Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Can't afford PHOTOSHOP then try out GIMP

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

avacreates
27 Jan 2013 - 1:55 AM

I understand that there are many people that can't afford Photoshop, therefore, perhaps have a go at GIMP. My I.T. instructors told me that GIMP is as good as Photoshop and it is completely FREE. There are plenty of tutorials on the NET.

It is similar to photoshop and once the basics are worked out, it will become a fun experience. Adobe are not going to like the idea of more people moving to GIMP but human nature is such that the many people that already use photoshop will stick to it and advertise it so I believe that Adobe don't have much to worry about.

The intention of this information is to help NOT to sell a FREE program. I know someone recently accused another EPZ member of trying to sell a free program which doesn't make sense but hey, people have different thought patterns I guess.

Hope this helps
AVA

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Jan 2013 - 1:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315163 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 2:59 AM

I wouldn`t worry about recommending free software, go the whole hog and recomend a whole operating system Smile

Ubuntu seems to be getting there there at long last

http://snart.com/color-calibrating-with-ubuntu-11-10/

avacreates
27 Jan 2013 - 3:10 AM

I completely agree with you Paul, regarding Ubuntu (Linux systems) unfortunately, I have to use Microsoft because I teach beginners to use it. Microsoft has the advantage because every computer sold apart from Apple use Windows. The thing people don't realise is that with Linux, anti-virus programs are not necessary. GIMP will be a good program for users of Linux systems.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Jan 2013 - 8:26 AM

The Gimp creators are not helping Gimp to be easily adopted by the ordinary person e.g. from the Gimp site you cannot just download a windows version and install it you have to compile the source code to create an .exe installable.

scre071.jpg

Try to download and you get this:
scre072.jpg

I'm sure we know what this means but it is incomprehensible gibberish to the average computer user (who will not know you can download an exe version from sourceforge).
The Gimp team need understand the average computer user if they want Gimp to be a popular product

Gary66
Gary66  1158 forum posts England
27 Jan 2013 - 8:26 AM

I was recommended Gimp as I was looking for a less expensive sotware than say photoshop. Have to say it really is a good piece of software to have, and as you say free. Recommend it or at least give it a try. Smile

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
27 Jan 2013 - 9:20 AM

Quote: Microsoft has the advantage because every computer sold apart from Apple use Windows.

er... so you are saying that nobody uses Linux? When I buy a PC I can choose what OS to install (if any). With Apple, you don't have a choice at all. I would say that gives Apple the advantage.

Quote: The thing people don't realise is that with Linux, anti-virus programs are not necessary

Not quite true - there are Linux viruses, they are just not common because people spend their time writing viruses for Windows, as it will have significantly more target machines. I'm sure if the world ran on Linux, we would see a whole load of viruses targeting it.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 9:34 AM

Quote: The Gimp creators are not helping Gimp to be easily adopted by the ordinary person e.g. from the Gimp site you cannot just download a windows version and install it you have to compile the source code to create an .exe installable.

Is that correct as every time I tried the GIMP I just downloaded the version pre-compiled for windows further up the same window you showed.
1-untitled-1.jpg

I just did it now, downloaded the file marked
Quote: Download GIMP 2.8.2

double clicked it and off it went on the installation. No compiling etc.

Re Linux it does have a lot to recommend it, but as Bri says it is the relative popularity that sets how targeted by virus people etc the OS is. After all the popular variant of Linux call android gets targeted by those people.

On GIMP if you are comping from classic windows and Photoshop etc experience Single window mode may be easier to use.

Last Modified By strawman at 27 Jan 2013 - 9:35 AM
collywobles
27 Jan 2013 - 9:45 AM

Just did a a trial download of the Paintsupreme advertised on EPZ in the last few days. AT first glance it looks great with it seems almost as many functions as Photoshop. Still evaluating it but with the initial offer at $9 as a download it is a bargain.

Although I have and use Photoshop I will still buy this as a backup, and as I said for $9 (yes $) its a steal

€olin

andymcdonald
27 Jan 2013 - 9:51 AM

Another free option is Paint.Net.

I don't know how it compares with Photoshop and the GIMP in terms of features, but for the small amount of editing that I do it works very well.

Andy

avacreates
27 Jan 2013 - 9:56 AM

Big Bri - I said Microsoft has the advantage - NOT - nobody uses Linux

I live in Australia and we don't get a choice of operating systems when we buy a new PC. I know a lot of I.T. people who only use Linux because they reformat their computers and load it on.

I didn't put out this information to have an argument with people about Linus and Microsoft. This forum information is regarding GIMP. Obviously there has been a misunderstand because we live in different parts of the world.

FOR ALL THOSE HAVING PROBLEMS DOWNLOADING GIMP - try out: www.filehippo.com

It is a site I use for my free programs and have so far not had any problems. If you still have a problem downloading, let me know and I will make up a tutorial.

Hope this helps
AVA

Last Modified By avacreates at 27 Jan 2013 - 9:58 AM
pmorgan
pmorgan  7217 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 10:38 AM

Although not free as options mentioned above, I thought it worth mentioning (to those not aware) that you can purchase subscription editions of Photoshop for £14.29 a month (one year plan) or £22.23 per month on a month to month plan. You get 20GB of cloud-based storage included. As I say, not free, but maybe a more affordable option for those who are able to spread the cost and keep up with the latest versions and updates.

Rgds
Paul

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
KNS
KNS  5106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 11:14 AM

Search for OSALT - it's a website dedicated to providing access to free software - the acronym expands to Open Source Alternative - which says it all really......all manner of free goodies.

Sourceforge also gives direct access to thousands of Open Source projects.....

For clarity GIMP, amongst many many others, is Open Source.

Last Modified By KNS at 27 Jan 2013 - 11:17 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
KNS
KNS  5106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 11:27 AM

Forgot to mention above - if you do use the Gimp - there is a free online magazine now - search for gimpmagazine - enjoy Smile

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
arhb
arhb e2 Member 72194 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 12:53 PM

Also, the full version of Photoshop CS2(along with the rest of the creative suite 2) is available for free from Adobe now,
which I was using until 6 months ago.

CS2 download page

Last Modified By arhb at 27 Jan 2013 - 12:56 PM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 12:55 PM

Quote: then try out GIMP

I did, I hated every minute of it to, Gimp by name Gimp by nature, No such thing as a free lunch worth eating as they say.

Not free, But silly cheap is Paintsupreme YES not free, But if you own any kind of camera, You will have spent a great deal more already, So why crucify your images ( Your Computer ) with " Freebies " LOL....Grin

Whatever, Its a free world, So they say.....Wink

EDIT:
Quote: Also, the full version of Photoshop CS2(along with the rest of the creative suite 2) is available for free from Adobe now,
which I was using until 6 months ago.

That was true, BUT sadly " GREEDY " Adobe is trying to block that particular portal, Seem they don't even want to give away their OBSOLETE rubbish.......Sad

Last Modified By cameracat at 27 Jan 2013 - 12:58 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.