Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Can I use an old Minolta flash with a slave trigger?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MiqsPix
MiqsPix  341 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Aug 2011 - 4:42 PM

I have an old Minolta 1800 af flash and want to use it with a hot shoe slave trigger as a remote flash within a simple studio set up. I have read that the Minolta flash configuration of hot shoe pins will not be compatible with a selection of triggers. Is this true and is there any way around this problem?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Aug 2011 - 4:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
25 Aug 2011 - 8:13 PM

Yes.

Mount the Minolta flash on a slave trigger mount - (example here) on a suitable mounting (tripod? et al), trigger the whole scene from your main flash and job done.

AlanPerkins
25 Aug 2011 - 8:26 PM

You do need to take care to find a trigger that's compatible with Minolta/Sony flash mount. I used Minolta film cameras, and the hotshoe on that would not even accept a hotshoe spirit level.

User_Removed
25 Aug 2011 - 9:02 PM

Quote: You do need to take care to find a trigger that's compatible with Minolta/Sony flash mount

Why? The flash isn't connected to the camera - and the centre contact (with the shoe mount providing the 'earth') is also isolated...????

AlanPerkins
25 Aug 2011 - 10:03 PM

Quote: You do need to take care to find a trigger that's compatible with Minolta/Sony flash mount

Why? The flash isn't connected to the camera - and the centre contact (with the shoe mount providing the 'earth') is also isolated...????

No idea why. I've never taken one appart. I just know from my experience of Minolta cameras that generic hotshoe attachements don't fit Minolta/Sony hotshoes. I therefore advise caution when purchasing an item which is intended for use with a Minolta flash.

User_Removed
25 Aug 2011 - 10:23 PM

Quote: I therefore advise caution when purchasing an item which is intended for use with a Minolta flash.

Why?

The intent is to stick 'it' (the Minolta gun) on a stand - sitting on a slave OPTICAL 'trigger' - and 'fired' remotely (i.e. using light) from the camera's gun.

Identify the problem.

AlanPerkins
25 Aug 2011 - 10:29 PM

Quote: Identify the problem.

The OPTICAL 'trigger' still needs to fit onto the MINOLTA kit to be able to fire it. Have you checked that it will? If so, my advice to be cautious it redundant. The OP is aware of possible problems, which was the reason for my original advice.

Last Modified By AlanPerkins at 25 Aug 2011 - 10:30 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315157 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2011 - 12:47 AM

Quote: The OPTICAL 'trigger' still needs to fit onto the MINOLTA kit to be able to fire it. Have you checked that it wil

The Minolta has a hot shoe so what`s the problem ?

I`ve only ever found one problem concerning one flash unit connected to an optical slave, and that was with a canon 420 ex, it had no manual off camera control built into the unit Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 26 Aug 2011 - 12:48 AM
RogBrown
RogBrown  73001 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2011 - 9:14 AM

Quote: The Minolta has a hot shoe so what`s the problem

The Minolta/Sony hotshoe is different to every other make on the planet!

AlanPerkins
26 Aug 2011 - 9:18 AM

Quote: The Minolta has a hot shoe so what`s the problem
The Minolta/Sony hotshoe is different to every other make on the planet!

Thanks Rog. That;s what I was trying to get across - as I said, Minolta cameras won't even accept a generic hotshoe spirit level.

Some people just won't listen.

User_Removed
26 Aug 2011 - 10:36 AM

My sincere apologies Alan - a close friend uses Minolta 35mm equipment and that is standard in terms of hotshoe...

What and who 'signed-off' on this!!?? -

800px-konica-minolta-dynax-7d-hot-shoe.jpg

There's a whole bunch of adapters and stuff here - if it helps.

And they say ignorance is bliss!! My apologies again.

AlanPerkins
26 Aug 2011 - 1:05 PM

Quote: And they say ignorance is bliss!! My apologies again.

Apology accepted. I think we were both getting a bit frustrated last night Wink

MiqsPix
MiqsPix  341 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Aug 2011 - 5:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I went down to my local Jessops camera store and took the Minolta flash with me and sure enough it didn't fit their trigger shoe. I investigated the possibility of using a flash adapter but saw THIS on Ebay including the caveat "Do not use with old (usually more than 10 years old) high sync voltage flashes, as the adapter does not include a voltage matching circuit ..." Would this still apply to me using it as a remote flash trigger and not fixed on the camera? I know that we cannot use old flash guns on new cameras but will this still apply to my intended use as a remote flash trigger?

To Mike Otley:
Checked your example but this was stated . NOTE: It will not work with Canon EX series SpeedLite (including 580EX II, 580EX, 430EX, 420EX, 380EX) and Sony/Konica Minolta flash units.

kinfatric
kinfatric  9550 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2011 - 7:42 PM

This may help in a configuration Seagull Sc-6

Last Modified By kinfatric at 26 Aug 2011 - 7:44 PM
kinfatric
kinfatric  9550 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2011 - 7:53 PM

Sorry Roger, I should have read the post above mine and hadn't noticed you had already tracked the item down that I mention.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.