Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Can we have some new categories ... Please...

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 Aug 2009 11:05PM

Quote:Night time work, long exposure and light painting are long over due IMO

Quote:its nothing to do with flash and lighting

Would have thought all photography had something to do with lighting Smile

Quote:Strobe work is different from general "flash" work

Is it, its all the same to me

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Diana e2
8 2.0k 19 Netherlands
17 Aug 2009 11:06PM
but night work doesnt use flash lighting
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 Aug 2009 11:08PM
Still uses/needs lighting of some form or other Smile
Diana e2
8 2.0k 19 Netherlands
17 Aug 2009 11:10PM
yes but does not fall into the flash category and sometimes it doesnt for a long exposure ...(thats a silly argument all photogrpahy is about light, and if thats your argument then we only need one category) lighting ....duh!
Krakman 8 3.6k Scotland
17 Aug 2009 11:15PM
If there's to be a separate category for seascapes, what about lakescapes? Or perhaps non-tidal-water-scapes to catch rivers too?

Only if you photograph the river using a high ISO, will that go into the high ISO category, or the non-tidal-water-scapes category?

And what about if you photograph a bit of sea but there's a rock visible in the foreground - will it then become a landscape?
Diana e2
8 2.0k 19 Netherlands
17 Aug 2009 11:17PM
its not even worth arguing the point with this nonsense going on....

night shooting is different .....

can we have intelligence levels too when we upload to by pass all this cr*p!
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 Aug 2009 11:19PM

Quote:Yes but does not fall into the flash category and sometimes it doesnt for a long exposure

I`m guessing that lighting in with flash is referring to hot lights, so that pretty much covers all night photography, street photography at night, painting with light etc.

If a styles not there then just tag.
Krakman 8 3.6k Scotland
17 Aug 2009 11:22PM

Quote:night shooting is different .....

Yes, Dear
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
17 Aug 2009 11:25PM

Quote:I`m guessing that lighting in with flash is referring to hot lights, so that pretty much covers all night photography, street photography at night, painting with light etc.

Exactly. When we set up this group we knew we would have torch light, painting with flash, street light etc. It's the best category for it. It's just being grouped with flash makes people think lighting means studio lighting. It doesn't. Its any form of lights been used to illuminate the subject...but we will be splitting that group into sub category stuff...and you can go very specific using tags now.

Tags are great if use correctly!
Diana e2
8 2.0k 19 Netherlands
17 Aug 2009 11:25PM
no it doesn't use flash

Quote:Tags are great if use correctly!
lol !! Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 Aug 2009 11:37PM

Quote:Tags are great if use correctly!

To the best part yes, it don`t like E3 though Sad

Smile Smile
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
18 Aug 2009 8:02AM

Quote: All it needs currently is for those who shoot strobism (for example) is to put that in the tags, then you have unlimited categories. Searching the gallery for "strobism" currently finds nothing, but for "strobe" there are many "strobism" type shots. You can narrow your art down to the finest degree using tags. They're there - it's up to you all to use them. Categories are actually old school but force a kind of order. Tags are much more flexible, and do work well with our search system. They just need to be used.

You are right Pete, but it relies on the poster to use the Tags - I know, I for one can be guilty of being lazy. If you are searching through the gallery for lets say "strobism" there are no results found, there are a healthy number in Strobist - but it doesn't pick up slight variations in the terms. I also can't seem to find lets say Strobist work that has recieved a EC/HC - more usefull if you are looking at quality work than votes decending - tho I cant search for that either.

On the other site previously mentioned for example in the Stobist group posters are encouraged to take a wide angle shot to show the lighting setup, what light modifications are used power settings etc, great at getting to grips with it. The variations uploads could be used more to encourage this. DaveU used this function on a recent EC to show how he arrived at the final montage, and very informative.
roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
18 Aug 2009 8:29AM
Really!
23 categories with up to three selectable per image arenít enough to categorise an image? Plus a free hand to set your own tags

Are we so keen to define our own work and distance it from others that may sully its genre that we need to blinker our gallery viewing to this extent?
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
18 Aug 2009 9:36AM

Quote:but it relies on the poster to use the Tags - I know, I for one can be guilty of being lazy

Quote:in the Stobist group posters are encouraged to take a wide angle shot to show the lighting setup, what light modifications are used power settings etc

If you're saying our posters are too lazy to put "strobism" in a tag how are we supposed to encourage them to take and upload a second shot to show lighting set up?
Everything that's done there sounds like it could be done here, but in a slightly different way.

May I suggest someone starts a group. Then anyone who decides to join in uploads their shot with strobism as a tag, and after uploading the shot they could add a variation (selecting technique) showing the lighting set up. Bingo...the same result.
andytvcams e2
12 10.4k United Kingdom
18 Aug 2009 10:07AM

Quote:On the other site previously mentioned for example in the Stobist group posters are encouraged to take a wide angle shot to show the lighting setup, what light modifications are used power settings etc, great at getting to grips with it.

Horses for courses Nick.
I probably spend 60% of my internet time now on the strobist site and gallery's.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.