Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

canon ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    youmightlikethis
    youmightlikethis e2 Member 121011 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
    16 Feb 2012 - 5:22 AM

is the canon 600d a better camera than 550d and a much lesser camera than 60d [the reason i ask having a tough choice between getting 600d or nikon d 51 the nikon seems the better choice i have 550d and 60d i could get 600d body as i have canon lenses but having the other two canons would it be a waste of money have considered sony a 65 but not keen on slt and pentax but keep coming back to c v n

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Feb 2012 - 5:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Graysta
    Graysta  91134 forum posts England
    16 Feb 2012 - 6:43 AM

Unless you have a need to spend a shed load of money on Nikon lenses you would be well advised to stick on the canon road. as to which canon I could not advise as i am a Nikon user but they will all be good. I would say look at the features of the camera's you have shortlisted and then look at what you want to do with them, make your comparison from that it should make the chioce a little clearer.If you apply the general rule that the more expensive the model is the better in theory it should be. BUT if has feature's you wont use it's a waste of the extra cash.

mikehit
    mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 9:21 AM

I am puzzled by your logic - you want a third camera but are thinking about the Nikon D51 because you already have 2 similar Canon cameras?
    Does the D51 do anything that the 600D does not? If I were in your shoes the differences should be quite significant to justify buying a whole new set of lenses etc.

But to answer your question more directly: the 600D is a better camera (feature-wise) but has often been referred to as a tweaked 550D with the movable LCD being the biggest upgrade. Because of the similarities, I have not been convinced on reading reviews that it is worthwhile upgrading from 550D to 600D (unless you need the movable LCD, of course).
    I have not tried the 60D but I do have the 7D and my wife has the 600D. Image quality is equal in both (they, and the 60D use the same sensor and processing engine), and if I did not want the AF of the 7D I would be hard pushed to justify it over the 600D - having said that if I did not need the 7D AF I would have got the 60D because I prefer the dual-wheel controls.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 11:36 AM

Coming from a Nikon shooter, I'd say stick with one brand or the other, Mixing brands is an expensive hobby, All the cameras you mention are good, All have particular differences and prices, But at the end of the day there is no real world difference or advantages between them, We use Canon & Nikon cameras, If we where to start again from scratch we would probably go with one brand or the other as we find little to no advantages in one or the other, There is no such thing as Canon Versus Nikon, Thats a load of " Rubbish....Grin

We see it as Nikon " OR " Canon, Followed by the rest......Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 16 Feb 2012 - 11:37 AM
    ChrisV
    ChrisV  7771 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 11:45 AM

I'd echo what others have said. I moved from Nikon to Canon a couple of years back [long story] and I think they're about on a par overall. Don't divide your resources - lenses are at least as important to your kit as bodies and you don't want to be doubling up on similar lenses that won't fit all your cameras.

Unless you have a burning need for the 600D's articulating LCD I don't think you'd see any advantage over the 550d which has basically the same sensor and imaging engine. In your position with 600 to burn I think I'd be looking at what lens might be useful for your Canon kit...

alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10528 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 12:28 PM

I went to a Canon event in 2010 with a number of well known guys there including Ben Osbourne. When asked about which to invest in - Glass or Camera - they all said Glass. Lenses have longer life than the electronics in a camera. When we shot film each film was about 10 a pop to buy and process and bodies wore out with prolonged use. We no longer have to buy film so they said they looked on the bodies as the "film" cost of their lives. That is bodies are replaceable, but lenses should endure.

Unless your current bodies are very old or damaged you will be better to buy a better lens and wait until there is a significant upgrade in the bodies.

I agree with everyone else - why would you bother to buy a Nikon when you already have Canon lenses? My guess is you'd soon find that you'd never carry it because you'd only have the one lens for it. If you only ever use your standard lens then you should probably sell the lot and buy the new Canon Gx.

Alan

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 12:41 PM

As a 60D user - i love its dual dial controls and the top LCD. I don't think the 550/600D have these.
    As well as preserving your lens investment, your software is i think an extra purchase with Nikon.

Instead of buying new nikon lenses - spend the money on 60D not a 600D.

my 2p

adrian_w
    adrian_w e2 Member 73309 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 2:47 PM

I think, reading the somewhat breathless OP post, that he already has a 550D & 60D. What I can't work out is why he would go for another body intermediate between those 2? The 600D is only a small step up from the 550D & inferior to the 60D, which is a fine camera.
    Certainly it makes no sense to buy a Nikon as well, as others have said use the money for better Canon lenses.

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64380 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 2:47 PM

Quote: As a 60D user - i love its dual dial controls and the top LCD. I don't think the 550/600D have these.
    As well as preserving your lens investment, your software is i think an extra purchase with Nikon. Instead of buying new nikon lenses - spend the money on 60D not a 600D.my 2p

I'll add my 2p to that too. Smile

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014714 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 6:26 PM

I have a 600D, and I really like it's versatility, in particular, the articulating very high res LCD monitor. I never used the top LCD on cameras of mine which had one. The dual dial feature on the 60D is convenient, but I don't miss it on the 600D. What I would consider the most significant difference is the speed in RAW continuous shooting, if you require it; the 600D is relatively slow. However, what I consider the good point of the 600D for me, is it's size and weight for an old guy.Wink

779HOB
    779HOB  21019 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Feb 2012 - 6:33 PM

Well Nikon are clearly better but now you have made the choice to tread the Canon path I would stick with them and as said spend the money on good quality Canon lenses, or as good as you can get limited by the Canon badge! Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.