Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon 1709 licence - do I indemnify canon?

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
26 Mar 2013 4:28PM
Canon's photo sharing site as announced on the epz News here has a licence terms I find hard to sign up for:

5.5 You will be responsible for indemnifying Canon against all damages, losses and expenses arising as a result of any action or claim relating to your content and an infringement of any intellectual property rights of a third party.

This to me means that if someone sue's Canon challenging my content, I'm liable for all their defence costs - even if its later proved in my favour.
Do you read it the same way?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
26 Mar 2013 4:33PM
It's one of those clauses that has to be put in to protect the provider from dubious crap that people get up to. Sadly innocent ones like us suffer because we have to agree to a term like that. The reality is, if you haven't nicked a photo it's highly unlikely that anyone will ever attempt to sue you (but no one can guarantee that will never happen - especially in this claim culture that's growing). I think if we read into t&cs of anything we would never join anything.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
26 Mar 2013 4:35PM
Thanks Pete, I'll think about it some more...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.