Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 135mm prime vs f4 zoom

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AndyD999
    AndyD999  243 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Apr 2013 - 10:27 PM

Right folks,

I recently asked your advice about purchasing either a 70-200 2.8 vs a 70-200 f4 is

Thanks for the advice but I am going to throw another one into the mix

It will still be used as a lens for being a wedding assistant and for mountain bike sport photography plus any other work I pick up along the way. May be some portrait photography ect.

The lens is the canon L series 135mm f2.0. Given that I have a canon 7d the crop factor puts it at over 200mm so it covers the long end. I appreciate that it doesn't have IS but at F2 will I really need it?

What are people's thoughts on this lens? I have heard some great things about it! Does anyone have any experience with it in these sorts of situations?

Many thanks
    Andy

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Apr 2013 - 10:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56545 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 5:00 AM

Quote: it doesn't have IS but at F2 will I really need it

How often will you want to use it at f2 - at 50 feet the DOF will only be 3 feet which is pretty narrow. If the answer is 'rarely' then the maximum aperture is irrelevant because it is the working aperture that matters.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014838 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 9:03 AM

I swapped my 70-200 for the 135 at a lake in Tirol, Austria in October - after about 15 minutes of enjoying the 135, I was craving my 70-200 back...

the 135 is indeed a wonderful lens

but the 70-200 just offers more flexibility

thewilliam
    30 Apr 2013 - 9:59 AM

If you want a really nice 135mm lens, check out the new Zeiss apo-Sonnar. It's f2 and fully usable when wide-open.

I was tempted at FOCUS but She-who-must-be-obeyed pointed out that my Nikon 135mm DC is very nearly as good.

Wilco54
    Wilco54 e2 Member 2137 forum postsWilco54 vcard Luxembourg1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 10:17 AM

I love primes but for outdoor/sports photography the zooms give more flexibility. I think the 135mm is wonderful (I have used one but do not own one) but think it excels at portrait/people type photography. The question of IS is one for you - what apertures do you want to use (on the basis you prob cant shoot everything at f2) and can you get high enough shutter speed without loads of high iso noise?

thewilliam
    30 Apr 2013 - 12:07 PM

The main advantage of wide aperture in telephoto lenses is that they allow us to isolate our subject.

Just look at contemporary sports pictures and compare them with those from a generation ago, when a 600mm lens was f8 rather than f4. Fast auto-focus is needed if the subject is moving but portraiture is often better done with manual-focus.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 5:45 PM

i had one when i used to do rugby shots i used to have my canon 300 2.8 on one body & the f/2.0 on the other , nice & sharp but now i use the canon 100mm macro L IS F/2.8 . better i think weather sealed & has IS & i use for macro shots Wink

thewilliam
    30 Apr 2013 - 5:50 PM

Quote: I had one when i used to do rugby shots i used to have my canon 300 2.8 on one body & the f/2.0 on the other , nice & sharp but now i use the canon 100mm macro L IS F/2.8 . better i think weather sealed & has IS & i use for macro shots Wink

A macro lens for sport! Do you like to get really close to the action?

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 6:11 PM

100mm is 100mm great for shots for close mm to infinity Wink

thewilliam
    30 Apr 2013 - 11:35 PM

Macro lenses are usually designed to give their best performance when at close distances. Otherwise we'd save a few pounds by using tubes with a standard lens.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315487 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 11:44 PM

Quote: If you want a really nice 135mm lens, check out the new Zeiss apo-Sonnar

Zeiss apo what, you mean Cosina Smile

thewilliam
    1 May 2013 - 1:42 PM

The same! For some strange reason, the Cosina lenses were always better when they put somebody else's name on the front.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 1 May 2013 - 1:44 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.