Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cancel it

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95930 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 10:46 PM

waste of money

and spend the money on schools and hospitals

Does it matter if you can get from Birmingham to London twenty minutes earlier - not really

Why don't they come clean and admit that the current rail network is overloaded

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Nov 2012 - 10:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315605 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 10:51 PM

Have you ever travelled using the current line ?

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95930 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 11:13 PM

Quote: Have you ever travelled using the current line ?

No I haven't Paul but....

Quote:

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315605 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 11:23 PM

Yes its really bad.

I`ve never travelled London/Birmingham, always Reading/Birmingham and that`s bad enough.

This new line is at least 40 years over due Smile

thewilliam
17 Nov 2012 - 11:48 PM

Quote: waste of money

Does it matter if you can get from Birmingham to London twenty minutes earlier - not really

State schools and public hospitals are purely for the benefit the peasantry. "Our people" send their offspring to proper schools and medical treatment would always be done privately. This is the real waste of public money and leaves less for tax cuts so the disgrace that's the 50p rate of income tax might not be abolished.

The HS2 will allow "our people" to get to Birmingham a little quicker so is far more worthwhile. What puzzles me is why anyone would want to go there: it's north of Watford for heaven's sake.

The really worthwhile development is the proposed "third class" where passengers will be standing all the way and in the future will probably ride in cattle trucks. Wink WinkWinkWink

Last Modified By thewilliam at 17 Nov 2012 - 11:50 PM
joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
18 Nov 2012 - 7:54 AM

Quote: Does it matter if you can get from Birmingham to London twenty minutes earlier - not really

Ermm, isn't that why they're trying to provide extra capacity in the form of HS2? And even that is just a drop in the proverbial of what's needed.

Trouble is, people want extra capacity but don't want to pay for it or to have new railway lines built near them.

Last Modified By joolsb at 18 Nov 2012 - 7:57 AM
redsnappa
redsnappa  121923 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Nov 2012 - 8:49 AM

Don't forget when HS2 is in operation the fares will be above and beyond what many of the lower classes can afford, the real reason HS2 is being built is so the well off do not have to travel on old overcrowded rolling stock with the riff raff.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315604 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Nov 2012 - 9:37 AM

Why do people need to travel so much? You could put high speed internet into every home for a fraction of the cost of HS2, so a lot of work could be done by video conf.

dcash29
dcash29  91914 forum posts England
18 Nov 2012 - 9:39 AM

Quote: waste of money

It is a waste of money, friends of mine have no trouble commuting and what about the take-up of our greenbelt land. Although i'm not one believing that it should go to the schools and hospitals.

Government and Councils have wasted millions in knocking down and rebuilding leaving us all in debt and not improving the service.

Last Modified By dcash29 at 18 Nov 2012 - 9:40 AM
tomcat
18 Nov 2012 - 9:46 AM

Quote: Why do people need to travel so much? You could put high speed internet into every home for a fraction of the cost of HS2, so a lot of work could be done by video conf.

Something I have often thought about BriSmile

The same goes for air travel and the constant need for additional airports or runways

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
18 Nov 2012 - 9:52 AM

Quote: Why do people need to travel so much? You could put high speed internet into every home for a fraction of the cost of HS2, so a lot of work could be done by video conf.

Oh, how I wish every boss thinks like that, save me 2 hours everyday and plenty of money for petrol.

User_Removed
18 Nov 2012 - 10:26 AM

Why should the Tax payer, pay millions of pounds every year to private rail company's to make fat cats richer and laugh all the way to the bank.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
18 Nov 2012 - 10:34 AM

Quote: Don't forget when HS2 is in operation the fares will be above and beyond what many of the lower classes can afford, the real reason HS2 is being built is so the well off do not have to travel on old overcrowded rolling stock with the riff raff.

So you don't think that fewer trains on the existing line might lead to a better service for all, then?

collywobles
18 Nov 2012 - 10:59 AM

They said all this when the M1 was first proposed and also when Heathrow was proposed to become an International Airport. I also remember it also being said about the Eurostar Railway Line Dover to London. Now we couldn't do without them. Projects like this must be seen with the long term view, I remember it used to take me 11 hours to drive to Cornwall now I can do it 3-4 - its about progress!

Quote: the real reason HS2 is being built is so the well off do not have to travel on old overcrowded rolling stock with the riff raff.

ARE YOU SERIOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315604 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Nov 2012 - 11:18 AM

Quote: They said all this when the M1 was first proposed

I doubt they mentioned high speed internet or video conferencing......

Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.