Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 100mm EF f2.8 L IS Macro lens with 5D & 7D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    grahamab
    grahamab  8183 forum posts England
    6 Aug 2011 - 7:19 PM

Loving the images with my 5D and said lens....however cannot say the same when on the 7D not even in the same league......
    The 5D sharpness and clarity is so much better, the results with the 7D are just....soft, disappointing, however with other lenses its a great lens, especially for sports.

Is there a way of checking calibration between the lens and the body ?

Loving the lens very pleased I went for that one for the Macro and IS, and its super sharpness for all round shooting, (Shot a family group with it and loved the quality this lens produces)

I want to use this on both bodies and I feel the IQ on the 7d should be almost equal to the 5d.

Any thoughts or comments ?

Cheers

Graham

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Aug 2011 - 7:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    6 Aug 2011 - 7:53 PM

No problem on my 7D. Have you tried any micro adjustments?

RFCat
    RFCat  9 Australia
    7 Aug 2011 - 6:36 AM

I have the 7D and the 100 2.8 L macro. When I first brought it home everything was soft, focus was terrible and the camera thought it was a 24mm lens when I attached a flash.

Lens nearly went back the following day, but being an adventurous sole I started on investigating the 7D menus. Reset the flash (EX 580 II) from the camera menu, then bingo sharp photos and the focus worked correctly with or without the flash attached.

Love the lens.

Ian

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Aug 2011 - 12:40 PM

Micro adjust will only affect the calibration of the AF with the specific camera body, if manual focused test shots (45degree angle onto a subject) still show that the sharpest point is softer than ideal then micro adjust won't be able to change that.

It sounds like your 100mm macro is slightly out of sync with your 7D camera body, a result of manufacture tolerances. As such you've a few options to consider for a possible solution:

1) Send the lens back and get another copy, hoping that it has a better tolerance in line with both your 7D and 5D

2) Send your lens, with test shot examples and full details, to canon for recalibration - this is again somewhat hit and miss (since there likely won't be anything "wrong" with the lens).

3) Send your lens with the 7D for recalibration - can be done under warranty however runs the risk that you get the lens back and find that its perfect on the 7D, but no longer good on the 5D.

4) Send your full setup into canon for recalibration - lenses and bodies. Unfortunately whilst the recalibration of the 100mm would be under warranty the recalibration of your whole setup likely won't be so it will have to come out of your own pocket. The bonus here is that you will get your setup calibrated fully so each lens should work perfectly on each body.

Personally I'd say if you've already got lenses that are working well between both the 7D and 5D that you might be best set trying the lens swap lottery method of having your retailer exchange your 100mm for another. Sadly each of these processes has the potential for problems - either being lengthy in fix or being a lottery as to if you will or won't get what you desire.

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    7 Aug 2011 - 12:51 PM

Quote: if manual focused test shots (45degree angle onto a subject) still show that the sharpest point is softer than ideal then micro adjust won't be able to change that.

If that is the case then the lens needs to go back, but as it works fine on the 5D I doubt if this is the case.

Last Modified By cambirder at 7 Aug 2011 - 12:52 PM
    mikehit
    mikehit  46158 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Aug 2011 - 6:25 PM

I don't mean to insult you by asking such a basic question but are you comparing two pictures (one 5D and one 7D) at the same size or both at 100%? If both at 100% then you are looking at physically different-sized images.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.