Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Can I use speedlights to overexpose backdrop?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MrGoatsmilk
    12 Feb 2011 - 3:17 PM

I have 2 Bowens gemini heads and a white vinyl backdrop, I want to overexpose the backdrop compared to the subjects. I already have a Canon EX420 flash and wonder if I purchased another flash say a EX430 or similar could I use these on tripods to aim at the backdrop to overexpose it by 1 or 2 stops?

Also what type of trigger would I need to fire them as slaves to the Bowens?

I have a radio trigger for the bowens but the EX420 is an infra red trigger as far as I know as I have never fired it off camera.

Will a trigger such as these do the job for the speedlights?

Thanks for any advice

Stu

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Feb 2011 - 3:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    12 Feb 2011 - 3:38 PM

Just move the subject close to the backdrop and it will act to overexpose it.

Those remote triggers will work fine for manual slave use.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 12 Feb 2011 - 3:40 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    BigRick
    BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Feb 2011 - 7:25 PM

do your speedlight not have an (nikon call it) SU-4 mode where they fire when they see the flash from another light?

and the speedlights may be enough to light the backdrop, but you would need something to make the light larger, as using sppedlights for this may give you two hotspots because of the small lights. Smile

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    MrGoatsmilk
    12 Feb 2011 - 7:35 PM

Cheers for the replies I have ordered a trigger as the 420 is a very basic unit and does not see flash from another light, I would think the units up the range will.

So if they do cause hot spots, (I say they I only have one at the mo so will try it when the trigger arrives.) would it be an idea to attach a flash unit soft box or similar, I have a stofen for it which may do the job but won't know till I give it a go.

Thanks again both Smile

Stu

P.S I really want a Lastolite Hilite and a 3rd head, I have a birthay in septemeber so you never know Wink

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72216 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Feb 2011 - 9:56 PM

Hi Stu,
    in your situation, I would use the Bowens strobes to light the bg as you need more power to over expose, and the spread of light with standard Bowens reflectors will be better than the speedlites light spread.
    In order to soften the speedlites as lighting for your subject, if you buy some thin muslin cloth(or net curtain material) from a fabric shop, and hang it between the speedlites and your subject(always closer to your subject), it will diffuse the light in the same way as a softbox. You can even cut a small piece from the main scrim/cloth, and stick it over the front of the speedlite as further diffusion, or as mentioned, use a stofen on the speedlite.
    Another alternative would be to fire the speedlites into white or silver reflective umbrellas.

BigRick
    12 Feb 2011 - 10:15 PM

Quote: Cheers for the replies I have ordered a trigger as the 420 is a very basic unit and does not see flash from another light, I would think the units up the range will.

So if they do cause hot spots, (I say they I only have one at the mo so will try it when the trigger arrives.) would it be an idea to attach a flash unit soft box or similar, I have a stofen for it which may do the job but won't know till I give it a go.

Thanks again both Smile

Stu

P.S I really want a Lastolite Hilite and a 3rd head, I have a birthay in septemeber so you never know Wink

i use speedlight holders with 'umbrella holes' in them, and use shoot through brollies for nearly all my location shoots, and they seem to work well...

and as said above... probably better to use the mains flash units to light the BG and the Speedlights to light the subject with a couple of brollies or similar. Smile

There is a nurse picture in my PF that was lit with just two speedlights, and a lastolite softbox.... it isnt perfect, but with just two lights i got away with it.... and she was happy with it... but you can get alot of light if you place them in the right spot. Smile

MeanGreeny
    12 Feb 2011 - 11:35 PM

I'm given to understand that the following is THE definitive book on using speedlites:

Speedliters Handbook

BigRick
    13 Feb 2011 - 9:27 AM

Quote: I'm given to understand that the following is THE definitive book on using speedlites:

Speedliters Handbook

cant be any good....

....they use Canon speedlights lol Grin Tongue Wink

MrGoatsmilk
    13 Feb 2011 - 10:32 AM

A very big thank you to all, I shall try the suggestions and get the book.

Stu

MrGoatsmilk
    13 Feb 2011 - 1:07 PM

Just been sent this link to a youtube video. Looks like it can be done.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.