Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Can you tell me any good cameras that aren't too expensive...

RuthTimms 6 3 England
2 Sep 2008 11:35AM
I need a new camera, I'm only a begginer. Something reliable and good quality, but I'm on the budget of a 14 year old girl, who doesn't have a job, and gets pocket money from Daddy, once a month.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

irishman 10 1.1k 2 Ireland
2 Sep 2008 11:43AM
Hi Ruth, have a look here , where you can select a camera that will suit your needs.

And then when you have picked your camera go here where you can get the best price for it.

My choice would either be a Canon Ixus or Panasonic TZ3 if you were to choose a compact camera or a Nikon D40 if you choose the DSLR route.
2 Sep 2008 11:47AM
Hi Ruth! You don't say if you are looking for a film or digital camera. Either way you might want to try and get a secondhand one that's better than what you have at the moment and fits your budget.

Good luck with this and look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.
cathal 10 492 4 Ireland
2 Sep 2008 11:53AM
Hello Ruth, and welcome to ePZ!

I've had a quick look at your portfolio and enjoyed your work. I think you do have a flair for photography, and you will derive great benefit from the site.

Moving to your specific question, can you put a figure on your budget? That would help know where to place things and without that I can only give general advice. So here goes!

Years ago, the routine advice would have been a manual 35mm SLR with a 50mm standard lens. Quite a lot of us cut our teeth that way, and I still think it is the best way, but we are in the digital age now. I would say a dSLR with a standard prime lens, or short zoom lens.

There are some great deals available on new outfits today, but it all depends on your budget. Equally, don't be afraid to look for second hand equipment. A lot of people upgrade once the next new model comes out, and the used value of even professional cameras is very low!

Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony? Don't get caught up in that. They all make good models. Ensure you have MANUAL exposure control, and the ability to shoot in RAW format. THen find the best model that fits you personally, both ergonomically and financially.

Once you know how much you have to spend, we can give a bit more advice.
RuthTimms 6 3 England
2 Sep 2008 12:03PM
Thanks guy, I have a lot to think about. The camera I have at the moment, by the way, is a Kodak easyshare, was about 80. LOl... so yh.
mikesavage 12 248 2 England
2 Sep 2008 4:45PM
Assuming it's a digital camera you're looking for, there are quite a few digital zoom compacts under 100 from Casio, Samsung & Fuji etc that have a lot of features & should be OK for prints up to A4.

You need to decide in what way your existing Kodak camera isn't good enough & make sure you get a camera that will improve upon it.
steve_p 9 1.1k England
2 Sep 2008 8:41PM
There are quite a few digital compacts about now, which offer good performance and value for money. Panasonic FS3 and Nikon Coolpix S210 from Jessops !! these are good ones at around the 100 mark,
Look out for Li-ion batteries rather than AA types= these will give you better shots per recharge, and are a fair bit smaller.
Aim for about 8 mega pixels and you should not suffer from noise at higher ISO settings.
Steve
smitbar 6 133 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2008 9:58PM

Quote:.... and gets pocket money from Daddy, once a month.

The skinflint! He should give you it once a week!........
Only kidding, if i had a 14yr old daughter who take's photo's like you do..., i would buy her a very decent camera.
"Bend his arm" & pester him into buying U an entry level DSLR, and show him this thread on the forum.
Keep "Togging" and enjoy..
cameraboy Junior Member 7 10 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2008 10:22PM
Hallo Ruth - I use free FILM cameras - I was given several from people whose releatives had died - I have got a Yashica LM44,an Olympus OM2n,an Olympus XA2 and a Konica relflex ( the man was still alive when he gave it to me! )You can get lots of FREE cameras if you use film!
samfurlong 8 2.5k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2008 11:40AM
As cameraboy said, film cameras might be the way to go as you can pick up a good manual model like an Olympus OM series or Canon A series for well under 100. Film and processing costs will be a factor though!

I would probably get a secondhand DSLR. Ones to look out for are the Canon 10D / 20D (about 200 ish with a kit lens). Or if you do a bit of arm twisting get the parents to help you out and get a slightly more up to date 30D (350 ish with kit lens).
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2008 11:46AM
Beware of buying a film camera if you are on a tight budget. You could easily find yourself not able to use it because you can't afford the processing.

Depending on how seriously you want to get into photography a compact digital or a used DSLR are your choices. There are some seriously good compacts for around 100 these days and a used DSLR with lens(es) should be available for around 200 if you search around.

My recommendation would be to decide what type of photography you want to do and therefore what kind of camera, then go to a good camera shop to handle all the cameras that match your brief.

Have fun.

Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.