Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 24-105 Vignetting

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    RobboB
    RobboB e2 Member 777 forum postsRobboB vcard United Kingdom
    22 Mar 2012 - 12:23 PM

I have researched at length the eternal debate between the merits of the Canon 24-70 versus the 24-105...don't worry, don't want to rehash that here except for one technical point because I am not very technical about these things!

I have read that the 24-105 suffers from vignetting more than the 24-70, at "wider apertures and wide open", however I have also read that for sharpness and overall performance the two lenses are indistinguishable at f8 - f16. I will almost exclusively shoot within this range so my question is will I not need to worry about vignetting at 24-28mm as long as I shoot at around f8?

Sorry if this sounds numpty....

Cheers

Robert

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Mar 2012 - 12:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

johnnyboy114
    22 Mar 2012 - 2:37 PM

I own the 24-105 and have shot with the 24-70 many times and practically, you won't see much of a difference stopped down and at the edges of their performance, the things you talk about are minimal. Yes, there might be a touch more vignetting in the longer lens, but I like the versatility of the longer focal length and the vignette is almost unnoticable in many shooting situations, even wide open. I personally would try both in a shop if I were you, but I think you may find that the difference, especially when you are shooting at f8-f16 is really minimal. Both are superb lenses. I love mine! Its my staple lens. I wouldn't bother with the smaller lens...if I needed the bigger aperture, I would go with a prime or a 70-200 and zoom down.....you won't regret buying either lens, but you have to weigh up the pros and cons of both. Longer focal lengh vs one more stop of light, large cost increase vs tiny, tiny degredation of quality at extremes of use....etc etc....

Choice is yours.... Smile

adrian_w
    adrian_w e2 Member 73352 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Mar 2012 - 3:04 PM

I have the 24-105 on my 5DII & have never seen any vignetting even at 24. Maybe this is a problem when filter holders are used which can intrude slightly.

RobboB
    22 Mar 2012 - 3:53 PM

Many thanks Johnny and Adrian, pretty much what I thought. I am off to try the 24-105 and probably buy.
    Cheers
    R

pulsar69
    pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Mar 2012 - 4:22 PM

I own two 24-105s and a 24-70 , the pair of the 24-105s definitely suffer more with vignetting , and obviously there is an advantage in picture quality to be gained from the lovely bokeh of the 24-70 2.8, however its a lot more heavy aswell. I shoot weddings mainly now with the 24-70 ...

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53626 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Mar 2012 - 4:43 PM

I have a 24-105 on my APS-c 60D. i assumed on such a small sensor there was no vignetting.

Yet when i pull an image into lightroom 4 and click on the "correct for lens distortion" button the image gets appreciably lighter towards the edges - So whilst there is no visible dark ring vignette, i do believe it vignettes even on aps-c.

i wish i had a 24-70 to confirm that this was not affected.

I also took on the debate between the 2 lenses as at the time they were the same price - i do think overall i got the more generally usable lens with my fairly caper able high iso 60D.
    The 24-70 might be a tad sharper and that extra stop/ background blur capability would be nice if i ever got a 2nd lens to go with the 24-105.

User_Removed
    22 Mar 2012 - 5:56 PM

No vignetting here either. Wink

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62478 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    22 Mar 2012 - 8:46 PM

In a way does optical vignetting matter?
    I recall when Pop Photo tested the 24-105 they reported vignetting did not fully clear up until f13 - which they described as "not good".
    4 years ago when I got the Nikon D3 vignetting was severe with the 14mm and 20mm primes - and I quickly sold both lenses.
    Shortly after Nikon issued firmware updates providing more vignette control in camera (if selected), and each new generation of camera improves vignette control - to the extent a borrowed 14mm prime was completely tamed at f2.8 on my current D3s.
    Any wide angle 24 to something zoom has a fair amount of vignetting wide open with vignette control set to nil. I would expect Canon, like Nikon, to show virtually none on a modern body with sensible use of vignette control, or suitable post processing.

Dave_Canon
    23 Mar 2012 - 7:28 PM

There is some slight vignetting for some setting of this lens but so what? I use use the lens correction feature of Lightroom or Adobe Raw and it automatically corrects this anyway. Of course I often choose to intentionally add vignetting to darken the edges particularly for landscapes. The lens correction panel has manual settings for this as well. I have never owned the 24-70mm but do own the 24-105mm which is the best (not the most expensive) lens I have ever bought and use it for about 75% of my photography. If I did not have the reach to 105mm it would be of much less value to me particularly on a full frame camera.

Dave

RobboB
    25 Mar 2012 - 12:09 PM

Thanks everyone. I now have a 24-105 and can't wait to get out and try it. This will also be my default walkabout lens for holidays.

Last Modified By RobboB at 25 Mar 2012 - 12:14 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.