Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Can we have some new categories ... Please...

SteveCharles 12 2.3k 18 England
18 Aug 2009 10:14AM

Quote:23 categories with up to three selectable per image aren’t enough to categorise an image?

Depends what you're shooting, in some cases not. I really struggle to categorise some of mine, but maybe that comes down to my interpretation of a category.

If you photograph models in a studio, you have a wealth of options - fine art nude, nude/glamour, portraits/people, flash/lighting etc. Whereas anything involving the built environment is architecture, and that's it.

To use one of my own as an example, this series is one I found hard to classify. To me, it's documentary, but not photojournalism (I think there's a difference), it includes buildings but it's not really architecture, and so on. OK, it's a bit leftfield by EPZ standards, and I sound picky, but I think with increased membership and diversity of material there needs to be finer classification. Not everyone shoots standard landscapes, nudes & wildlife.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
18 Aug 2009 10:54AM
Personally Steve I think the categories you’ve chosen are fine and suit well.
You could have added General as a third option

You may have struggled for definition as this you are attempting to define a series of photographs which is a feature not readily supported on the site except through the ‘Version’ application
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
18 Aug 2009 11:52AM

Quote:May I suggest someone starts a group. Then anyone who decides to join in uploads their shot with strobism as a tag, and after uploading the shot they could add a variation (selecting technique) showing the lighting set up. Bingo...the same result

That`s cool, might go out and take pics of intruder alarms that have been set off, loads each night round by me Smile
ketch e2
7 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
18 Aug 2009 1:34PM
If all these arguments are sound then why oh why have we just introduced Street Photography??? Its just as easy to tag and search so I just don't buy that argument at all. I go back to the original posting for this thread and I would say it is clear that there are two important categories missing - blindingly obvious that they are missing in my opinion. They don't fit any other category apart from general - but everything fits general. It is an absolute nonsense that nightime and maritime/waterscapes are missing imho.

If we have 23 categories we can easily have a nice round 25 categories.

The campaign continues!

Best wishes

Robert
Diana e2
8 2.0k 19 Netherlands
18 Aug 2009 1:41PM
yeah why was street photography aded as a category then that is an interesting question
18 Aug 2009 1:49PM
Because we pinned Pete down and threatened to steal his dinner money if it wasn't...

It was added during the course of this thread . A few of us were moaning about the lack of decent street photography, and lo and behold it appeared...
ketch e2
7 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
18 Aug 2009 1:52PM
Ok so there are a few of us moaning about the lack of two other imprtant categories so lo and behold they ...

How much dinner money was he carrying?

Cheers

Robert
miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2009 2:24PM
I actually feel there are too many categories and they should be reduced with more use of Tags.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
18 Aug 2009 2:58PM

Quote:I actually feel there are too many categories and they should be reduced with more use of Tags.

I too have felt this - for a very long time!

Fewer, but more comprehensively described (or conversely more generic), categories would be better.
18 Aug 2009 3:39PM
OK, just been having a play with searching by tags. I will put my hands up and admit that I haven't been the best at tagging my photos, and obviously for it to work well it requires the input of the members. Something I need to put more effort into.

If you would rather people searched by tags than categories, then I feel it needs to be more obvious that it can be done. If you go on to the gallery page, there is no mention that I can see of the ability to search by tags, only by category. You can indeed type a word into the search box, and it works well, but it's not that obvious or highlighting the tag feature.
Diana e2
8 2.0k 19 Netherlands
18 Aug 2009 4:08PM
so why is street 'togging more important than night work
that it gets its own category ?
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2009 4:11PM
I dont think its a question of importance as such, street photography gets a category because it is a genre whereas night photography is a technique.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
18 Aug 2009 4:15PM
May I suggest to have categories for Morning Photography, Afternoon Photography, Teatime Photography, and Evening Photography as well? Please?
Smile
Diana e2
8 2.0k 19 Netherlands
18 Aug 2009 4:22PM
ha bl**dy ha !!!
fauxtography 9 6.6k 36
18 Aug 2009 4:29PM

Quote:Ha bl**dy ha !!!

Now that's a funny category request....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.