Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Can we have a new image category please?

ketch e2
7 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
19 Aug 2008 9:38PM
I followed and even contributed to the really interesting threads on DA and DM images and why they may or may not have a home here on EpZ - but those discussions have prompted me to ask if it might be possible to create another category that is probably just as big but is not currently served.

Can we please have a marine or seascape search and select category - it is an absolute nonsense that we make the fine distinctions between DA and DM and Fashion and Nude and 'Raunchy' but at the moment if I want to upload an image of a boat all I have is Transport - if I want to upload an image of a lake or a river all I have is landscape.

So please lets have something like 'Water' as an extra category?

Can it be done?

Best wishes

Robert

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
19 Aug 2008 9:45PM
Hi Robert.
I have submitted a report for you and put it in as a suggestion.
We just have to be careful that we don't create too many categories and make the site confusing for uploading and searching.

Doug Smile
Boyd e2
11 11.2k 11 Wales
19 Aug 2008 9:49PM
What about skyscapes?!!!
And please, let us not fall into the time old mistake of ignoring ponds and muddy puddles.
Paintman e2
8 902 173 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2008 9:55PM
Not forgetting the underrated ditches and dykes catagorySmile
ketch e2
19 Aug 2008 10:07PM
Well I don't see what is wrong with requesting a maritime category given the current range - I find Boyds and Paintmans reaction a little confusing to be honest (I assume they are requesting categories for Skyscapes, puddles, ponds, ditches and dykes - are these all seperate or could we group them all together perhaps as 'water' as origina;;y suggested - then again perhaps there is another category that would embrace them?)

Cheers Doug and thanks for taking the suggestion seriously.

Best

Robert
csurry
12 9.2k 92
19 Aug 2008 10:13PM
I think they are suggesting that if you expand the categories too much then potentially it is never ending Wink

But did it in their own inimitable style!

Whay are seascapes not just another form of landscape?

Should wildlife and nature be a combined category - on and on it can go. Trying to keep it simple has been the principle so far.
User_Removed 9 4.9k England
19 Aug 2008 10:13PM

Quote:if I want to upload an image of a lake or a river all I have is landscape.

Aren't they part of The Landscape....... Would agree with Seascapes.....

Col
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
19 Aug 2008 10:17PM
It's late; I'm tired and starting to relax but, for the infirm of mind, could someone clarify 'DA' and 'DM' please?

( I just know I'm going to regret asking this... Wink )

Smile
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
19 Aug 2008 10:20PM
Paul Indigo was compiling a list of categories - he got LOADS last time I asked! stuff you'd never think of!
Kris_Dutson e2
12 8.2k 1 England
19 Aug 2008 10:20PM

Quote:could someone clarify 'DA' and 'DM' please?

I'm guessing Digital Art and Digitally Manipulated.
csurry
12 9.2k 92
19 Aug 2008 10:21PM

Quote:Paul Indigo was compiling a list of categories - he got LOADS last time I asked! stuff you'd never think of!

Sad Smile

Better to be out photographing rather than thinking up categories to upload your none existent photos in to!
ketch e2
19 Aug 2008 10:23PM
Digital Art and Digitally Manipulated - sorry MIke it is late...

I mean if we make such a fine distinction I would suggest seascapes and landscapes are equally different? Maybe its just me, but they seem pretty different imo

Best

Robert

PS Yes wildlife and nature do seem to be much closer in terms of definition than seascape and landscape imo
Kris_Dutson e2
12 8.2k 1 England
19 Aug 2008 10:26PM
I agree.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
19 Aug 2008 10:28PM
Thanks peeps - I have it now.

zzzzz Wink zzzzzzz
looboss e2
8 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2008 4:59AM
I recently uploaded some very nice cave shots, not really landscape or architecture so can we have an underground category? It felt wrong uploading it to the transport category LOL!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.