Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 100mm Macro L

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Peter_West
    1 May 2013 - 6:35 AM

Hello All. Just taken delivery off a new Canon 100mm Macro L, really looking forward to trying it out out insects and plants, just a question i'll be using it on my 600D would you set the dial to the flower head for close up work, or does it mot matter, in other words is there any advantages to this setting with this lense, will try with and without this weekend, but just thought i get your thoughts on this, Thanks Pete

Last Modified By Peter_West at 1 May 2013 - 6:36 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 May 2013 - 6:35 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pink
    pink  111593 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    1 May 2013 - 7:13 AM

Pete,
    The custom setting on your camera will give you acceptable results but with certain aspects out of your control. On Macro I tend to use Aperture Priority (Av) mode, this lets you control the depth of field which is the critical aspect of Macro work, as long as you achieve a reasonably fast shutter speed then away you go. I would also recommend using a tripod, this helps you compse and more carefully consider your composition, this along with a cable release are essential elements.
    Enjoy you new lens!
    ian

mikehit
    mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    1 May 2013 - 8:57 AM

I would agree with pink. The 'flower' auto setting will give very good results but all images will end up with the same feel - same depth of field, same colour renditioning etc. The 'Av' setting is really the same thing with the advantage that it puts you in control of the aperture and can experiment with different 'effects'.
    Just be aware that the closer you are the more shallow the depth of field at any given aperture.

alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10529 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    1 May 2013 - 9:11 AM

I agree. I have a 5D Mk II which hasn't got the pre-sets. The flower puts the camera in control and it will optimise DoF and shutter speed, but to get the very best from the lens Av or manual are best. That puts you in control of the effect you want to get. That is a fabulous lens and I hope you get equally fabulous results. If you're unsure what you want there are lots of books available and tutorials on the web. EPZ has lots on macro to help. Just put macro in the search box.
    Cheers,
    Alan

Techno
    Techno  61006 forum posts England8 Constructive Critique Points
    1 May 2013 - 9:15 AM

Just been out on Safari with my new 100mm macro IS L well, the Botanical Gardens to be precise, not sure if loading example images is the done thing on these forums but here goes, my settings.....and indeed the image in question.
    3 images in a focus stack, AP, manual focus (of course), tripod, shutter release.
    5d2
    f2.8
    1/160
    iso100
    cyclamen-hederifolium-.jpg

I hope this is of help to you Pete, endorses Alan comments.
    Enjoy your new lens...

Peter_West
    1 May 2013 - 9:29 AM

Thanks all. Answer are much what I expected but just wanted your advice, canít wait to get out and try this lenses, build quality is what you expect with Canon lovely feel to it and not to heavy, but will still use my tripod and shutter release, just got a license to go on a SSSI site, in Lancashire called Gait Barrows, fields of wild flowers and loads of butterflies, now thatís a stunning picture Techno. Thanks Pete

Last Modified By Peter_West at 1 May 2013 - 9:30 AM
    dickb
    dickb  4 United Kingdom
    1 May 2013 - 3:49 PM

Dont forget if you can see the screen in live view you can magnify the image 10x for critical focus. This does show up poor tripods so 2sec delay and mirror lock up usefull!
    Rgards
    Richard

lawbert
    lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    1 May 2013 - 4:37 PM

Bin the tripod Pete....you have spent far to much money if you intend to use a tripod!!
    The IS works brilliantly...set the cameras shooting mode to AI servo to counteract your moving back and forwards slightly
    AV (aperture priority) is the setting you need....start at f4 on a subject in the house with reasonable light and then stop down and you will be amazed how low you can go on the shutter speed....go for iso at about 400 as this wont get to noisy.
    Ive had my 100mm L for a couple of years now and theres loads of pics taken with it in my PF

Heres a couple

MikeA
    MikeA  91174 forum posts England
    1 May 2013 - 6:36 PM

My nine year old nephew ask where is the Manual setting Wink

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    1 May 2013 - 7:20 PM

I am not sure if the OP has the IS version or not?

lawbert
    lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    1 May 2013 - 7:44 PM

Quote: I am not sure if the OP has the IS version or not?

If its an L as he said Adrian then it is the IS versionWink

If its not then its tripod time..hope for no wind...hope the subject isnt alive...plenty of flasks of brewTongueTongue

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    1 May 2013 - 8:51 PM

Thanks Paul - forgot about the "L" bit

All I can say to the OP is make the IS earn it's keepWink

Peter_West
    1 May 2013 - 8:58 PM

thanks all for replies, just looked at your gallery lawbert, that's what I aim to achieve I hope, how the hell did you get the dragon flies, every time I see one never keeps still and more at some speed I look a right one with head twisting all over looking where it's gone lol, Pete

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    2 May 2013 - 8:54 PM

Quote: how the hell did you get the dragon flies?

Trickery and if we were to tell you we would all die a painful death!!! Wink

Seriously though Smile Stealth, close study, patience and knowing what's the best time of day to shoot your subject. I always chase dragonflies early in the morning while there is still a chill in the air and a certain amount of morning dew about. With experience you then learn how you can even carefully handle them so you can set shots up....

Ade

Peter_West
    2 May 2013 - 9:48 PM

Cheers Ade, I usually up early anyway fishing, walking or birding, going to try this, lol cheers Pete WinkWink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.