Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cannot save for web.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ckristoff
ckristoff  10938 forum posts Wales
15 Jun 2011 - 9:18 PM

Hello Friends,
I have a dilemna with images I wish to send to family abroad via email attachment. The software I have, is the original Photoshop CS version 8.

Last week my son got married. Myself as well as other family members, took images with my camera. It was a great day.

My wife and I went away for a week's break to London, and have recently returned home.

Last night, I decided to look at some images in DPP, before going to Photoshop. My images were all taken as large jpegs, although I normally use Raw. I didn't do any adjustments in DPP, simply convert & save them from DPP as jpegs, in order to open them in Photoshop. In Photoshop, I do as I normally do, just click any automatic function I can find. Next I resize the image exactly as I would do for Ephotozine. When I try to save for web - I got this error message -

" Could not complete the export command because of a program error."

Is my software bust? Have I missed something?

I would be extremely grateful if someone could shed light on what I'm doing wrong.

I'll logon tomorrow night, as I got an early start tomorrow for work.

Thank you, Frank.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Jun 2011 - 9:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2011 - 11:14 PM

This may help: Photoshop failing to save to web

ckristoff
16 Jun 2011 - 7:50 PM

Hello GlennH,

thank you very much for your reply.

There's simply no chance that I could have figured that out by myself!!Grin I'll try to solve my little problem, tomorrow after work. Thank you once again - EPZ simply rules!!

Frank.

ckristoff
18 Jun 2011 - 9:26 PM

Hello Glenn,

can you help me once more please?

I printed off your linked information. Now I'm stuck about what to do next. Here's where I am - I've tried the search box on the desktop and that didn't work. Then I googled the link information, and I still don't know what to do!Smile

Not only am I an idiot with photoshop, I'm also completely clueless with computer nonsense! Heck, I don't even text.Grin

By the way, I looked in my photoshop CS, and I'm still no better off. I may be only 54 years ( pathetically old ), but I only started doing this stuff about 8 years ago. Before that, I spent decades chained to the grocery shop floor.Tongue

Frank.Grin

GlennH
18 Jun 2011 - 10:37 PM

I barely text either Frank, other than extremely slowly. A confirmed mobile phone luddite, me.

I have an easier solution for you, rather than digging around for files. This should work for anything earlier than CS5:

1) Open a web-sized JPEG in Photoshop
2) Hold down the 'CTRL' and 'ALT' keys simultaneously and keep them held down
3) Hover your mouse cursor over the 'File' menu in Photoshop (top left), left click on your mouse and hold that down as well (you should still have CTRL and ALT keys held down at the same time)
4) With CTRL, ALT, and left-button of mouse all held down, select 'Save for Web & Devices' from the ''File' menu, and then release the button on the mouse
5) You should then get a message asking you if you want to erase preferences from save for web - which you do

Alternatively, you can manually delete the file from the following locations according to your operating system:

Windows XP: c:\Documents and Settings\~username\Application Data\Adobe\Save for Web\8.0\ (\9.0\ for CS2... up to 12.0 for CS5)

Windows Vista or Windows 7: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Save for Web\12.0\Adobe Save for Web 12.0 Prefs

Glenn Smile

ckristoff
22 Jun 2011 - 6:33 PM

Hello Glenn,

sorry, it's me again, I suppose I'm completely dim!

I tried your first suggestion, but I'm afraid on my version of CS ( the first one ) I cannot find " & Devices ".

As for your second suggestion, I tried typing in the info you supplied, but I still had no joy.

Would it be worth my while deleting photoshop and loading it again?

Frank.

GlennH
22 Jun 2011 - 7:36 PM

Hello Frank,

First suggestion - Adobe often change the names of things between different versions of Photshop, so anything with 'save for web' in it from the file menu should work. I tried this out with CS3, and it should also be possible with CS.

Second suggestion - these are paths, or 'directions' if you like. For example, assuming you might be running a Windows PC, if Windows XP was your operating system you'd click on 'My Computer', followed by the 'C' drive (Local Disk: C), followed by the documents and settings folder, followed by your own username (possibly 'Frank'?), followed by Application Data, etc, etc, etc. It's basically a series of clicks to get you to the right folder or file.

Alternatively you could use the search facility on your PC and type in 'save for web prefs'. That should find you the correct file. Then you'd right-click on the file (for example: Save for Web 12.0 Prefs), and select 'open file location' or something similarly named. Then delete that file.

gaelldew
gaelldew  7270 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Jun 2011 - 2:39 PM

Doesnt it have " Save " and " Save as " in that version ( dont know yours I started with cs3) because you really dont need " save for web " to send your photographs, as for being 54 you have a long way to catch me up. LOL.

rhousham
rhousham  7432 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Jun 2011 - 7:03 PM

You can try and reset photoshop by pressing Alt, Ctrl, and Shift when starting photoshop.
Aside from that I'm stuck.
Richard

ckristoff
24 Jun 2011 - 7:08 AM

FRiends,

thank you very much for your advice.

Rhousham, I've only just seen your post, and I'm off to work soon.

I feel like a complete twit - I'm trying hard to understand what you're telling me, but it appears my pc isn't taking part. I'm running Windows 7 home premium, my CS is the first one, which would otherwise be known as photoshop 8.

My last resort would be to do away with my CS and try to concentrate on paintshop pro X2, I believe I have.

Frank.

ckristoff
26 Jun 2011 - 1:26 PM

Hello Rhousham,

I've tried your suggestion and it appears to have made no difference.

The way things stand, I won't be able to upload any more photos to my Ephotozine account.Tongue

Frank.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139433 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2011 - 1:33 PM

Quote: The way things stand, I won't be able to upload any more photos to my Ephotozine account

Really? You mean you can't save to JPEG at all?

ckristoff
26 Jun 2011 - 1:39 PM

Hello Carabosse,

I just tried to save an image on the resizing function, and jpeg wasn't listed. Tried once more to save for web and that won't happen at all.

If I can find my original disc, would it worth my while, deleting photoshop and re-loading it again? Otherwise I'll have to rely on Painshop Pro X2.

FRank.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139433 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2011 - 1:43 PM

Try saving it as a TIFF or bitmap (BMP) file. Then open the TIFF or BMP file and see if you can save it as a JPEG. Don't bother about saving for web, right now. It's not essential... all that does is strip out the EXIF info.

ckristoff
26 Jun 2011 - 1:46 PM

Carabosse,

thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. I'll try to do that.

What if I want to upload an image to EPZ and the file is too large? Would it be possible to enter the file size I need, when I'm in the resize function?

Sorry to appear dim - it's just that I am.Smile

FRank.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.