Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon 100D - all it's cracked up to be?

KingBee e2
8 399 2 Scotland
7 Dec 2013 11:28AM
Having been sold for some time on the relative merits of M4/3 I never thought I'd ever consider buying another DSLR. However, I have a Canon 28mm f2.8 prime (currently sitting on a 350D, which I plan to sell) which is far too good a lens to get rid of just because I will soon not have a body for it. (I also have a 40D but that's currently paired with a 17-40L, a weighty combination which these days I'm less inclined to favour, and which may also find itself on eBay soon.)

I'm taken with the Canon EOS100D with which I could pair the 28mm. The camera has received some excellent reviews, and its size, feel, weight and general physical characteristics are very similar to my Panasonic G3, but the 100D would have the advantage of the bigger sensor and presumably better quality images overall. I do not have large hands so the small size wouldn't bother me. Indeed, having handled the camera it fits my paws just wonderfully.

Anybody using one (ie, a 100D) and care to comment?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

7 Dec 2013 11:37AM
get the 70d its good
LesJD e2
2 152 Wales
7 Dec 2013 11:41AM
I don't own the 100d but the image quality should be every bit as good my 650d and probably a stop better high ISO than your 40d, the touch screen is excellent too. Having said that I did try handling one in Currys but I found it too small and awkward and I don't have large hands. My best advice would be to try handling the camera before making a purchase.
KingBee e2
8 399 2 Scotland
7 Dec 2013 11:50AM

Quote:get the 70d its good

I'm sure it is, but I really wanted something small, for actually not a lot of money. John Lewis are selling the 100D with 18-55 kit lens for 439. The body is going for 419 - which, although I don't need the kit lens, makes buying the kit a no-brainer! I have handled the camera and was happy with it.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
7 Dec 2013 12:00PM
You could read the EPZ review I had my hands on one a while ago and the only comments I can make on it was it felt very plasticky and because of this it might not prove so durable in the long term, but only time will tell I guess on that front. It did feel very small in my fat hands, but you're probably aware of this. Image quality etc was very good from the results I saw, but it seemed to be a very capable performer for the money asked for it.
ChiliMan e2
8 135 17 Singapore
7 Dec 2013 12:04PM
Have you considered getting the mirrorless EOS M? It's much smaller than an SLR and it's got an APS-C sensor. I don't know much else about it but you could Google it to find out more if this sounds like a viable option.

Andrew
ChiliMan e2
8 135 17 Singapore
7 Dec 2013 12:07PM
Oops...sorry...didn't even address your query on the 100D Blush

I was just thinking of a small and light body for your 28mm and the EOS M sprung to mind.
7 Dec 2013 12:37PM
I'd second the EOS M suggestion. With the 22mm prime (a great lens) and EOS adapter it's about the same price as the 100D with kit lens. I have one and haven't used my 50D since I got it.
lenocm 1 3 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2013 5:47PM
The EOS-M is a little gem, particularly with the EF-M 11-22mm wide angle lens which, I believe, is the only lens in its class to have Image Stabilisation. However, if you're looking for a very small camera with which to use EF or EF-S lenses, I'd definitely go with the EOS 100D. I do have both cameras and, of course, the "M" doesn't have a viewfinder with the usual problem of composing in bright sunlight.
KingBee e2
8 399 2 Scotland
7 Dec 2013 6:23PM
Hmmmm, EOS-M. Yes, I did think about that, but to be honest I get pretty frustrated with cameras that don't have a viewfinder - even although I dearly love my Panasonic GF1 and LX3, as lenocm points out they're absolute sods to use in bright sunlight. Besides, to use my (image-stabilised) 28mm prime (or any other EF/EF-S lens) I'd need an adapter. Nah, I like the look and feel of the 100D, and when it comes to image quality the 100D knocks the socks of many in its class and is at least as good as the 700D (uses the same sensor, I think, and both are 18Mp jobs).

Appreciate all the input thus far - it's very helpful. However, I was really looking for views from 100D users, so lenocm's input is particularly valuable at this stage. If anyone else wants to throw in a thought, feel free.
lenocm 1 3 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2013 7:41PM
What are your reservations if, like me, you like its diminutive size? It does use the same smaller battery as the EOS-M so, if you're likely to take a lot of pics in a session, it might be necessary to carry a spare. The touch screen is only active if you press the "Q" button, go into the menus or are in playback mode, so you cannot alter settings accidentally by touching it (unlike the EOS-M). If you have any really big lenses, it might seem a bit unbalanced when compared to the same lens on a full sized SLR. Personally, I really like it. Smile
KingBee e2
8 399 2 Scotland
7 Dec 2013 8:59PM

Quote:What are your reservations if, like me, you like its diminutive size?

You know, I don't really have any! As far as I can see from all the reviews I've read, the 100D ticks all the boxes for what I need/want the camera to do - that is, it's a wonderfully small package with enough features keep me happy, easily transportable, light, and capable of producing high-quality images (accepting that Raw files are going to hit the 20Mb mark). The fact that, like my three Panasonics, it uses SD cards is something of a bonus. I think pairing it with an image-stabilised quality prime such as the Canon 28mm, thereby almost emulating the classic SLR/50mm lens combination of my film days, will produce a marriage made in heaven. What else is there to hope for? Wink
ChiliMan e2
8 135 17 Singapore
8 Dec 2013 9:10AM

Quote:You know, I don't really have any! As far as I can see from all the reviews I've read, the 100D ticks all the boxes for what I need/want the camera to do - that is, it's a wonderfully small package with enough features keep me happy, easily transportable, light, and capable of producing high-quality images (accepting that Raw files are going to hit the 20Mb mark). The fact that, like my three Panasonics, it uses SD cards is something of a bonus. I think pairing it with an image-stabilised quality prime such as the Canon 28mm, thereby almost emulating the classic SLR/50mm lens combination of my film days, will produce a marriage made in heaven. What else is there to hope for? Wink

Definitely sounds like the 100D is the one for you.

Good point you made earlier about no viewfinder on the M. I've never used a DSLR and the highest I've reached is my E-PL3 which is of course viewfinderless. The sunlight point is definitely a significant one. Fortunately the screen can flip out a bit so I can angle it to make it more viewable. BUT, the image always looks darker on the LCD in bright sunlight. When I review the pic in the shade, it's brighter than what I saw in the open. Unfortunately the EVF is too pricey for me. But I'm happy with my cam for now Smile

Enjoy the 100D Smile I just Googled it and sounds pretty good!
KingBee e2
8 399 2 Scotland
8 Dec 2013 9:36AM
Thanks Chiliman. Sounds to me like you may be interested in a 100D yourself ......... Wink
ChiliMan e2
8 135 17 Singapore
8 Dec 2013 9:45AM
Lol...can't see myself upgrading anytime soon. I'm still having lots of fun with my E-PL3 Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.