Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 200-400 f4 + 1.4x built in

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Steppenwolf
23 Aug 2012 - 3:46 PM

Two obvious problems. Firstly these telephoto zooms are pretty pointless nowadays for stills cameras with interchangeable lenses. Most of these zooms (100-400mm, 200-400mm, 200-500mm etc) tend to get used at their extreme telephoto end, for the simple reason that they're bloody heavy, and shorter zooms usually work better at the lower focal length range anyway. So you're better off using a good prime lens which will deliver better IQ. Secondly, why put the TC in the lens? The concept of matched TCs (i.e. TCs that are matched to a range of lenses) has been around a long time and works well.

It looks like something that's designed for extremely lazy Yanks who have more money than sense. It's a 200-560 f4- 5.6 with a gimmick.

Last Modified By Steppenwolf at 23 Aug 2012 - 3:51 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Aug 2012 - 3:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

smartwombat
23 Aug 2012 - 9:08 PM

It has a small appeal, it's weatherproofed, internal focus, internal zoom, and you don't have to expose the camera to the elements to add/remove the 1.4x which is only useful to a few people.
If you need it because you work in adverse conditions and want good quality, then you might make money from your photograph and can afford it.

It would replace my 100-400 L which is not weather sealed, and has terrible vignetting wide open, only working acceptably a couple of stops down. It may have an L label on but it's not up the quality of my 70-200 L.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.