Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Can anyone tell me


Is it possible to fit a eos ef-s lens to a D1 mk iv or is there an adaptor that allows an EF-S lens to be fitted to a EF Body ie 5D Mkii etc.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2014 8:36AM
No and no.
The rear elements of the EF-S lenses are closer to the mount than in EF-lenses which means that the mirror will hit the lens. And any adapter would change the distance from the rear lens element to the sensor and you would lose infinity focus (it would effectively be a short macro extension tube).
Thanks Mikehit question answered many thanksGrin
Dave_Canon 8 940 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2014 11:07AM
At a photo shoot I was swapping between and APS-c camera 20D and a full frame 5D mkii and changing lenses. I have only one EF-S lens (10-20mm) and unintentionally tried to put it on the 5D Mkii (probably just to park it). It touched the clip at the top of the camera which released the focus screen. I realised straightaway so no further damage was done. It was surprising that dropping the focus screen into mud resulted in fine scratches after careful cleaning so it was useless. I had been considering buying a different focus screen anyway so it was not so bad. Keep EF-S lenses well away from full frame Canon DSLR's. Even if you could connect it safely, the image from the EF-S lens would not cover the sensor anyway.

Dave
Chris_L e2
1.5k United Kingdom
27 Aug 2014 11:34AM
There's no worry about hitting the mirror because you can't attach the lens in the first place.

A Canon EF-S lens has something different about the mount that physically stops you fitting it to cameras which aren't compatible. EF-S lenses won't even fit some Canon APS-C bodies (those made before 2003) even though the image circle would cover the sensor.

I think Dave is talking about the Sigma 10-20 - strictly speaking that's not actually an EF-S lens. It's got an EF mount and you simply aren't supposed to use it on none APS-C bodies; but unlike a true EF-S lens, you physically can but you run a risk of damage.

I used to use a Sigma 10-20 on a 1D Mk II then crop the image.

Cameras with an EF-S mount can take EF and EF-S lenses. Cameras with an EF mount can only take EF lenses.

Sigma copy the concept with their DC range but not the mount,probably due to design rights issues.
MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
27 Aug 2014 12:02PM

Quote:There's no worry about hitting the mirror because you can't attach the lens in the first place.

A Canon EF-S lens has something different about the mount that physically stops you fitting it to cameras which aren't compatible. EF-S lenses won't even fit some Canon APS-C bodies (those made before 2003) even though the image circle would cover the sensor.

I think Dave is talking about the Sigma 10-20 - strictly speaking that's not actually an EF-S lens. It's got an EF mount and you simply aren't supposed to use it on none APS-C bodies; but unlike a true EF-S lens, you physically can but you run a risk of damage.

I used to use a Sigma 10-20 on a 1D Mk II then crop the image.

Cameras with an EF-S mount can take EF and EF-S lenses. Cameras with an EF mount can only take EF lenses.

Sigma copy the concept with their DC range but not the mount,probably due to design rights issues.



^ Not entirely true.

I damaged a 5D by trying to fit a Canon EF-S lens under circumstances similar to Dave_Canon. The damage occurred before the lens was locked in the mount
Dave_Canon 8 940 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2014 12:21PM

Quote:
I think Dave is talking about the Sigma 10-20 - strictly speaking that's not actually an EF-S lens. It's got an EF mount and you simply aren't supposed to use it on none APS-C bodies; but unlike a true EF-S lens, you physically can but you run a risk of damage.




No the lens in question was a Canon 10-20mm. I suspect that it cannot be properly fitted but you can cause damage by just trying to fit it.

Dave
Chris_L e2
1.5k United Kingdom
27 Aug 2014 1:01PM
Actually it must have been a 10-22 if it was a Canon? Hence the confusion.

Compatibility list here (also mentions how you can 'hack' it)


Quote:The damage occurred before the lens was locked in the mount

You must have been forcing that in pretty hard, which lens was it that you were desperate to use on your 5D?

I suppose the moral is - don't do it Grin
Dave_Canon 8 940 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2014 1:32PM

Quote:Actually it must have been a 10-22 if it was a Canon? Hence the confusion.




Yes you are correct, it is a Canon 10-22mm. It normally resides on 20D now converted to IR and is an excellent IR lens.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.