Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 1D Mk3 or Canon 5D Mk2

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

richarddevlin
30 Aug 2008 - 8:15 AM

Hello any help would be great, I finally decided to buy a 1d but am advised by the shop I should wait as there is a annoucement from canon expected.My questions are these even if it happens will a new camera really compare to a d1 and anyway will it not take ages for stock to come throught?Ive spend the last 2 months buying and selling lens (had ef-s) and now Im lossing my nerve!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Aug 2008 - 8:15 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2008 - 8:33 AM

first of all, what do you shoot mainly? Do you need a 1d body? Bear in mind 1d mk III is 1.3x crop and 5d mk II is full frame and probably won't have the speed of 1d mk III

User_Removed
30 Aug 2008 - 8:35 AM

Hi Richard

To be honest, I don't really understand how you are going to be able to decide between these two camera types as they are so completely different (accepting the 5D Mk2 is going to still be a FF camera like the original).

Did you mean the 1Ds Mk III and not the 1D Mk III by any chance?

Barrie Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 30 Aug 2008 - 8:40 AM
richarddevlin
30 Aug 2008 - 9:15 AM

I shoot mainly portraits but didnt want to buy a 5d because of the old tech and wanted some of the new bell/whistles althought the 1d is over kill Iwould rather go over the top than regret it even thought 1d seem to be 2400 pounds .Until the maybe 5d mk2 there really wasn t much of a choice so it was easy but now.......

User_Removed
30 Aug 2008 - 9:20 AM

Understand what you are saying Richard but the 1D III is a reduced sensor camera (1.3 crop as has been mentioned) whereas the 5D (and it's successor) is full frame, slower shooting rate, will have more pixels, blah de blah de blah Wink

As I imagine you know, the crop sensor has a dramatic effect on your lenses from the point of view of perspective and angle of view so this may well have a great bearing on your choice (if you shoot landscapes as well, you'll probably prefer the FF cameras for instance)

That's why I was saying, do you mean the 1Ds Mark III (FF) and not the 1D Mark III as this is more closely aligned to the 5D (Mark 2).

Last Modified By User_Removed at 30 Aug 2008 - 9:21 AM
culturedcanvas
30 Aug 2008 - 9:29 AM

At the end of the day Barrie it's still choosing between an SLR and an SLR ... it's not like he's trying to decide between LF and a 5D. There are times when your choice is between two items so far apart for different reasons ... and weighing up which is the best option is pretty hard.

Dan

User_Removed
30 Aug 2008 - 9:46 AM

Hi Dan

The difference is pretty fundamental and has a considerable bearing on the way you work. though perhaps not as 'dramatic' as your example Wink

Personally, I'd go for the FF as it gives you more flexibility.

Off to a wedding now at Chester Zoo - great fun!

Barrie Smile

culturedcanvas
30 Aug 2008 - 9:51 AM

It does make a difference I agree but I switch between 1.6 crop, 1.3 crop and full frame without too much adjustment. Personally I'd go full frame also but probably for slightly different reasons.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014141 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2008 - 9:52 AM

Quote: it's still choosing between an SLR and an SLR .

Isn't it actually choosing between an SLR that exists and an SLR that might exist at some point in the future?

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2008 - 10:39 AM

Quote: Off to a wedding now at Chester Zoo - great fun!

Are you finally making a honest monkey of that chimpaneze from the 2003 meet?

Tongue

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139445 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2008 - 11:57 AM

The Canon 5D (12.8Mp, full frame, 3fps, semi-pro body) and the 1D Mk III (10.3Mp, 1.3 crop, 10fps, pro body) serve different purposes.

First of all you have to decide where your main photographic activities will lie. Then you decide which camera.

Are you going to be out in all weathers taking sports and other action shots? If so, the 1D Mk III may suit. For most other stuff the 5D (and its successor) will be a cheaper and better option.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 30 Aug 2008 - 12:01 PM
richarddevlin
30 Aug 2008 - 1:26 PM

I understand what your saying and if I could define what I would shoot then it would be easier to decide its mainly portraits but also kids days out family stuff etc.It is the 1d not the 1ds and my decision is futher complicated by the fact that a friend has a 1d in mint condition 1 year old that he s willing to sell me for 1600 notes so he can buy a 1ds! from what I hear the new 5d will be at this price point maybe higher!So if price isn t the issue what do to ...my head hurts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139445 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2008 - 1:33 PM

The 1D III is not normally thought of as a portrait camera. Nor is it usually used for days out with the kids! Wink

Why is your friend really getting rid of his camera? Does is have the well-documented autofocus problems that have afflicted the 1D III (and indeed 1Ds III)? If so, make sure that has been sorted if you decide to buy.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 30 Aug 2008 - 1:35 PM
richarddevlin
30 Aug 2008 - 3:21 PM

Whilst it is true that the 1d isn t usually thought of as either a portrait camera or for days out with the kids I was trying to say that it would have to do many DIFFERENT things.Anyway 1d went back to canon in april for fixes and clean etc

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2008 - 3:35 PM

From what you describe, If I were you, I will probably wait for the 5D mk II.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.