Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 2X telecon

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Graywolf
    Graywolf  7964 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 Jul 2011 - 7:27 PM

I am now the proud owner of a Canon 500mm f4 and a 1D MKiv so you can guess what I'm going to be doing when I retire.
    I still have some money left in my photography budget so this is a question for wildlife photographers using the 500mm lens as I would like real world experience. Is it worth getting a 2X converter for the 500mm and if so is the MK III worth the extra over the MK II?

My main reservations about it would be the degradation in IQ which you can't do much about rather than the limitations of autofocus on a 1D body which to some extent can be overcome or at least lived with.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Jul 2011 - 7:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jul 2011 - 10:18 PM

If you havn't already got one I would get the 1.4X extender first. I find it almost essential and have it on the lens 90% of the time.
    You can get good images from a 2X extender but you need a rock solid tripod, good long lens technique and preferably to stop down a couple of stops.
    The 2X extender is handy to have but I find it's best used only when absolutely necessary, wheras the 1.4X extender can be pretty much left on your lens with absolutely minimal loss in quality and a high keeper rate.
    Your number of keepers with a 2X extender will be much, much lower.
    From the reviews I've read, there's no improvement in image quality on the 2X Mk III extender over the Mk II version.

User_Removed
    1 Jul 2011 - 10:25 PM

I have to agree with Justin 100%.

I bought a Nikon 2x telecon a long while ago - but the number of time I wished I'd bought a 1.4 for the same reasons Justin calls out - are legion.

HTH's...

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jul 2011 - 10:30 PM

Justin - out of interest which reviews have you read? From what I recall the 1.4TC M2 to M3 has almost no major changes in image quality (there is an overall improvement, but not enough for most to justify the cost) but with the 2*TC the difference was more noticeable (esp in the corners of 1.3 and fullframe cameras).

Graywolf
    1 Jul 2011 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for the input. Yes I do have a 1.4x MKII and like you it stays on for most of the time.

The money I would spend on on a 2X might well be more usefully spent on something else, and at the moment you're definitely swaying me against it. Thanks for your help.

justin c
    justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jul 2011 - 10:47 PM

Quote: Justin - out of interest which reviews have you read?

This was one review I've read. I've also read another couple of reports that state the Mk III is no better (optically) than the Mk II version, I can't remember where I read them though.

samfurlong
    2 Jul 2011 - 8:21 AM

I use the exact same gear as you Graywolf, and I have both the 1.4 and the 2x (mkII) convertor.
    The best advice is alwways to stop down 2 stop when using a doubler to preserve as much image quality as you can - obviously as you loose 2 stops anyway, on the 500 f4 you are effectively down to f16 , sometimes f11 if conditions are right - to maintain reasonable IQ...

I am told the new mk3 is better but am waiting to borrow one to try out - will let you know the results when I do.

In a nutshell ... I wouldn't be in any rush to get one.

Graywolf
    3 Jul 2011 - 9:18 AM

[quote

In a nutshell ... I wouldn't be in any rush to get one.
    [/quote]

No I think you're right. I was taking pictures of san martins and I just wasn't quite getting the images I wanted. A 2X would probably have done it, but changing position would too. The problem was I was on a bridge and getting closer would have meant standing in the River Lune. It was at that point I started thinking about 2X converters.

I think a more creative approach to position would be a better answer.

Thanks again for the input guys, very helpful.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.