Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Can digital still not match film?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023097 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2013 - 10:11 PM

Not irrelevant but very possibly surplus to requirements. Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Apr 2013 - 10:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2013 - 10:22 PM

Quote: I don't play an MP3 and moan when it doesn't sound scratchy and keep jumping.

I do moan when I hear an MP3 and it sounds dull and dynamically constipated compared to vinyl on good equipment… Wink

MrDennis
MrDennis  5229 forum posts Wales
1 May 2013 - 9:49 PM

You don't have to Clean an mp3 of dust or scratches, so that makes life easier for 99% of people.

For someone who is Good or Very good in the Darkroom (Lab photo Technicians etc), Film will always beat a good digi.
This arguement will rage on for years...

90% of todays photographers use a DSLR or point and shoot or phone...85% of photographers & Judges can not tell the difference between a film print and a digi print done on a Pro machine. FACT! (unless you can feel the difference or smell some Dev).

A Medium Format camera costs too much for most photographers unless you make your cash from it. There are more iPhone camera users than any other camera user, so Digital rules. (that includes other top camera phones as well). Colleges still use Film because they believe in the basics of photography for learning. (Good for them). Once a Student has passed all their exams, majority will go over to digital.

Happy Photography All..

MichaelMelb_AU
2 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

Quote: You don't have to Clean an mp3 of dust or scratches, so that makes life easier for 99% of people.

Talking DSLR sensors? Wink

MichaelMelb_AU
2 May 2013 - 12:38 AM

Interesting thing - as soon as the next film vs digital discussion hits the net, the statistical arguments ( like 99.99 per cent people use digital) take hold. Popularity does not equal quality however. If 99.99 per cent of people cannot dance properly - does not make any professional dancer worse. As for quality itself - I already had my say. The only thing to add - roots of film decline do not lay in technical or aesthetic planes. It is still possible to take that image to the computer screen - and it will look distinct from purely digital. One of the reasons of it would be multi stage rendering/re-sampling of digital image till it finally gets exposed in it's analogue form - the only one that we can truly see.
Decline of film owes more to convenience and economics - which promotes immediate results with minimal expenditures. That has nothing to do with artistic side of photography however. And for the results produced by 99.99 per cent of everyday users there would be no loss in going digital over film, true.

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 2 May 2013 - 12:44 AM
Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122275 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2013 - 7:52 AM

I rue the day glass plates went out of fashion. There was nothing like a good glass plate contact print. Far better than negatives Wink

keith selmes
2 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

Quote: plates went out of fashion

What ? When ? nobody tells me nothing any more

-mg-3927-e.jpg

(FP4 exposed as iso100, dev in ID-11 stock for 10 minutes, last week)

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139495 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

Nothing beats a good daguerreotype! Tongue

keith selmes
2 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

That's probably true actually.

conrad
conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

But, in the spirit of the original question, you may wonder if the daguerrotype couldn't be replicated digitally... Wink

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122275 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2013 - 1:09 PM

Keith, that San Miguel looks rather tasty Smile

paulcookphotography

It does usually come down to personal preference and in some cases perhaps an elitist opinion, but some aspects of the film v digital arguement are usualy missed out:

The 'life' of the media (unused film won't last forever and only has an optimum working window)
Effective temperature range
Running costs (single use v re-usable)
In-camera manipulation (ISO settings etc)
Convenience (always have a card in the camera)
Etc, etc...

So the question could be flipped tonask if film could ever match digital. Don't get me wrong, I love shooting medium format film for work and hobby, but the vast majority of my work is shot digitally for the above reasons and more. The difference in image/print quality is so little it makes little or no difference for me

mikehit
mikehit  56535 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2013 - 2:00 PM

Or to put it another way - if they had invented digital photography first, can you imagine photographers going "Oh, yeah. Let's use this new fangled medium called film. Let's play with toxic chemicals and wait 5 days to see the results! Cool!"

monstersnowman

They WOULD be asking if 'film could ever match digital' with its multitude of benefits and conveniences IF digital had come out first. The whole argument would be flipped on its head and it is quite probable that the same people loving the feel and look of film would be loving the feel and look of traditional old digital compared with the inconvenient grainy look of new fangled film with its dusty, scratchy negatives etc .. That's of course just my opinion Smile

keith selmes
2 May 2013 - 2:24 PM

Quote: Keith, that San Miguel looks rather tasty

mixed it myself Wink Nearly ran out of bottles though, I didn't know you had to make all 5 litres in one go

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.