Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

CANON - EOS 500d - Review

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ThomasZ
    ThomasZ  3
    8 Feb 2011 - 11:42 PM

A beautiful camera for the SLR beginner, previously a mid-range SLR. It is still a serious piece of equipment that has won yet another award (2011). With 15.1 megapixels at your fingertips and great low light responsiveness, it is a pleasure to shoot photos with. The standard kit lens is ok but even a slightly more expensive lens shows a vast improvement in quality. I have not spent thousands on the top Canon lenses but the mid-range lenses give some nice results. Manual settings are the best, by far, especially when shooting in low light conditions. The camera does tend to set itself to high ISO settings at the first sign of low light. There is, however, an option to limit it to a maximum ISO setting. When taking photos in very bright sunlight, overexposure can be a problem with regards to light coloured stone etc. This is where it is most essential to use manual exposure or to, at least, shoot in the CR2 (Canon's equivalent to RAW) setting. This will mean that you can use the included software to adjust the exposure afterwards too. It really is a great camera but it is really great when you learn how to use it and get to know its personality. It is definitely a good camera to get if you cannot yet afford the increasing in price Canon EOS Mark II. With the more expensive lenses, it may even prove to be eve better.

(link removed by epz)

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 9 Feb 2011 - 9:11 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Feb 2011 - 11:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Feb 2011 - 11:46 PM

Other cameras are also available.

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122191 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Feb 2011 - 7:26 AM

Have Canon lowered themselves to spamming? Wink

nsutcliffe
    9 Feb 2011 - 7:42 AM

I'm confused.com! What is this all about?

AlanPerkins
    9 Feb 2011 - 8:25 AM

Bet he's got one for sale Wink

Last Modified By AlanPerkins at 9 Feb 2011 - 8:25 AM
    strawman
    strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Feb 2011 - 9:33 AM

Nah I think he was trying to raise the number of hits to his Blog.

born2bongo
    born2bongo e2 Member 529 forum postsborn2bongo vcard England
    9 Feb 2011 - 12:48 PM

Great gallery though. I love minimalist stuff. Added him as a favourite Grin

ThomasZ
    ThomasZ  3
    9 Feb 2011 - 4:38 PM

It would be nice to work for Canon because then I might be able to get heavily-discounted lenses. Perhaps a nice L series lens for half the price? I have also used Fujifilm, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Konica, Minolta, Konica Minolta, Trust and many more. Smile Canon is where I ended up for SLRs because I found the layout of the menus of Nikons to be illogical and impractical when you were in a rush to take a photo...... especially with the heavily-acclaimed D90. Fujifilm F-Series cameras are nice as compact cameras and I would choose them for that category, as well as Canon compacts. Also, Fujinon lenses, as used by many High-Definition video cameras in the film industry, will soon dominate the cheap and high quality still camera lens market. They are a very innovative company that I believe introduced face recognition technology. Smile

ThomasZ
    ThomasZ  3
    9 Feb 2011 - 4:45 PM

p.s. Thank you 'born2bongo' for the appreciation. It is too bad that they removed the link. I am sure that there was nothing in the terms and conditions about posting links :s It was just easier to link to my site as it was already watermarked and I have had my photos appearing elsewhere before.... I like your photos as well: you managed to find some really interesting subjects and locations. The ship on the beach was a very nice one: I could find one of those in the past before Dunich fell into the sea.... Nicely done...

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.