Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon 24-105 L lenses - date questions?

KingBee e2
8 399 2 Scotland
4 Feb 2013 8:48PM
As a prospective buyer who hopes to purchase such a lens fairly soon, can anyone enlighten me, please, on the frequently frenetic questioning one sees on eBay (for example) about manufacturing dates for Canon 24-105 L series lenses? What's the big deal about the date? I really don't know the answer to this, nor can I begin to image why anyone should ask the question, and would welcome views from any of you who may be knowledgeable in this area.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gary_d e2
7 576 13 Wales
4 Feb 2013 9:03PM
All I can think is there may have been a bad batch that had problems so the date of manufacture would be important.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
4 Feb 2013 9:10PM
There were some complaints with early models and equally (or not) twice as many silent non complainers. i wouldn't get bogged down with worry unduly.
Japanese companies like Canon practice a policy of continuous improvement (Google Ďkaizení or Ď5Sí if youíre interested). One outcome of this is that late-production lenses sometimes have improvements that early-production examples lack.

For instance, early examples of the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM had a well-known problem with flare . Canon fixed affected lenses if the customer requested a fix, but some owners might not have asked for the fix.

I doubt many of those lenses are still being sold on eBay, but I suppose itís worth checking.

One strange problem with some examples of this particular lens is that itís IS system seems to cause blurring at some aperture and shutter-speed combinations. Ironically, this seems restricted to late-production examples. You might want to Google ĎIS blurring 24-105í for details before plunking down your hard-earned.
Steve_S e2
9 176 3 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2013 9:34PM
Its wise to ask the age of any lens you are considering buying! With the 24-105 there have been reported issues with sticking aperture mechanisms (as a result of wear in a ribbon cable) giving an error code.From what I can make out IF the error occurs it can be anything from 18 months to 5 years from manufacture.
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
5 Feb 2013 6:31AM
you don't say what camera your going to buy to go with the lens , read here might help you make up your mind though .and here
KingBee e2
8 399 2 Scotland
5 Feb 2013 2:05PM

Quote:I doubt many of those lenses are still being sold on eBay, but I suppose itís worth checking.

There are loads of them on eBay on any given day you care to look, some new for prices as low as around the £580 mark, but mostly pre-owned and used, which tend to go for around £500.

Quote:For instance, early examples of the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM had a well-known problem with flare. Canon fixed affected lenses if the customer requested a fix, but some owners might not have asked for the fix.

Quote:One strange problem with some examples of this particular lens is that itís IS system seems to cause blurring at some aperture and shutter-speed combinations. Ironically, this seems restricted to late-production examples. You might want to Google ĎIS blurring 24-105í for details before plunking down your hard-earned.

Quote:With the 24-105 there have been reported issues with sticking aperture mechanisms (as a result of wear in a ribbon cable) giving an error code.From what I can make out IF the error occurs it can be anything from 18 months to 5 years from manufacture.

This is enough to make me have a re-think about buying a 24-105 at all.

Quote:you don't say what camera your going to buy to go with the lens , read here might help you make up your mind though .and here

Actually, I was planning to stick the lens on my (currently-lensless) 350D, which I used to use to great effect with my 17-40L until I got a 40D, and that's where the 17-40 sits now. I've just sold my Canon 28-105 on eBay with a view to upgrading to the 24-105, since everything I'd ever read about the latter suggested it's one of the best 'walk around' Canon lenses you can buy. Now I'm not so sure. I have nearly £400 going spare so if anyone has any bright ideas, lens-wise ........ (that would perfectly pair with a 350D, that is).

Quote:There are loads of them on eBay on any given day you care to look, some new for prices as low as around the £580 mark, but mostly pre-owned and used, which tend to go for around £500.

Sorry, I meant eBay probably doesnít still have many lenses from the early batch with the flare problem.

The IS-blur problem is very easy to spot if you can get your hands on the lens (so not much use for eBay, but easy to do if you can handle the lens in a shop). See this thread for the gory details.

This lens has no close alternative in Canon mount if you want all of its key features: full-frame, flexible zoom range, constant f/4, good build quality, good optical quality, and image stabilisation. Nikon has a very similar 24-120 mm f/4 lens, but thatís not much use to you. There are no third-party equivalents. Canon has a new EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM, but itís far more expensive despite its shorter range.

However, you mention a Ďwalk aroundí lens. Would you consider the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, which is designed specifically for APS-C cameras and has a much wider angle of view at the wide end? Thereís a fun (and useful) review of that lens here , by the inimitable Hawaiian Peter Kun Frary.
KingBee e2
8 399 2 Scotland
5 Feb 2013 3:39PM
Thanks Samuel. I read Frary's review - fun it is, indeed! Then I checked out the price of the 15-85 on Amazon, and was nearly knocked out. I never expected to see a non-L lens go for so much money (invariably more than I would pay for a used 24-105 on eBay, and I could almost get a new one for a few quid more). How does that come about? The 15-85 does look a cracker, though.

OK, here's the thing: as stated earlier, I have a 17-40L aleady, and that's a beaut. I also have a Panasonic G3 with 14-45 (metal mount) and that delivers great image quality also. I did think a 24-105 would complete my happiness but you've really made me think about what would go best with my 350D (I guess putting a 24-105L on a low-end body is maybe like getting an Arab stallion to pull a cart). Perhaps the specific APS-C compatability of the 15-85 would work best, but it's so close in focal length to my other lenses that I wonder if I really need it. I had thought about Canon's 18-200 but that gets some mixed reviews.

At the end of the day, it's 'walk around' that is the priority. I just need to decide what's best for me in that category. The 15-85 would certainly be a very strong contender, from what I've seen, but I need to do some more looking around..
mcgannc e2
6 389 3 England
5 Feb 2013 4:46PM
Just recently got the 24-105 from Panamoz - grey import obviously but service was excellent and came with a free 1yr replacement warranty should it develop any faults. Ordered it on Sunday 27th Jan, and received it on Friday 1st Feb. Picked up a hoya UV, and Digital Circular Polariser also for a snip of the price they go for in this country.

Worth a look if you have no issues re the 'grey import' bit!

Chris

EDIT: The 15-85 will be a fair bit cheaper on that site too!
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
5 Feb 2013 5:55PM
if you only want a walk about , get a canon G12 just like a mini DSLR Wink
Steve_S e2
9 176 3 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2013 8:00PM
"This is enough to make me have a re-think about buying a 24-105 at all"

I wouldn't let these issues put you off....it didn't with me! Its an excellent lens. Don't forget that for every person who has a problem there are countless others who will never have a problem, but they aren't as vocal!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.