Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 1D mark 1

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    BenCherryPhotos

Hi There

I'm looking at getting a Canon 1d m 1.

I'm sure this has been talked about before but what do people think of it.

I have read reveiws saying how great it is, the 8.5 fps is very appealing for me.

But what do people think of only 4 megapixels?

Regards

Ben

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Oct 2007 - 4:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

da_nige
    da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
    6 Oct 2007 - 5:25 PM

there may only be 4MP but they are 4 good MP. What are you coming from? The 8.5fps are good but the AF is even more of an advantage.

OK so it looks like you're using a 30D Ben. Why do you want the 1D? Whats wrong with the 30D? Where are you finding it limiting?

Neil

Last Modified By da_nige at 6 Oct 2007 - 5:28 PM
    _
    _  9535 forum posts Virgin Islands, British4 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2007 - 6:01 PM

Pros
    Superb AF
    Superb viewfinder
    Good files for resizing
    Build quality
    Speed of handling files is super-fast

Cons
    Hellish battery life, 200 shots from a full charge in winter months
    Limited crop options from the 11.6Mb Tiffs
    Most have had a hard life
    Spare parts will soon become unavailable

I would have a good 1D before any 10,20 or 30D simply because of the focusing speed.

BenCherryPhotos

Da-nige

I want the 1D because i find the 30D's 5 fps a little limiting, i mainly do wildlife and action photography so i have lost some photographs because the 30D just isn't quite fast enough.

I'm not selling the 30D im just getting the 1D as a second good body.

da_nige
    da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
    6 Oct 2007 - 7:36 PM

I know exactly what you mean as I was in the same boat (but had a 20D - it was stolen) I now use a 1D2n. If you can I would try and stretch for a 1D2 or 1D2n over the 1D as to be honest I dont think you would use the 30D again. I haven't used my 10D since I got my 1D2n. The 1-series are superior(for me anyway) in everyway over the xxD series. I too shoot wildlife and a bit of action.

My advice is to seriously consider a 1D2 over the 1D and if you need to sell the 30D. I think if you keep it then you wont use your 30D much

Neil

Britman
    Britman  81669 forum posts England
    6 Oct 2007 - 10:49 PM

isn't it hard as hell to find any 1D's second hand?

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139450 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2007 - 11:46 PM

Quote: But what do people think of only 4 megapixels?

Well you'll find people gleefully waving their 5 megapixel camera phones at you and saying "My mobile's better than your great big camera"! Wink

samfurlong
    7 Oct 2007 - 12:05 AM

The 4MP is (as has already been said) a very good 4MP so the image quality is pretty good, although there's not much flexibility for cropping. Most will have been hammered by press togs and the high ISO noise is awful by todays standards, which may be a problem at sporting events. I think you'll be disappointed as the 30D's results will put it in the shade.
    Save up a bit more and go for a secondhand 1DMKII (they can be had for about 1400).

_
    _  9535 forum posts Virgin Islands, British4 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2007 - 7:44 PM

Quote: Most will have been hammered by press togs

I'd be interested to know why you think press togs hammer their kit more than any other group.

I've seen some great looking Hasselblads that are just junk simply because their internals have given out due to some serious studio use. Likewise I've seen some rough looking 400/2.8 lenses at the touchlines that deliver some of the sharpest shots you could imagine.
    Most press tog work is simple stuff like taking photos of ppl who have done/seen something odd. A little of it is covering politics and a bit is covering local sport. For most other things it is the agencies or the freelancers who get the shots.

My kit took more of a hammering when I was shooting wildlife than it does now that I'm doing press work.

J

samfurlong
    8 Oct 2007 - 9:27 AM

Because I am one and I see every day how myself and colleagues treat our kit. We do not do it intentionally but it is an incredibly time pressured job and there is simply no time to worry about your gear getting trashed.

At the local papers level you are right, most of it is simple portraits but when you shoot for an agency or the nationals it is a different game.

I work for an agency shooting for the nationals, a lot of my friends are also staffers on the nationals and a couple are freelancers.
    A simple sporting event is fine, but when you're there week in week out in the rain, it takes its toll, a cup final will see you all jostling for position at the presentations, cameras walloping against each other but you really don't have time to do anything about it (or to care) - for example, at last years Heineken cup final there were over 90 photographers there.
    A decent news job like the recent floods I did, involve wading through waist high water, cameras inevitably getting splashed, or try running 2 miles through knee high water as fast as you can because the inshore rescue people have promised you a ride on one of their boats - but they'reready to launch NOW! Cameras bashing against each other, getting splashed, oh yeah, it's raining too!! One day I went up with the RAF rescue helicopter but hadabout 10 mins to get to the airport so the gear just got slungin the footwell (which was full of mud, water, and other gear) of the car and I proceeded to drive quite quickly to the airport to catch them.
    Trust me, a camera body (even a 1D) has a life expectancy of 2 years - 3 if you treat it nicely.If it's not the bashing about that kills them, it will be the sheer number of shutter actuations.

Last Modified By samfurlong at 8 Oct 2007 - 9:34 AM
    samfurlong
    8 Oct 2007 - 9:44 AM

I think we are coming at press photography from different ends - that's all.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.