Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

can I run photoshop on mac and pc?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brianquinn
16 Jan 2012 - 9:55 PM

I've got cs4 running on my pc, but have now bought a macbook.
I've been in touch with Adobe to see about them sending me a disc for the mac, but they've told me they will only deal with the current (cs5) version of the software.
So, i was considering the upgrade, but wonder if anyone knows, can I get the upgrade to run on my pc AND my macbook??

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Jan 2012 - 9:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chelle
chelle  877 forum posts
16 Jan 2012 - 10:03 PM

I don't think you can get the same disc to work on both mac and pc. I can't be sure though, but as far as I know you either buy photoshop for mac or for pc.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014807 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2012 - 10:12 PM

definitely different installers

maybe you can download the demo version of CS4 and try the key on the mac?

if you can't find a legitimate copy of CS4 you're stuffed, or you have to be naughty

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2012 - 10:38 PM

I bought a copy of Elements 10 recently, it came with 3 disks. Depending on your OS, set the disk you started with, 3 for OSX, 1 for windows. So I would ask Adobe if they supply both Mac and OS versions with your new purchase.

It used to be that their licence allowed you to install the SW on one base machine and one mobile machine, as long as you only used one at a time.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2012 - 10:49 PM

You buy a copy that is for Mac or a copy that is for Windows OS, Pays your money, Take your choice.....Grin

Or just use Photoshop Elements 10 on the Mac, You'll hardly notice the differance....Wink

MartinBrown
MartinBrown e2 Member 4131 forum postsMartinBrown vcard England
17 Jan 2012 - 9:00 AM

You could run "Parallels For Mac" which allows you to run Windows software on a Mac, therefore just reinstall you PC version with your original keyWink

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2012 - 9:19 AM

You will have to buy again as a PC key isn't transferable to a Mac.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2012 - 9:21 AM

Quote: You will have to buy again as a PC key isn't transferable to a Mac.

That is interesting as Elements is a licence key for either now and they ship you both versions on the CD. Why not just buy a copy of elements for the lap top.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2012 - 9:25 AM

HHmmmm...it is... I had to buy again.

User_Removed
17 Jan 2012 - 2:39 PM

Cathy I think yours wasn't transferable because of something to do with student editions?

I understand that so long as you deactivate from one computer you can then activate on another computer. The hard part might be finding a Mac download of the CS4 version of Photoshop if you didn't get the CDs.

Once it is installed on both machines you should be able to move quite swiftly from one computer to the other by using the Photoshop menu item to Deactivate / Activate

(See Screenshot From my Photoshop)

17-01-2012-14-37-52.jpg

HTH

CathyT
17 Jan 2012 - 3:29 PM

Your probably right...mine was and still is a student edition.

theorderingone
17 Jan 2012 - 5:04 PM

Might another way to do it to install Windows on the Mac using bootcamp?

Not a particularly elegant solution, but it would work.

goexplorephotography

I just bought a iMac as my old pc was crashing and getting slow, and i also wanted to install my elements 9 on it. In the original elements box i had a PC and a apple disk so i thought there wouldn't be any problems. After 6 installation attempts i couldn't get it running properly. i contacted adobe and they said they wouldn't discuss my problem unless i upgrade to elements 10. the bloody thing had only been out a couple of months. i did post some questions on the adobe forum but none of there recommendations worked. Apple support were great but if was obviously an adobe issue and in the end i gave up. The only solution adobe offered was to spend 69 quid on elements 10 and hope it worked, or i could tell adobe to stick it and get apple Aperture 3 which apple offered to discount from 179.99 to 54.99.
That was two weeks ago and although its taken a little getting used to i have to say i can't believe anyone uses adobe products, aperture is amazing. so simple to use and very effective. Photoshop and elements have a lot more functions, but that because it needs them to get around it destructive editing system. My advice to anyone who buys an apple is ditch adobe and get Aperture 3. you won't regret it.

Last Modified By goexplorephotography at 17 Jan 2012 - 6:02 PM
brianquinn
17 Jan 2012 - 7:23 PM

Apparently, i can get a "multi platform license which will allow me to run on both systems.
BUT
after an hour on the phone to adobe in the states, india and somewhere else, I was disconnected while waiting for the guy to come back with a price for me.
I think I might just wait for Focus on Imaging and go on to the adobe stand and just get it over and done with, and thump someone.

User_Removed
17 Jan 2012 - 8:14 PM

Quote: i have to say i can't believe anyone uses adobe products, aperture is amazing. so simple to use and very effective. Photoshop and elements have a lot more functions, but that because it needs them to get around it destructive editing system

I always think of Aperture as playing catch up with Adobe's non-destructive Lightroom.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.