Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Can I use an old Minolta flash with a slave trigger?

MiqsPix 3 41 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2011 4:42PM
I have an old Minolta 1800 af flash and want to use it with a hot shoe slave trigger as a remote flash within a simple studio set up. I have read that the Minolta flash configuration of hot shoe pins will not be compatible with a selection of triggers. Is this true and is there any way around this problem?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 11 17.9k 8 Norway
25 Aug 2011 8:13PM
Yes.

Mount the Minolta flash on a slave trigger mount - ( example here ) on a suitable mounting (tripod? et al), trigger the whole scene from your main flash and job done.
AlanPerkins 9 491 England
25 Aug 2011 8:26PM
You do need to take care to find a trigger that's compatible with Minolta/Sony flash mount. I used Minolta film cameras, and the hotshoe on that would not even accept a hotshoe spirit level.
25 Aug 2011 9:02PM

Quote:You do need to take care to find a trigger that's compatible with Minolta/Sony flash mount

Why? The flash isn't connected to the camera - and the centre contact (with the shoe mount providing the 'earth') is also isolated...????
25 Aug 2011 10:03PM

Quote:You do need to take care to find a trigger that's compatible with Minolta/Sony flash mount

Why? The flash isn't connected to the camera - and the centre contact (with the shoe mount providing the 'earth') is also isolated...????

No idea why. I've never taken one appart. I just know from my experience of Minolta cameras that generic hotshoe attachements don't fit Minolta/Sony hotshoes. I therefore advise caution when purchasing an item which is intended for use with a Minolta flash.
25 Aug 2011 10:23PM

Quote:I therefore advise caution when purchasing an item which is intended for use with a Minolta flash.

Why?

The intent is to stick 'it' (the Minolta gun) on a stand - sitting on a slave OPTICAL 'trigger' - and 'fired' remotely (i.e. using light) from the camera's gun.

Identify the problem.
25 Aug 2011 10:29PM

Quote:Identify the problem.

The OPTICAL 'trigger' still needs to fit onto the MINOLTA kit to be able to fire it. Have you checked that it will? If so, my advice to be cautious it redundant. The OP is aware of possible problems, which was the reason for my original advice.
Paul Morgan 13 16.4k 6 England
26 Aug 2011 12:47AM

Quote:The OPTICAL 'trigger' still needs to fit onto the MINOLTA kit to be able to fire it. Have you checked that it wil

The Minolta has a hot shoe so what`s the problem ?

I`ve only ever found one problem concerning one flash unit connected to an optical slave, and that was with a canon 420 ex, it had no manual off camera control built into the unit Smile
RogBrown 8 3.0k 10 England
26 Aug 2011 9:14AM

Quote:The Minolta has a hot shoe so what`s the problem

The Minolta/Sony hotshoe is different to every other make on the planet!
26 Aug 2011 9:18AM

Quote:The Minolta has a hot shoe so what`s the problem
The Minolta/Sony hotshoe is different to every other make on the planet!

Thanks Rog. That;s what I was trying to get across - as I said, Minolta cameras won't even accept a generic hotshoe spirit level.

Some people just won't listen.
26 Aug 2011 10:36AM
My sincere apologies Alan - a close friend uses Minolta 35mm equipment and that is standard in terms of hotshoe...

What and who 'signed-off' on this!!?? -

800px-konica-minolta-dynax-7d-hot-shoe.jpg

There's a whole bunch of adapters and stuff here - if it helps.

And they say ignorance is bliss!! My apologies again.
26 Aug 2011 1:05PM

Quote:And they say ignorance is bliss!! My apologies again.

Apology accepted. I think we were both getting a bit frustrated last night Wink
MiqsPix 3 41 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2011 5:12PM
Thanks for all the replies. I went down to my local Jessops camera store and took the Minolta flash with me and sure enough it didn't fit their trigger shoe. I investigated the possibility of using a flash adapter but saw THIS on Ebay including the caveat "Do not use with old (usually more than 10 years old) high sync voltage flashes, as the adapter does not include a voltage matching circuit ..." Would this still apply to me using it as a remote flash trigger and not fixed on the camera? I know that we cannot use old flash guns on new cameras but will this still apply to my intended use as a remote flash trigger?

To Mike Otley:
Checked your example but this was stated . NOTE: It will not work with Canon EX series SpeedLite (including 580EX II, 580EX, 430EX, 420EX, 380EX) and Sony/Konica Minolta flash units.
kinfatric 10 550 9 Scotland
26 Aug 2011 7:42PM
This may help in a configuration Seagull Sc-6
kinfatric 10 550 9 Scotland
26 Aug 2011 7:53PM
Sorry Roger, I should have read the post above mine and hadn't noticed you had already tracked the item down that I mention.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.