the image.

Cameras with an EF-S mount can take EF and EF-S lenses. Cameras with an EF mount can only take EF lenses.

Sigma copy the concept with their DC range but not the mount,probably due to design rights issues.

Last Modified By Chris_L at 27 Aug 2014 - 11:40 AM
    MeanGreeny
    27 Aug 2014 - 12:02 PM

Quote: There's no worry about hitting the mirror because you can't attach the lens in the first place.

A Canon EF-S lens has something different about the mount that physically stops you fitting it to cameras which aren't compatible. EF-S lenses won't even fit some Canon APS-C bodies (those made before 2003) even though the image circle would cover the sensor.

I think Dave is talking about the Sigma 10-20 - strictly speaking that's not actually an EF-S lens. It's got an EF mount and you simply aren't supposed to use it on none APS-C bodies; but unlike a true EF-S lens, you physically can but you run a risk of damage.

I used to use a Sigma 10-20 on a 1D Mk II then crop the image.

Cameras with an EF-S mount can take EF and EF-S lenses. Cameras with an EF mount can only take EF lenses.

Sigma copy the concept with their DC range but not the mount,probably due to design rights issues.

^ Not entirely true.

I damaged a 5D by trying to fit a Canon EF-S lens under circumstances similar to Dave_Canon. The damage occurred before the lens was locked in the mount

Last Modified By MeanGreeny at 27 Aug 2014 - 12:03 PM
    Dave_Canon
    27 Aug 2014 - 12:21 PM

Quote:

No the lens in question was a Canon 10-20mm. I suspect that it cannot be properly fitted but you can cause damage by just trying to fit it.

Dave

Chris_L
    Chris_L e2 Member 1255 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
    27 Aug 2014 - 1:01 PM

Actually it must have been a 10-22 if it was a Canon? Hence the confusion.

Compatibility list here (also mentions how you can 'hack' it)

Quote: The damage occurred before the lens was locked in the mount

You must have been forcing that in pretty hard, which lens was it that you were desperate to use on your 5D?

I suppose the moral is - don't do it Grin

Dave_Canon
    27 Aug 2014 - 1:32 PM

Quote: Actually it must have been a 10-22 if it was a Canon? Hence the confusion.

Yes you are correct, it is a Canon 10-22mm. It normally resides on 20D now converted to IR and is an excellent IR lens.

Dave

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.