Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Can you use manaul override with a 70-300mm f4-5.6 SP Di VC USD Lens?

John_7 e2
1 2 United Kingdom
19 Apr 2013 12:34PM
I have just bought a 70-300mm f4-5.6 SP Di VC USD Lens and am confused over using manual focusing override when in automatic mode. The instructions say you can make fine tuning in automatic mode BUT then say interfering with the focusing ring may cause serious damage when in AF mode. I am a bit lost can someone advise me what you can safely do with the focusing with the lenses?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LesJD e2
2 152 Wales
19 Apr 2013 12:49PM
I have that lens and it's perfectly safe to use the full time manual focusing facility.Only problem is that if you use the shutter button to focus then fine tune manually it will override your fine tuning. Solution ? use BBF ( back button focus ).
Here's a link for BBF with Canon Cameras.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml
John_7 e2
1 2 United Kingdom
19 Apr 2013 1:35PM
Thanks for that
John
John_7 e2
1 2 United Kingdom
19 Apr 2013 2:33PM
One thing I wonder is with the auto focus working with my 100m macro I can keep the exposure button 1/2 depressed and change the focus with no problem Are you also able to do this with the 70-300?
NDODS e2
4 3.7k 107 United Kingdom
6 May 2013 9:07PM
Being a wonderfully satisfied Tamron user for many years and a great fan of their cost affordable and high performance products. The answer to your question is a 'YES' this is so with the entire range, although I would not recommend it that often as you to get a slight clunking sound in the gear mechanisms which because of their lightweight build do tend to wear quiet significantly over a period of prolonged use or abuse...

Regards Nathan

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.