Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 1Ds mark lll 2 different memory cards !!!!!!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

harrysnotter
25 Jan 2008 - 7:56 PM

Quote: I rather like the idea adopted by Nikon where the pair are linked to follow on and the second card can also be used as back up file...

I was under the impression you could write the same image to both cards, write RAW to one and jpeg to another, or fill one card and then fill the other... That's the same as the 1DsMk3 as far as I know

However, none of this gives rhyme nor reason to your objetion to SD over CF cards... what odds does it make? Memory is cheap - memories are priceless.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jan 2008 - 7:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
25 Jan 2008 - 7:59 PM

Quote: I rather like the idea adopted by Nikon where the pair are linked to follow on and the second card can also be used as back up file, also to remember on the Ds lll a top raw file only gives you 36 images per Mb, not many shots unless you start using 8Mb cards which I think is to many to lose

I think you mean Gb not Mb. I don't think using such a large card on such a high res camera is a problem because as you you say you don't get so many on a card so you don't lose so many.

You can do the same linking on the Canon, either writing to the second card when the first is full or writing to both so you have a back up. CF cards are pretty reliable (unless you buy them cheap off Ebay). The option I would use would be to write Raw files to a 8Gb CF cards, and large Jpegs to a smaller SD card as a back-up.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
25 Jan 2008 - 9:19 PM

Quote: Hey Im from Scotland, we go out in gales in T-shirts and short bro.

Is this 'cos you've spent all your money on photo kit ?

Quote: I know of a brand new D300 that was 2hrs out the shop when the card was forced in the wrong way and bust the camera.

...bet he wished he'd gone for SD cards

Stay lucky.....Mike

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82271 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2008 - 9:53 PM

I read once that the main advantage of such an arrangement is:

1. Choice of card
2. Simutaneous writing of an image to both cards. Given the risk of card failure and accidental deletion - this is like an auto back up. For some pro's I imagine this can be a real life saver.

Still think 6 grand is a lot to pay for a camera... (sighs and goes off to buy a lottery ticket).

Adam

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123851 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2008 - 10:22 AM

Certainly for me the facility of having two cards in a camera one backing the other up is highly advantageous at weddings; I sleep well at nights because of it.
I run a 1DMkII and 1DSMkII; a lot of wedding pros run the 5D which is a great camera but only one card therefore it can only ever for me be a back up body; I know that recovery software has improved but it can't take the place of backed up images.

samfurlong
26 Jan 2008 - 3:17 PM

I find the SD card slot handy in the MKIIN / MKIII as you can take the SD out and put it straight ito a PDA to wire images (not all PDA's have a CF slot). Granted I generally use a laptop but on jobs where that's not practical I shoot on an SD.

As for saving camera settings on a card, this works just the same on a DF as an SD

I like the two different formats - it's just extra flexibility. Remember, the 1D series was originally designed for photojournalists and canon listened to what we wanted when designing it. Someone somewhere must have seen the dual card slots of the old olympus E10 and though 'brillian, I wish my canon had that' and canon obliged.

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2008 - 3:25 PM

Quote: bet he wished he'd gone for SD cards

In that case yes lol Smile

Though saying that SDs are not without there faults, Ive seen the locking mechanism break off on many cards and usually in the locked position. Which isnt too good :-(

BevHadland
27 Jan 2008 - 12:10 PM

I stand corrected Gb's was meant, well its nearing D day or should that be C day, as it will be the last camera I buy and for the want of larger file size plus being a Canon bod since the F1 its the Ds lll. The cards, well I except the fact that even 2 different cards are better than 1 what ever the formula,I think Sam's explanation is somewhere near it. thanks for the opinions

park my ferret
27 Jan 2008 - 2:19 PM

I prefer having two different slots rather than two of the same, for varying reasons - some of which have been mentioned - plus sd cards tend to be cheaper than cf cards these days too.

I can't see how that minor point would ever tip the balence as to what camera you're gonna buy considering all the other features that the cameras have ... to me whats far more important would be features like quality, iso performance, sensor cleaning, and lens focus tunability - which the canon has too.

Last Modified By park my ferret at 27 Jan 2008 - 2:20 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.