Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Can I lock the mirror ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    PeteWelshPhotography

I take a lot of Bird/wildlife photos I am usually fairly close to the subjects and the sound of my shutter/mirror tends to scare them off .. Is there a way to lock my mirror up to make it quieter.. The camera I use are the K10D and the *istDL

Last Modified By PeteWelshPhotography at 22 Dec 2008 - 9:26 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Dec 2008 - 9:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paintman
    Paintman e2 Member 7853 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom173 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Dec 2008 - 10:24 PM

I'm sure your camera's manual will be able to tell you exactly how to do what you want. It will probably be under custom functions.

spaceman
    spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Dec 2008 - 10:31 PM

But when the mirror's locked up you can't see anything.

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Dec 2008 - 11:22 PM

Agreed - mirror lockup is a feature on many DSLRs, but when the mirror is up you can no longer view through the viewfinder (the mirror is what reflects the light up into the viewfinder instead of allowing it to hit the sensor). I also belive that AF will not function either in this mode, though to be honest I have never tried it. The mode works best with tripod work where you are try to remove any shake at the time of shooting, but have time to setup and take a shot rather than being pressured for time or shooting fast moving subjects

I belive some of the cameras with liveview allow for a silent shooting mode where the mirror is locked up but you can still view (though liveview) what the lens is seeing and also use auto focus.

Alan_Warriner
    23 Dec 2008 - 12:15 AM

I think it's the re-cocking the shutter that makes the most noise.

Doesn't the latest 5D have an option to not recock the shutter for just that reason

spaceman
    spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Dec 2008 - 1:50 AM

Ages and ages ago (the 90s I think) Canon released a camera which had a fixed mirror. I think it was along the lines of a two way mirror - one side was transparent so you could see straight through the mirror. Don't know why they never made another one because it seems like a good idea.

pink
    pink  111537 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Dec 2008 - 7:19 AM

Spaceman, the camera you are referring to was a Canon RT (real time) this featured a pellicle mirror which was fixed and did not flip up when the image was taken. It was (still is) a great camera for these situations and also for capturing that 'decisive moment' as you could tell if someone blinked etc at a wedding and re-take, and in the film days this was a distinct advantage. the main disadvantage was viewfinder brightness sufferedby 1 or 2 stops. I am not sure why it was not developed more because it also gave you a much faster frame rate (no mirror flipping up and down) and also very much quieter with less moving parts. I still use my RT on a regular basis alongside Digital and other film bodies, when you use it you realise just what a good concept it is.
    Regards
    Ian

PeteWelshPhotography

Thank you to all, some interesting info there.
    I shall refer to the manual again as suggested and if possible I shall prefocus on a spot set up specifically "set up" for the creature to land/feed in, and release the shutter remotely by wireless..
    Thank you once again

Peter

alfpics
    alfpics  12357 forum posts England
    23 Dec 2008 - 12:44 PM

For the K10D, you only have the facility of a 2second timer that is programmed from the menu button/ select Drive mode etc. It si there to reduce camera shake for static subjects, and does so by locking mirror up 2 seconds before shutter release. During which time, viewfinder is blacked out - and of sourse you still get the mirror noise. K20D has a version of livewiew that locks mirror up (but then you would have to manually focus using the liveview screen). I don't have the K20D, but from having tried one, I also think the actual shutter is quieter than my K10D.
    Andy

Phinickphotos
    29 Dec 2008 - 9:58 PM

My Pentax *ist film job has mirror lock up with 2 second delay so you would think it would be on the 20 D,but that's designers for you.
    Geo.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.