Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 30D and 400D - how do you feel?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2006 - 1:13 AM

Well its going to get interesting with the new boy Sony on the block. Canon and Nikon will be taking a close look at what Sony is doing. Sony are experts at marketing and might shake up Canon and Nikon a lot.. Smile

Your going to see Canon and Nikon trying to make their entry models very appealing to stop new users going to a Sony set up.

Time will tell.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Aug 2006 - 1:13 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chrisheathcote
chrisheathcote e2 Member 8241 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
26 Aug 2006 - 8:38 AM

Does anyone know how much the 400D is coming in at? Was going to get a 350D but now not sure.

ruralscotland
26 Aug 2006 - 9:48 AM

I did hear 649, but would expect it to come down a bit from that.

Allan

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2006 - 11:21 PM

Expect them it and the D80 to go to 599 in some form to go head to head with the Sony...

Nikon doing memory card (512 which is sadly small in todays market) so you might see something sim from canon.

Going to be interesting as both will be in the shops in time for Xmas. Good old 3 way cat fight Smile for new users me thinks.

Tommy

Superficial
28 Aug 2006 - 9:06 PM

Having just bought a 30D, I was a bit concerned that the 350D's update (which I now know is the 400D) would undercut it and that I should have waited for one. However, seeing the differences between the 350 and the 400, and the fact that the 400D remains the same size as the 350, I am convinced that I made the right decision.

Basically this update looks very good on paper and will probably sell plenty (take some of the wind out of Sony's sales, anyway), but in actuality I don't think it's significantly better than the 350D (for me). Only time will tell I guess (when we get some proper reviews).

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123952 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2006 - 9:42 PM

(-: (-:
Quote: Sony are experts at marketing and might shake up Canon and Nikon a lot.. Smile

Smile Smile

We as photographers know the names Canon and Nikon very well but which name does the average consumer know? Which name does the non photographer know?

Titter .... Peter

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
28 Aug 2006 - 11:21 PM

Quote: We as photographers know the names Canon and Nikon very well but which name does the average consumer know? Which name does the non photographer know?

Well they don't know what an SLR is, so are unlikely to purcase one from anyone.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139461 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2006 - 11:27 PM

Yes, that true. I used the term 'SLR camera' in a conversation with an affluent, knowledgeable lawyer a few days ago.

He had no idea whatever, what sort of camera I meant.....

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2006 - 1:01 AM

Quote: He had no idea whatever, what sort of camera I meant.....

This is percisely the point. The only way manufacturers can retain profit is by increasing volume. The existing "dSLR" market is too small for them to do so. There is a need to educate and introduce new dSLR users, who presently just know point and shoot, and in fact probably dont want to take the time over their shots as many existing dSLR TOGS do. One way of doing so is with creative point and shoot. Mike

LeeMoz
LeeMoz  8
9 Sep 2006 - 12:17 PM

I bought a 30D only 2 weeks ago, and obviously was disappointed to hear that Canon were bringing out an entry level camera with 2 million more megapixels. I still know I've made the right decision buying it because I wanted a camera that was larger and more robust than the entry level cameras (its a beaut to handle.) Obviously Joe Public thinks that megapixels are the be-all-and-end-all of image quality when lens quality is the most important factor, and also sensor quality. I know the difference in image quality will be minimal, but I wonder which will actually be better - as the 30D has a slightly larger sensor, and better operational specs. Anyone guess??

CanonMan
CanonMan e2 Member 12489 forum postsCanonMan vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2006 - 12:25 PM

Went into Jessops to have a feel of the 400D today. Obviously, the 10MP would be nice, but that aside, I just don't like the feel of the 400D - it's too small for me to handle. I'm happy with my 30D. A bit of auto-sensor dust cleaning on the 30D would have been nice, though!

richijenkin
1 Dec 2006 - 11:06 PM

I just sold my 350d for 350, added 100 to it and brought the 400d. I think its definetely worth the extra 100.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.