Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Can't afford PHOTOSHOP then try out GIMP

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Jestertheclown
27 Jan 2013 - 1:34 PM

Quote: That was true, BUT sadly " GREEDY " Adobe is trying to block that particular portal,

It's still working at the moment Vince.

I that perhaps the red blurb at the top has been put there to put people off of trying.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Jan 2013 - 1:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes
27 Jan 2013 - 2:12 PM

Quote: from the Gimp site you cannot just download a windows version and install it

But that's what I've always done. Just download and install.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
27 Jan 2013 - 2:16 PM

Quote: Also, the full version of Photoshop CS2(along with the rest of the creative suite 2) is available for free from Adobe now,
which I was using until 6 months ago.

CS2 download page

Quote: That was true, BUT sadly " GREEDY " Adobe is trying to block that particular portal, Seem they don't even want to give away their OBSOLETE rubbish.......

Actually, neither of those is true. It is not available for free, it available to download if you have a license. The fact that you CAN download it (or could) did not mean that Adobe were ever giving it away, so they are not trying to block it. Neither are they greedy.
Nobody needs Photoshop. If you want it, pay for it. The very clever people that made it need to eat as well.

keith selmes
27 Jan 2013 - 2:27 PM

Quote: My I.T. instructors told me that GIMP is as good as Photoshop

Gimp is OK for a lot of things, but I think the relevant point here is where they are IT instructors, and not graphics design instructors. Having used both, I would definitely go with Photoshop if I had the choice. But it depends really on what you're requirements are. For limited use there are plenty of choices that are free or low cost, but they don't do as much as Photoshop. I suppose one could say, Gimp is as good as Photoshop, if you don't need all of Photoshop. I suspect though, most people would prefer using Photoshop if they had the chance.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72151 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 2:29 PM

I was unaware of that being the case Bri.....
what can I say - maybe a bbq at mine later in the spring for any adobe developers going hungry as a result of the cs2 issue Wink

Jestertheclown
27 Jan 2013 - 2:53 PM

Quote: Actually, neither of those is true. It is not available for free, it available to download if you have a license.

I'm not sure about this licence business Bri.
I downloaded and installed it on my daughter's laptop using the serial that Adobe are publishing on the download page.
Neither of us has any other licence for CS2 and no other Adobe products or licences are present on her machine.
That seems pretty free to me . . . ?

Big Bri
27 Jan 2013 - 3:02 PM

There's a difference between "It is possible to download it for free" and "You are legally entitled to download it for free".

This link was posted on here a couple of weeks ago.

Jestertheclown
27 Jan 2013 - 4:03 PM

Quote: You are only legally entitled to download and install with that serial number if you have a valid license to the product!

If you have a digital creative streak but your budget doesn’t extend far enough to buy Adobe’s Creative Suite applications, this is for you. Adobe have made available an array of applications from its Creative Suite 2 bundle — for free.

Quoted verbatim from the link above.

Yes, I read that too. It made no sense then and it still doesn't.
So!
Which is it?
The person writing this needs to make his mind up because immediately after that bit, he goes on to tell us how to access the rest of the CS2 features for free as well.
Whilst it may be true that Adobe have cocked up with their handling of this, it seems to me that posting the full installation files with the necessary serials alongside isn't going to put people off of using them. Quite the opposite will be the case, obviously.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 27 Jan 2013 - 4:03 PM
redsnappa
redsnappa  111901 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Jan 2013 - 4:07 PM

I cannot find adjustment layers in Gimp, any clues anyone?

Big Bri
27 Jan 2013 - 4:10 PM

Quote: Quoted verbatim from the link above.

Yes, I read that too. It made no sense then and it still doesn't.
So!
Which is it?
The person writing this needs to make his mind up because immediately after that bit, he goes on to tell us how to access the rest of the CS2 features for free as well.
Whilst it may be true that Adobe have cocked up with their handling of this, it seems to me that posting the full installation files with the necessary serials alongside isn't going to put people off of using them. Quite the opposite will be the case, obviously.

I think the guy wrote the original message, then modified it with the bit at the start, to explain that he was wrong. You are right though, he doesn't make that very clear.

Jestertheclown
27 Jan 2013 - 4:14 PM

Quote: I cannot find adjustment layers in Gimp, any clues anyone?

Does GIMP have an adjustment layers tool?

It didn't the last time I looked, although admittedly that was some time ago.

I hope you aren't being taken in by the post above that GIMP is as good as Photoshop because it isn't. Not by along chalk.

strawman
strawman  1022004 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 4:48 PM

The GIMP will have the equivalent to adjustment layers on Version 3.2, but not at the moment. There is the question of is the GIMP as good as photoshop, and there are a few areas where it falls short, but for the majority of photographers are those differences important? Well in my view full fat Photoshop is overkill for most photographers. As for adjustment layers, it is an easier way of working but there is nothing inherantly in the end product that is achieved by adjustment layers that cannor be achieved in another editor.

So if you are on a tight budget are you better off spending your cash on photoshop or getting the GIMP (or even spending less on Elements) and spending the cash on training, or a photo trip, or even another bit of kit, the answer would be buy all of the others before full photoshop. For graphic artists then full photshop is great but for photographers you are paying a lot for not not a lot over Elements or the GIMP.

Last Modified By strawman at 27 Jan 2013 - 4:49 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314976 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 7:48 PM

There`s also a bunch of on line editors, handy if your on the move, holiday or something.

http://pixlr.com/

avacreates
28 Jan 2013 - 2:30 AM

My decision to write this forum topic regarding GIMP was to help those PHOTOGRAPHERS who can't afford Photoshop, therefore I suggested a good alternative in GIMP - The I.T. course I was doing was MULTIMEDIA NOT graphics design therefore GIMP was suggested to students who could not afford PHOTOSHOP - If you want to create brilliant art work from your images then perhaps save up and buy Photoshop.

What I've learned from the arguments on this forum is to be more articulate when I write anything.

I want to thank everyone who has made helpful suggestions and not arguments and put downs. For those people who love to argue and make negative remarks instead of helpful suggestions - I suggest FACEBOOK which allows people to have a 'back to high school experience.' It's a great 'attack' relief and perhaps helpful to release all that pent up anger - I dunna know - I prefer a good ZEN book myself!

For those of you who hated your GIMP experience - could you please elaborate so that we get an idea of the pitfalls - just saying that you hate it is not helpful, we need to know why.
For those of you who love your GIMP experience - could you please elaborate so that we get an idea why
For those of you who love other alternatives to Photoshop and GIMP - could you please elaborate so that we get an idea why

Remember, each person will have a different experience because of our mind-set - what suits one will not suit everyone. This is why I don't understand why people have to make nasty remarks or attack each other like little school kids - I thought there were grown ups on this site - silly me!

To answer some of the questions regarding GIMP for people who would like to experiment with it - Give it a go to determine whether or not you feel it is good enough for your needs. I have some sites for you to check out.

http://www.zdnet.com/can-gimp-replace-photoshop-3039288136/ http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/ http://emptyeasel.com/2008/08/29/how-to-create-a-photomontage-in-gimp/
http://45caliber-icons.livejournal.com/11660.html
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+blend+with+gimp&search_ty...

These tutorials may help to get started and give an idea of how to use GIMP - in this way you can determine whether it is for you or not but like learning PHOTOSHOP or anything else - it takes practice and no matter what one is learning, once the challenge of learning the basics have been formed - the rest starts to fall into place and if by then the program you are trying out does not live up to your expectations and whatever your intentions are to create then perhaps move on and find something else.

A good 'Photographer' will not need much in the way of an editing program although I understand that good professional photographers use photoshop extensively.
A good graphic artist will need to use Photoshop - I would love to hear from a good graphic artist
There is only so much one can give away for free in this economic based world

I put out this forum to be HELPFUL not to be judged, have my words picked to pieces and attacked

I hope there are people that found some of the positive information here helpful

AVA

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.